HBO Game Of Thrones S05 (NO SPOILERS)

Comments

• VolvicanVolvican Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    They've gone off books, so greyscale can be as contagious or not as they want it to be.

Not shocked at the burning. It was pretty clear that was the only way this was going as they weren't going to just have Stannis fail because it's too cold. But such is the nature of the religious extremist. In any time. I did think though that perhaps whatever did manifest out if the sacrifice would be more immediate. To give the whole tragic scene another layer...

Never for a second thought that Davos knew of Stannis intentions. If he comes back, I suspect he'll be dead soon.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite surprised how numerous the sons of the harpy were. They represent only the rich elite in Mereen yet there are hundreds willing to fight the unsullied even when Daenerys tried to be conciliatory. And as someone else said people in their position wouldn't have much experience of fighting themselves yet have launched an effective full scale insurgency. If they were that good wouldn't they have fought off Daenerys in the first place?
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm amazed I have to explain this but I was being facetious.

Sorry, you never know with DS! ;)
  • Matt DMatt D Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duncann wrote: »
    As for greyscale, it can't be passed too easily otherwise everyone would have it. It must surely be contagious only if you touch the affected area with your bare skin.
    Volvican wrote: »
    They've gone off books, so greyscale can be as contagious or not as they want it to be.

Yup.

All this worry about Dany touching Jorah... Didn't Davos kiss Shireen?

It's gotta be scale contact = infection. No scale contact = OK.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dodrade wrote: »
    I'm quite surprised how numerous the sons of the harpy were. They represent only the rich elite in Mereen yet there are hundreds willing to fight the unsullied even when Daenerys tried to be conciliatory. And as someone else said people in their position wouldn't have much experience of fighting themselves yet have launched an effective full scale insurgency. If they were that good wouldn't they have fought off Daenerys in the first place?

Many of whom they happily slaughtered in the Arena.

With the masks you don't know who they are. They could be a bunch of highly trained mercenaries.

Matt D wrote: »
    Yup.

All this worry about Dany touching Jorah... Didn't Davos kiss Shireen?

It's gotta be scale contact = infection. No scale contact = OK.

Shireen was cured though so while disfigured is not contagious (if she was she would have been sent to Valyria).
  • Andrew_BallardAndrew_Ballard Posts: 1,054
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't see the Sons of the Harpy kill a single slave-type in the arena, just watched the episode again...who are they supposed to be, the Second Sons? Are they in league with "kill all the rich masters" Daario? Daario looked at that slaver dude something weird when he tried to lead Dany to safety. Jorah is fiercely loyal to her, and she knows this now, but Daario? I think he has pulled some kind of wool over her eyes :confused:
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am convinced that Melissandre is now trying to take Stannis down (if she ever really supported him at all). Maybe it's after seeing Jon Snow, which certainly got her thinking. Her next move will be to lead Stannis to his doom at Winterfell (just guessing, though he may see sense finally and kill her).

Shireen's screams will be hard to forget...:o
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never for a second thought that Davos knew of Stannis intentions. If he comes back, I suspect he'll be dead soon.

This is Davos who risked execution for Gendry, a young man he didn't even know. If he truly thought Shireen was in danger he would've taken her out of there and damn the consequences. IIRC he didn't know that Melissandre had suggested sacrificing her. He had no reason to think she was in danger from her own father.

The goodbye scene was part artistic license (because it makes what's to follow even beyond this episode more heartbreaking) and part some worry on his part that she shouldn't be on this dangerous march in nasty conditions. He likely was a bit concerned for her but he had no clue what was going to happen.

Stannis must know what kind of man he is (hence why he sent him away) and must know he's got a problem when Davos returns.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I am convinced that Melissandre is now trying to take Stannis down (if she ever really supported him at all). Maybe it's after seeing Jon Snow, which certainly got her thinking. Her next move will be to lead Stannis to his doom at Winterfell (just guessing, though he may see sense finally and kill her).

Shireen's screams will be hard to forget...:o

Mellisandre has been raving on about Shireen playing her part for a long time, since before she saw Jon Snow.
  • AvinAGiraffeAvinAGiraffe Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I think I missed some important dialogue at some point. Can someone tell me why Shireen had to be sacrificed, please?
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Poor Shireen, betrayed by the very people who were supposed to have her best interests at heart. Agreed, that I think Davos suspected something was afoot because he knew he was being sent away for a reason. Probably not really comprehending that Stannis would do something so horrific. I've never liked Stannis, anyway, so can't wait to see his exit, hopefully a very painful one at the hands of Ramsay. :p I think it will more likely be Davos or his wife, though, who finish him off.
  • Flash525Flash525 Posts: 8,862
    Forum Member
    With regard to this Jorah and Greyscale business, we know that Jorah knows the disease spreads by touch, yet he held out his hand for Danni? Either he knows (somehow) that she;s immune, or he intended to infect her. Surely?
    big dan wrote: »
    I really, really hope something wicked is coming for Stannis next week. I think for me that is the most utterly disturbing, god-smacking scene of the entire five seasons. And to think I actually thought that tender daddy/daughter moment the other week was one of the most genuinely touching!
    That'll be the end of Stannis now. If Davos doesn't kill him, and his men don't turn on him, he'll end up suffering from guilt; it'll drive him mad.
    CBFreak wrote: »
    My theory is that Melisandre will get her comeuppance through a White Walker. Maybe even turned into one. The White Walkers's being the polar opposite to the Lord of Light as they are creatures of cold and darkness.
    That would be a fitting end. Her walking out of a Tent or something only to come face to face with a White. :o:D
    duncann wrote: »
    As for greyscale, it can't be passed too easily otherwise everyone would have it. It must surely be contagious only if you touch the affected area with your bare skin.
    Didn't Shireen contract it from a doll though?
    I think I missed some important dialogue at some point. Can someone tell me why Shireen had to be sacrificed, please?
    Because that mad bitch in red said so - pretty much. There's a prophecy or something (according to her) that if noble blood was sacrificed or something, it would further help Stannis' position.
  • streetwisestreetwise Posts: 787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There didn't seem to be much point, did there? It's not as if they can use the poor girls blood now. Wasn't using a kings blood a Dragonstone thing? It would bring the stone dragons there back to life.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    felt like applauding at the end.

