Kwikfit broke locking wheel nut

DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Bit of a long one, maybe.

Not last Monday, the Monday before I got a flat tyre. Called out the AA as I was on the A14 and right next to the busy road. They came out, put my spare on and I went on my way.

Got to work and called a mobile tyre fitting service to replace both my front tyres as theyre both were getting worn. He did the one with the spare ok and but said the other is reply tight and it may break the key. I said 'go for it, try it, I need a new tyre' so he did, and broke the key. Bugger.

Ordered a new key on the tuesday, £24 and ten days later I picked it up yesterday. Went to Kwikfit (I know, I know!) and forgot the new key, he saw the old one and said 'broken, blah,blah' so i said 'oh i do have a new one st home, i got it yesterday, hang on ill go and get it' and i explained what had happened with the flat tyre and the mobile fitting company etc.

So I went home, brought the New key and a minute later the guy came into reception to say he'd broken it, the wheel was on too tight. I said 'ah no way, just bought that, what am I going to do' he said I could try a few local garages.

So I went to a garage and he said he didn't have the gear, but to go back to kwikfit and get a refund on the wheel key. So I went home and explained to my husband what happened and he said 'yes, they broke it, get a refund!', also asked Facebook and they all said kwikfit should refund me.

So I went cpback to kwikfit, they don't want to know and when i asked 'what am i going to do?' they said I need to find a garage that can take off the wheel and they don't know any!

So, after all that, does anyone know
- where I stand with a refund from kwikfit
- what can I do about the wheel! I've called 2 garages and they can't do anything and Hyundai arnt answering their phone.

Thanks x

Comments

• exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    A, Kwikshit should refund (I'm surprised they weren't able to find a way to remove the wheelnut without the key?)

B, Call the AA for advice about removing the wheel.
  • DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A, Kwikshit should refund.

B, Call the AA for advice about removing the wheel.

Ta, will call AA, though I think I only have roadside assistance.
    Forum Member
    Ta, will call AA, though I think I only have roadside assistance.

I'm sure they'll still be able to advise.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 32,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My garage broke the key and replaced all 4 lock nuts.

I'm not sure you can blame Kwik fit if the lock nut was seized.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    woodbush wrote: »
    My garage broke the key and replaced all 4 lock nuts.

I'm not sure you can blame Kwik fit if the lock nut was seized.

This is what they said too. They said because the nuts were on too tight, it's not their fault :(
  • SigurdSigurd Posts: 26,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe the person who's at fault is the one who put the wheel nut on so tightly that it's almost impossible to remove it? If the mobile tyre man couldn't remove it and broke the key, and then KwikFit also couldn't remove it and broke the new key, I don't really see that KwikFit are at fault, since presumably they didn't cause the problem of the over-tight nut – unless they were the ones who fitted it in the first place.

Edit: Ah, I now see your preceding post, Daisy. I'm afraid I'd have to agree with KwikFit on that one.
    Forum Member
    This is what they said too. They said because the nuts were on too tight, it's not their fault :(

The wheel nut remover is usually at a set torque for doing up and undoing nuts and if it wouldn't come undone on that setting then they over-rode it and broke it, it was their fault.
  • spanglerokapispanglerokapi Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I mentioned on a previous Kwikfit thread they put one of my wheels on so tight that the locking nut broke and the wheel had to be cut off.:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,140
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Take the car to a local independent garage and they will remove the wheel for you, they may need to cut it off but at least they will sort it.

As for getting a refund from kwikfit I would forget about it, The nut is clearly seized on and unfortunately due to this your key has been broken, you asked them to remove the wheel and they tried. Even though I hate kwikfit I actually agree with them saying no to a refund here as essentially it isn't their fault.
  • Galaxy266Galaxy266 Posts: 7,049
    Forum Member
    Take the car to a local independent garage and they will remove the wheel for you, they may need to cut it off but at least they will sort it.

As for getting a refund from kwikfit I would forget about it, The nut is clearly seized on and unfortunately due to this your key has been broken, you asked them to remove the wheel and they tried. Even though I hate kwikfit I actually agree with them saying no to a refund here as essentially it isn't their fault.

I agree with this post. Much as I also hate Kwik-Fit, and have posted this fact many times on DS, in this instance I don't actually believe they are to blame. You asked them to remove your wheel which they tried their best to do the job. Unfortunately, for some reason, the wheel was extra tight and the locking wheelnut broke in the process.

You can get the wheels off without using the key, and a good tyreshop will know how to do this. I suggest you go down this road, instead.
  • flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    if the wheel nut has broken two keys then i don't see as it's kwikfit's fault.

if you buy a new key and take it somewhere else then will it be their fault too?

you can get the nut off without the key. but given that the actual key broke, twice, it may prove difficult without damaging the wheel or hub.
  • Waj_100Waj_100 Posts: 3,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to agree that this is not the fault of Kwik Fit!

The mobile fitter should know very well that you do NOT tighten locking nuts/bolts tight as you will damage or break the tool whenever you attempt to undo them in the future.

I have been in this situation a few times over the years because of overtightened locking wheel nuts/bolts.

Whenever I tighten up these locking nuts/bolts I always tighten them up very carefully!!
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just fast forward to see what waj has to say, and yes, your nuts were too tight, kwik fit didnt have a hope in hell in getting them off
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *sigh* just been round my friends for about an hour and a half who had a widget for getting locking nuts off. Didn't work.

he reckons kwikfit had, as professionals, a duty of care to be careful when trying to remove the key and should have been able to tell when trying it that it would break. I do agree with posters above though as well, if the bolts were too tight in the first place, it's not kwikfits fault. Still undecided whether to pursue that or not.

thanks for the replies though so far.

