HBO Game Of Thrones S05 (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tyjet wrote: »
    No one knows for sure on both counts.

Considering it was 8,000 years ago I'm pretty sure nobody has a clue. The children of the forest were of course still around then and had access to magic, and then the wall went up and is supposedly infused with magic.

The Nightfort, the original wall castle where Gilly/Sam/Bran etc. stayed. Supposedly there's something hidden there. I've guessed that since they went there, and if there was weapons to fight white walkers, where ELSE would they be other than the FIRST wall castle which is humongous with hidden tunnels and rooms, right? What it could be, who knows, as this was before valyrian steel, though it technically could still be weapons made like valyrian steel just not called that. It also ties into a possible other plotthread (character) that's been mentioned here, but TBH I don't know if it counts as spoilers or not...though since the other posts haven't been deleted I assume it's okay. I'm sure someone else knows what I mean.

Another sword is called Dawn or something. Mentioned on the show when Joffrey was going through a book about them, I was reminded by wickia. It's actually made from meteorite and is said to be like valyrian steel.
  • ntscuserntscuser Posts: 8,246
    Forum Member
    Aren't there also stashes of dragonglass weapons hidden in the woods, such as the one Samwell found and used to slay the White Walker?
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Yuffie wrote: »
    We know of 4 Valerian Steel swords

Jons
    Jeoffreys (or probably now Tommens)
    Jamie's (which is now Briannes)
    And someone else who I can't remember

They've not specifically said there's anymore But there could be.

I assume they used the Dragonglass, Dragons, and that huge wall to stop them the last time.

All this is from my head and I'm not a book reader so I could be wrong.

house tarly has one i believe
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also, wasn't someone's sword split into two new swords?
  • TyjetTyjet Posts: 8,509
    Forum Member
    We know of 4 Valerian Steel swords

Jons
    Jeoffreys (or probably now Tommens)
    Jamie's (which is now Briannes)
    And someone else who I can't remember

They've not specifically said there's anymore But there could be.

I assume they used the Dragonglass, Dragons, and that huge wall to stop them the last time.

All this is from my head and I'm not a book reader so I could be wrong.
    There are a few more. Lots of houses have ancestral swords which are made of Valyrian steel, although a few of those (like the Lannister's Brightroar) have been lost or (like Ice) reforced into other swords.

There are also lots of other weapons and general items made out of Valyrian steel. Littlefinger's dagger that the assassin tried to use on Bran in S1 was made of Valyrian steel, and the maesters have some of it lying around as they use it every now and then as a link on one of their chains.
  • LaVieEnRoseLaVieEnRose Posts: 12,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also, wasn't someone's sword split into two new swords?

The Stark sword, Ice. It was reforged into two swords for Joffrey and Jaime.

Presumably Joffrey's "Widow's Wail" is now Tommen's.
    Jaime gave his to Brienne: it's now named "Oathkeeper".
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Stark sword, Ice. It was reforged into two swords for Joffrey and Jaime.

Presumably Joffrey's "Widow's Wail" is now Tommen's.
    Jaime gave his to Brienne: it's now named "Oathkeeper".

Thanks, I remember now. :)

In the books Jon sarcastically says at one point "Great, all we need to do is get all the lords and knights of Westeros to give up their Valyrian steel swords and we'll be ok" (paraphrasing here! :p), so it sounds like there's plenty Valyrian steel around.
  • BlisterBlister Posts: 292
    Forum Member
    ntscuser wrote: »
    Aren't there also stashes of dragonglass weapons hidden in the woods, such as the one Samwell found and used to slay the White Walker?

Indeed. They found a cache of dragonglass north of the Wall. Unfortunately it looks like they just lost it at Hardhome. I'm not sure if that was all of it, but they certainly took a bag of it with them.