simply phenomenal
  • FlannerzFlannerz Posts: 207
    Forum Member
    Is it me or are the Unsullied a bit rubbish? They keep getting killed by Sons of Harpy. How many does she have left?!
  • rattierattie Posts: 7,050
    Forum Member
    Flannerz wrote: »
    Is it me or are the Unsullied a bit rubbish? They keep getting killed by Sons of Harpy. How many does she have left?!

I've thought that. They are supposed to be some kind of elite fighting force. Bronn and Jorah are more skilled in combat than they are. They've never looked anything special at all when they've had to fight.
  • sherisgirlsherisgirl Posts: 2,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another exciting episode, cannot believe its nearing the end of this run,
    Was in OMG mode when the spears were going into Drogon, Danny dont forget the other 2.
    Then starterd to watch Thronecast and Sue was in OMG mode
  • RG101RG101 Posts: 311
    Forum Member
    rattie wrote: »
    I've thought that. They are supposed to be some kind of elite fighting force. Bronn and Jorah are more skilled in combat than they are. They've never looked anything special at all when they've had to fight.

Any force that uses spears in close quarter combat is going to get their arses handed to them pure and simple, I suppose they needed the Sons of the Harpy to pose a serious threat to the Queen this series but it does lack credibility.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The army was stuck in the snow and Mel said that the Lord of Light required a sacrifice of Kings Blood for him to help them get to Winterfell.

With there only being two people in the camp who could be said to have Kings Blood it was pretty clear who Mel meant.

Stannis intially refused anything to do with this.

Then however Ramsay attacked with his 20 men, destroyed most of their food and killed a load of their horses.

With their situation now so much worse Stannis finally agreed with Mel's plan.

We'll have to wait and see what if any benefit they get from it.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Flannerz wrote: »

they only get killed when out numbered.

also i doubt she took her whole army to the games. probably just a few hundred

they probably killed 3 SOH on average before they were downed.

as for how many left. out of 8000 she must still have at least 5-6000 i would imagine.
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He must have suspected, which is why he didn't want to go, then asked if Shireen could accompany him. He knew Stannis was desperate and out of options, and Stannis knew Davos would try to talk him out of it if he was still around.
  • frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Well I cried when Shireen died (I have a daughter at similar age) and I knew it was coming too. But it was so well done by the actress who play her that it really caught in the throat about how ruthless Stannis truly is to achieve his goal. Has he not thought that should he become King who will be his heir? Or has Mel sorted that one too? I don't think Davos knew what was going to happen, he didn't think the camp was the best place for Shireen, but I don't think he'd have thought for one minute Stannis would burn his daughter. If he had, I think he would've taken her and risked the consequences, or at least died trying, like he did with Gendry.

Neither do I think Ser Jorah would knowingly infect Dany with Greyscale, he not just loves her but admires her and feels she should be Queen in Westeros, so he wouldn't knowingly scupper that. I think it needs to be the Greyscale itself that passes the disease on, so the doll Shireen had could well have had bits of Greyscale (ewwww!) on it.

Be interesting what happens next week for the last episode and how much that's not been shown in the books gets played out.
  • margarite6666margarite6666 Posts: 2,969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    The army was stuck in the snow and Mel said that the Lord of Light required a sacrifice of Kings Blood for him to help them get to Winterfell.

With there only being two people in the camp who could be said to have Kings Blood it was pretty clear who Mel meant.

Stannis intially refused anything to do with this.

Then however Ramsay attacked with his 20 men, destroyed most of their food and killed a load of their horses.

With their situation now so much worse Stannis finally agreed with Mel's plan.

We'll have to wait and see what if any benefit they get from it.

We have seen that the lord of light is real but it is a strange play on words as whatever this power is it is evil. We saw that from the creature that killed Renly and what Davos saw. Stannis has sold his soul or power. I think he will go the same way as Aerys and power will corrupt him. He will lose the loyalty o good men like Davos and will only have those who far him who will turncoat in an instant.
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Not sure where all the love for Stanis has come from

1: He killed his Brother, ok the brother was trying usurp him but still
    2: Has kept his daughter a virtual prisoner all her life
    3: Imprisoned Davos after Blackwater, showed no remorse over the fact Davos lost all his sons. Davos was only saved by getting the Iron Bank to agree a loan
    4: Chopped off the tops of Davos's fingers because he was a smuggler, even though because he was a smuggler, managed to save Stanis when he was under siege.
    5: Has partaken in human sacrifice
  • Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    whedon247 wrote: »
    they only get killed when out numbered.

also i doubt she took her whole army to the games. probably just a few hundred

they probably killed 3 SOH on average before they were downed.

as for how many left. out of 8000 she must still have at least 5-6000 i would imagine.

Not forgetting they use a sword and shield, not the best close quarters weapons to use. They're at their best when facing a conventional army, in formation. That's what their trained for.