Anyway, looks like I'm going to have to get the wheel cut off then! Can anyone Tell me how long that will take and a ball park figure of how much it will be, and will Hyundai be able to do it, or any old garage?

Thanks x
  • andycurlyandycurly Posts: 326
    Forum Member
    *sigh* just been round my friends for about an hour and a half who had a widget for getting locking nuts off. Didn't work.

he reckons kwikfit had, as professionals, a duty of care to be careful when trying to remove the key and should have been able to tell when trying it that it would break. I do agree with posters above though as well, if the bolts were too tight in the first place, it's not kwikfits fault. Still undecided whether to pursue that or not.

thanks for the replies though so far.

Anyway, looks like I'm going to have to get the wheel cut off then! Can anyone Tell me how long that will take and a ball park figure of how much it will be, and will Hyundai be able to do it, or any old garage?

Thanks x

Hyundai should be able to remove the wheel for you using a blow torch as it'll contract the bolt an make it easier to remove

you'll have to buy another key i reckon
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on whether the wheel bolt is down a recess or exposed which method is used to undo a wheel bolt without the locking key, also whether the bolt has edges on it or is smooth all round.

A bolt with edges on it may take a socket hammered onto it then undone with a breaker bar, or, a bolt which is smooth all round may be drilled out using a cobalt drill bit, or, if the bolt is on the surface of the wheel and not recessed, using a chisel on the edge of the bolt and bashing it hard to undo it....or, using a large type of centre punch on the edge of the bolt....

I have used all of these methods to remove locking bolts.

I haven't used one personally, but I believe Snap On tools do a locking wheel bolt removal tool.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    It depends on whether the wheel bolt is down a recess or exposed which method is used to undo a wheel bolt without the locking key, also whether the bolt has edges on it or is smooth all round.

A bolt with edges on it may take a socket hammered onto it then undone with a breaker bar, or, a bolt which is smooth all round may be drilled out using a cobalt drill bit, or, if the bolt is on the surface of the wheel and not recessed, using a chisel on the edge of the bolt and bashing it hard to undo it....or, using a large type of centre punch on the edge of the bolt....

I have used all of these methods to remove locking bolts.

I haven't used one personally, but I believe Snap On tools do a locking wheel bolt removal tool.
    It's deffo recessed :)
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My Astra's wheel lock key broke when I tried to undo a wheel, I got a replacement key and that started to distort as the nut was too tight... before I totally ruined the replacement key I remembered I had some special paste (EZ-Grip or Skrewdoktor) that helps make better contact between a worn screw and screwdriver, using this paste and the slightly worn security key enabled me to get the lock nut off. I then removed all lock nuts from the remaining wheels and used standard wheel nuts. I'd prefer the chance of wheel theft but be able to always undo my nuts!

Probably too late but should you buy another lock key then maybe this would help.

I'm pretty sure many of these problems are caused by inexperienced wheel fitters that use those air guns to whizz up the wheel nuts without any consideration to the correct torque setting...
  • morganb1611morganb1611 Posts: 458
    Forum Member
    Thanks x

It's your duty to ensure everything is well maintained i.e. nuts tightened to the correct torque. You really need to be going after the person who tightened it to much in the first place. Tools will sometimes give you a sign they're going to break with to much force, other times it can be quite unexpected.

Was the new key a cheap chinese knock off or original manufacturers part?
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just get new nuts, who would be bothered complaining
  • pinkyponk34pinkyponk34 Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm surprised Fit Kwik didn't know the way to remove a broken locking nut.

I tend not to squeeze the locking nut as tight as the other regular hex nuts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's deffo recessed :)

This makes it very difficult, the hardest type to remove :(

However, I have one last resort method of removing a stuck locking bolt/nut, it's an extreme method not for the faint hearted.

With your permission I can PM the method used which is definitely used at your risk.
  • OrbitalzoneOrbitalzone Posts: 12,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    just get new nuts, who would be bothered complaining

I think getting the stuck wheel off is the first hurdle to overcome but yes, then get normal nuts unless super posh wheels.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's your duty to ensure everything is well maintained i.e. nuts tightened to the correct torque. You really need to be going after the person who tightened it to much in the first place. Tools will sometimes give you a sign they're going to break with to much force, other times it can be quite unexpected.

Was the new key a cheap chinese knock off or original manufacturers part?

I ordered it direct from Hyundai, they got it from Germany, took 10 days to land
    Waj_100 wrote: »
    This makes it very difficult, the hardest type to remove :(

However, I have one last resort method of removing a stuck locking bolt/nut, it's an extreme method not for the faint hearted.

With your permission I can PM the method used which is definitely used at your risk.

I think I'm just going to call Hyundai on Monday to see if they can do anything, I'm thinking if I mess abut any more I may hack something good and proper :D
  • Maria_RobinsonMaria_Robinson Posts: 3,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    you can get the nut off without the key. but given that the actual key broke, twice, it may prove difficult without damaging the wheel or hub.

Was going to say the same but use a good tyre shop not dozy Kwick fit, to be honest I am not sure how they havent gone into Receivership years ago. My daughter who is about 7 stone went and got a tyre replaced, she paid and because she didnt tip the surly bloke, he expected her to lift the spare into the back herself. Sorry going off topic here. :rolleyes: