Options

Frankie Boyle’s Tramadol Nights

Comments

• Options
    barkleybarkley Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Chwast wrote: »
    last nights viewing figures down to 575,000.

so much for the theory that "controversy attracts viewers" :cool:
    makins wrote: »
    So there was something funny about his show after all.. the ratings :D
    kpmfan wrote: »
    :D:D:D Very true

His fans don't appear to think his show losing half it's viewers by the end of it's run is funny. Then again, the fact that they don't kinda makes it even funnier for everyone else. Which is nice.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkley wrote: »
    His fans don't appear to think his show losing half it's viewers by the end of it's run is funny. Then again, the fact that they don't kinda makes it even funnier for everyone else. Which is nice.

Ok i am a fan and YES i know it lost viewers it still does not mean that i did not find a lot that was funny in it because i did, not asking you to agree you seem to be content to keep parotting on about his fans do not get it well yes i do thanks very much.

You are obviously not a fan why do you feel the need to keep posting in the thread i wonder other then to annoy.:confused:
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is it funny that a show lost some viewers? I couldn't give a stuff what other people want to watch!

Like, some people buy the Daily Mail. They're idiots! But I just let them get on with it.

Anyway, I enjoyed this series- eps 3,4, and 5 were my favourites- had me laughing my little stripy socks off!

And before anyone accuses me of being a 'fan'- I'm no knee-jerk defender of the man. I just like what he does, and he's very good at it, which is a kind of cathartic bloodletting of some of the worst aspects of humanity through humour. Personally, I think he's a very moral person, but his comic persona is very much amoral, or even intentionally immoral.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very funny series some quite rather did he actually say that gags?

Lots of people up in arms about him.

Boyle being controversial surely not!

Personally I don't care I like his humour.

As always if you don't like him don't watch him.

I dodn't like Roy Chubby Brown's humour but he hasa massive following & always sells very well when he does shows in my city.

So stop complaining.
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    You are obviously not a fan why do you feel the need to keep posting in the thread i wonder other then to annoy.:confused:

It's not annoying me, people can post whatever they like you're not a moderator, suck it up. And I do find it funny that his attempts to drum up viewers through controversy has backfired so spectacularly. Then again I don't find naming and picking on a disabled kid on national telly particularly funny.
  • Options
    kpmfankpmfan Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    One minute the fans are saying people complaining and being offended is what Boyle wants because it all adds to the publicity and attracts viewers, the next they're saying stop complaining because he's lost half his audience as a result of all the hoohah. You guys really need to get your story straight.
  • Options
    RutakatekiRutakateki Posts: 2,716
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People who like Frankie Boyle's comedy aren't a homogenous group you know. We are capable of having differing opinions :D
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    He was quite vocal about the show not coming back before the first episode even aired, so I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that he was expecting to have a massive hit on his hands.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He was quite vocal about the show not coming back before the first episode even aired, so I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that he was expecting to have a massive hit on his hands.

Probably because most people could see through the 'it will be pulled after the first episode' speech as a transparent attempt to drum up some publicity, i.e. billing it as 'too hot for TV' and 'watch it while you can!' 'I'm the most dangerous man on television. Pedophile! Rape! There, that shocked you didn't it!' etc.

I fail to believe that someone who's so desperate to court controversy at every turn wasn't hoping for a ton of attention from this. Unfortunately for him the show has mostly been met with yawns and disappointment.

Anyone remember a sketch Adam & Joe did about 10 years ago, 'Media Chaos Collective' I think it was called? This reminds me of an unironic version of that.
  • Options
    The TerminatorThe Terminator Posts: 5,312
    Forum Member
    Deleted, alert button is the people's friend apparently.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barkley wrote: »
    The adverse publicity didn't attract an audience, it turned it off.

I was thinking more of the ones who buy tickets for his shows and his DVDs. It's obviously a small group from the viewing figures but if only a proportion of that figure buy a DVD then it is quite lucrative.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    perhaps they need to tone the next series down if there is one and see how it goes for a more mainstream audience.
    That would defeat the object. What they need to do is make it funnier. (Some) people will put up with a lack of political correctness if it is funny.
    How is mocking the disabled - in any context - funny?
    When they deserve it? They aren't all saints, you know.

Another answer is when it's actually mocking the people who feel weird around disabled people by saying what they are thinking. Another is when the mocking includes wit or insight.

Frankie didn't always achieve any of these goals, but that doesn't make the disabled into sacred cows.
    elnombre wrote: »
    Probably because most people could see through the 'it will be pulled after the first episode' speech as a transparent attempt to drum up some publicity, i.e. billing it as 'too hot for TV' and 'watch it while you can!'
    Dara tweeted that Frankie had made a lot of the jokes on Mock the Week, but the editor cut them out. Knowing it had been censored before, Frankie could have reasonably thought it might be censored again, whatever C4 had told him. For all we know, some of his material may have been cut even from TN.