In terms of Valyrian steel, quite a few ancient houses still have an ancient Valyrian sword, and still more are mentioned in the books although we don't know if they're still around. Ones we know are "in play":

- Longclaw of House Mormont (currently in the possession of Jon Snow after Jeor Mormont gave it to him)
    - Oathbreaker, which was one of two swords forged by melting down Ned Stark's sword, currently in the possesion of Brienne.
    - Another sword forged by melting down Ned Stark's sword, currently in the possession of the Lannisters.
    - The dagger that was used in an attempt to kill Bran in the first season was Valyrian steel, currently in possession of Littlefinger
    - House Tarly's sword (currently in the possession of Samwell's dad whom some suspect will feature in the next series).
    - House Drumm's sword
    - House Corbray's sword

There are most likely others. But clearly they're dispersed around in possession of different people across Westeros or even not in Westeros so not all that useful if white walkers invade the North.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    Re Dragonglass. Jon told Stannis that Sam killed a white walker using Dragonglass and then Stannis said he has loads of it on Dragonstone.
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah clearly Stannis will have organised shipments of dragonglass to be sent to the wall.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah clearly Stannis will have organised shipments of dragonglass to be sent to the wall.
    ... and they'll need a hell of a lot of it, if last weeks episode is anything to go by.:o
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This isn't a spoiler, but in the books Stannis does indeed send the order to begin mining the dragonglass at Dragonstone when he learns that it kills White Walkers.
  • humehume Posts: 2,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You think Ramseys death should get its own spin off series ?

I laughed when I read this. But that's due in part, to the fact I would seriously entertain the notion.
  • PatrickBateman1PatrickBateman1 Posts: 924
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That will certainly get people talking. The penultimate episode yet again shocks.
  • The AmbassadorThe Ambassador Posts: 5,631
    Forum Member
    and the Father of the Year Award goes to...
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    My head's all over the place after that episode.
    Forum Member
    The Shireen scene was so horrid I'm just going to pretend it didn't happen.

Dany's flight on Drogon didn't disappoint though. LOL at the person who said Bran would control him.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only seen the video clip so far, but I can't believe he did that. How could he?

For me that's the worst thing we've seen so far. There's going to be an uproar (understatement of the year).
    Forum Member

For me that's the worst thing we've seen so far. There's going to be an uproar (understatement of the year).
    There always is when something shocking happens, but I doubt the backlash will be as harsh as the rape. Especially since it was (apparently) GRRM's idea so it's likely going to happen in the books too.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

The worst part is that I liked him. He was one of my favourite characters. Now I hope he burns.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Liam Cunningham is going to flip his shit when he finds out about this. Hope Ramsey flays evil Stannis and that witch woman alive after that.
  • camy934camy934 Posts: 1,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OMG what an awesome episode!! :D . I think there'll be some uproar over the Shireen scene. Such a great set-up for the finale. We finally got to see Dany flying away on Drogon ^_^^_^

Can't believe it's the finale next week, where have the last 9 weeks gone ?!?!?! Then another 10 month wait for Season 6!! :(:(

Anyway, can't wait for a certain Cersei scene next week ;-);-)
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Ouch...a bit bold. Most decent and vulnerable character gets the worst treatment.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I wasn't as bothered by it as I could have been, partly as I feel they shoehorned in Shireen whenever they needed to rather than because she was a carefully crafted cast addition. All the same it was uncomfortable to watch, as she was one of the few wholly decent characters about in Westeros.

Stannis has now lost his way. There's no way he can justify his actions here and for that I feel the outcome of the upcoming battle for Winterfell just got a bit less predictable. I still personally think he'll win though.

Daenerys is finally interesting again, after a couple of seasons in the lurch. Nobody I cared for has died so far, which makes a change.

I think that Season 5 has struggled under its own weight a little bit. Not collapsed as it's still plentifully good, but the characters are spread so thinly that they're not proving to be as effective as they once were. A bad guy is supposed to command presence, as Joffrey did for a good few years... Ramsay though hasn't been seen for any more than a few minutes in the past few weeks and as such he's less effective than he could be. The same could be said for many more characters this season - Varys is still awol too, come to think of it.
  • Pandora.Pandora. Posts: 21,417
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an utterly phenomenal episode. I thought that the Shireen scene would have been a fantastic (horrifying and tragic) ending, but the real final scene manged to surpass that by far.

Loved every second.