Arguably some of what was broadcast should have been cut. Not much, just a line or two from each episode. Much of the outrage is focussed on a tiny part of the show.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He's trying too hard to be like Bill Hicks. Until he knows what he's ranting on about, he should continue to stfu otherwise.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hallam wrote: »
    It's not annoying me, people can post whatever they like you're not a moderator, suck it up. And I do find it funny that his attempts to drum up viewers through controversy has backfired so spectacularly. Then again I don't find naming and picking on a disabled kid on national telly particularly funny.

No i am not a moderator but am free to post my view that if you do not like the show why keep posting in a thread about it continually ,or do you have to be a moderator to do that.:D

Yes okay i agree about the disabled kid but have to admit the mother usues him as a prop to earn cash through magazines i find that equally offensive i am afraid.

Why accuse somebody of not being a "moderator " by the way i have never seeked to stop anybody posting as if i could.I just question why they would repeatedly if they hated the subject of the thread simples really.
  • Options
    ChwastChwast Posts: 322
    Forum Member
    No i am not a moderator but am free to post my view that if you do not like the show why keep posting in a thread about it continually

probably because this isn't the frankie boyle appreciation thread, which has actually died on its arse after two pages due to lack of interest.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chwast wrote: »
    probably because this isn't the frankie boyle appreciation thread, which has actually died on its arse after two pages due to lack of interest.

I agree.:D Thanks for your challenging opinion.;)
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    brangdon wrote: »
    Dara tweeted that Frankie had made a lot of the jokes on Mock the Week, but the editor cut them out. Knowing it had been censored before, Frankie could have reasonably thought it might be censored again, whatever C4 had told him. For all we know, some of his material may have been cut even from TN.

Arguably some of what was broadcast should have been cut. Not much, just a line or two from each episode. Much of the outrage is focussed on a tiny part of the show.

Why should they be cut? They only cause outrage in the eyes of Daily Mail readers. Since when did comedy start having limits?
  • Options
    DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hasn't he said that his current tour is his last ever? If so, then whatever the format of his next TV venture, it'll certainly be different from TN.
  • Options
    hallamhallam Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Since when did comedy start having limits?

On national public service tv channels? Probably only since the year dot.
  • Options
    brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    Why should they be cut? They only cause outrage in the eyes of Daily Mail readers. Since when did comedy start having limits?
    Comedy has always had limits. Perhaps you haven't found yours yet. It's not only Daily Mail readers who thought the show crossed a line.

The joke I think should have been cut was the one about Jordan marrying a cage fighter because she needed someone strong enough to stop her disabled son, Harvey, from raping her. I think it should have been cut because: (a) It made no sense. I have no idea where the connection between Harvey and rape comes from. (b) It's not funny. It has no wit or insight. (c) It implies a connection between autism and moral degeneracy, which is in bad taste. (d) It attacks, by name, an 8-year-old boy who is blameless, and who has not chosen to live in the public eye. (It wouldn't bother me what he said about Jordan herself.)

So the show would have been better if that line had been cut. Leaving it in caused much of the rest of the episode to be eclipsed.

It'll be interesting to see what Ofcom rule.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting to see what Ofcom rule.

I'd guess the complaints will be upheld, but channel 4 won't get fined. The culture secretary complained personally and I can't see ofcom wanting to cross him in times of massive government cutbacks.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Comedy has always had limits. Perhaps you haven't found yours yet. It's not only Daily Mail readers who thought the show crossed a line.

Why is it always "Daily Mail readers", I am sure people who object to the programme read a whole range of papers even if the ones who like it are mainly Daily Star readers. :=)
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Why is it always "Daily Mail readers", I am sure people who object to the programme read a whole range of papers even if the ones who like it are mainly Daily Star readers. :=)

I hate the Daily Star but like Frankie Boyle.

I actually read the idependant.:D

Yes you are right we read a whole range of papers.:)
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    If you watch this series on new years day at 3am after a pale load of spirits it's not too bad.....I think.
  • Options
    RichardcoulterRichardcoulter Posts: 30,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problem. You are suggesting that people are naturally racist. Exhibit 'A', m'laud:

Your words. Furthermore, people are not 'naturally racist' and by believing so, you are a moron. Instead of trying to act so high and mighty, why don't you climb down off your little soap box and explain why you have formed such a ludicrous and absurd opinion?

Then send me your lawsuit. I must make you aware though, I'll deal with it in the manner it warrants. :rolleyes: :D

You don't need to suggest that I believe that people are naturally racist as I have clearly stated this.

As you seem incapable of asking your questions in a proper manner, they will remain unanswered.