Options

Ways in which you are "out of date" in how you live compared to the rest of the world

Comments

• Options
    RaferRafer Posts: 14,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have a phone that ,i'm told, can do 1001 different things that I can't live without. I've only ever used it to talk to people.
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    MargMck wrote: »
    So... there are LOADS of us living to varying degrees with old technology or very little. So is it that we are of a type attracted to DS, or are we the norm, and the rest is noisy but minority hype, advertising and spin?

if it were a poll of do`s and don`ts the result would probably be completely different, people with loads of technology are less likely to answer the op`s question.
  • Options
    MargMckMargMck Posts: 24,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    if it were a poll of do`s and don`ts the result would probably be completely different, people with loads of technology are less likely to answer the op`s question.

Very true, I'm still happy to be a 1970s-2000 oddment.:D
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    Very true, I'm still happy to be a 1970s-2000 oddment.:D

me too :D
  • Options
    coughthecatcoughthecat Posts: 6,876
    Forum Member
    I can't stand giant TV's, nor see the fuss with HD. I have what is probably perceived as a crappy old 26 inch, normal TV and find it ample in size and has never hindered watching any sport or TV show. My brother and my best mate both have these humoungus TV's in their lounges and both HD, whenever I'm over and watching any football or rugby, they seem like they're expecting me to be awestruck at the difference, but 30 seconds in, I'm watching the exact same thing, from what I can see - just with about 20 times more screen to try and look at.

You've reminded me of a bizarre conversation I had with someone who was going on and on about his giant TV which (according to him) was a 'must have' because there was no point watching films on anything smaller.

This was precisely 24 hours after he'd been going on about how he could watch films on his phone! :confused:

Apparently, my normal-sized TV was both too big and too small! :D
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Erm...ok..

I stand by that, I've seen more than enough evidence of it, believe me! Once a woman told off a man and his daughter on a bus I was travelling home on for being too loud, and argued with the father that she had a right to do so as she was a voluntary police officer! Granted, the girl was a bit loud, but that was a bit sanctimonious to say that! Sheesh!

ratty0 wrote: »
    How is that out of date? Surely it's the opposite way round :confused:

Most people have one, though. I never have done. Heck, we never had a colour TV in our house until 2000!
  • Options
    IgnazioIgnazio Posts: 18,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I provide my housekeeper with every mod con necessary to do her job. Obviously she has other help, general, window and house cleaners etc. but I am totally dependent on her to keep the house running smoothly.

If I'm entertaining, whether an intimate meal for a group of friends or a more sophisticated dinner party I can depend on her to do the prep and stick around to pack the dishwasher etc. and return the next morning to empty it. I leave it to her to decide whether the soiled napkins and bed linen warrant a spin in the washing machine or a visit to the laundry.

At times she huffs and puffs a bit "We didn't need all these fancy gadgets in my day." That's fine with me. The past has much to teach us - the present owes much to the past and our visions of the future. I don't expect her to use a dolly tub, put the iron on the hob, or clean out the grate with a dustpan and brush but she does have the opportunity to mix the best of the past with the best of the present.

She's an intelligent lady - well able to fuse solutions of the past with the present. I consider myself very fortunate.
  • Options
    td1983td1983 Posts: 2,679
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still rent DVDs from a local rental shop, although that is about to close & I will be extremely gutted.:blush:

Join Lovefilm via Amazon, they still provide a great service. Cinema Paradiso also provide one as well.
  • Options
    realwalesrealwales Posts: 3,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    - I have a smartphone, but if I'm at home and want to have anything beyond a very brief conversation, I prefer to do it landline to landline. My neighbour (who is a lot older than me) seems genuinely astonished that anybody still bothers to use landlines, but I find the quality of the sound to be far superior, and I'm not in any danger with regards to radiation (I know the actual effects of radiation from mobile phones is a contentious subject).

- I'm only an occasional smoker, but when I do smoke, they're real cigarettes, not ecigs.

- When I'm at the checkout at the local supermarket, there are numerous celebrity magazines in front of me that refer to celebrities by their first names on the front cover. I usually have absolutely no idea who they are.

- I think Premier League football was much more entertaining and enjoyable in the 1990s than it is now, even if standards have increased.

- I still own, but rarely use, a CRT TV and a VHS player.

- I hold doors open for ladies and try to make sure I don't swear in the company of women (I'm 31, in case it matters).

- I expect male presenters of formal TV shows like Newsnight to wear a tie.
  • Options
    Hut27Hut27 Posts: 1,673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I never drink Coffee at home , I do sometimes only away from home. I drink Tea made with Loose Tea in a Teapot.
  • Options
    David (2)David (2) Posts: 20,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    While at home I use the landline for calls, not the mobile. The landline contract has unlimited call time at no extra cost. And it's better quality.

A few people mentioned magazines, I don't generally buy any of these anymore. I sometimes buy a computer or motoring one, but that's literally no more than twice a year. They are expensive, and you can get the same information from the Internet for free.
  • Options
    RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So... there are LOADS of us living to varying degrees with old technology or very little. So is it that we are of a type attracted to DS, or are we the norm, and the rest is noisy but minority hype, advertising and spin?

I think you might be jumping the gun there. We''re talking about just over 100 replies within a DS population of tens of thousands, and not all replies have been technology related. There really isn't enough here to reach any kind of conclusions.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nodger wrote: »
    Never claimed I was, but it is polite to do so, just as it is polite to mutter a "ta" at the very least in response. Sorry, that just how I was 'brought up' to be / think, in good ol Blighty back in the 70's. I'll take the sanctimonious on the chin, if that makes me a nasty 'soap box' standing person, then sobeit.

I agree 100%. As my mum used to say, manners cost nothing.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wow, and some people call me a Luddite.

I still prefer to pay by cash, I prefer vinyl's instead of CD or MP3, but I do still use CDs
    I like to talk face to face and phone people, all this text stuff I hate.

I prefer good old fashion British food, not this Posh nosh and Tapa rubbish.,

I like simple things in life, like going for walks when it is nice. Oh and aI drink real ale, not this fizzy stuff some pubs sell.

I bake or will start baking again, something which a lot of people don't do these days, they prefer to get their cakes from a shop. Also going to start baking my own bread.

Oh yes, i still use a old style Casio Calculator, which is on my computer desk.

It is starting to sound like a dating profile :)

Anyway, that is it really.
  • Options
    jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    - I hold doors open for ladies and try to make sure I don't swear in the company of women (I'm 31, in case it matters).

It's interesting that you give your age, because I would have only expected that kind of thing from someone brought up in the 1950s, like me.

I was taught real old-fashioned "manners" by my mother, like giving up your seat to women, but in the 1960s I found they were starting to expect equality of treatment, so I stopped all that. Since then I've held doors open for males or females, and I don't swear in front of either ... not that I ever swore in the first place!
  • Options
    and101and101 Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I suspect that most people use some old technology mixed in with some new. My house has plenty of technology from the last century, quite a bit that is at least 50 years old, but at the same time it also has a smart home system which monitors all of the power usage in the house and controls the 60 year old boiler.

Why replace something if it works perfectly well? I have an old watchmakers lathe which I use for model making, it was built in the 1940s and I use it because it works just as well today as when it was new. That and a replacement would cost around £20,000 which is a bit much to make a few cannons for a model ship.
  • Options
    cas1977cas1977 Posts: 6,399
    Forum Member
    I have a c.d player in the car and a zippy case with c.d's. I can't believe I'm saying this on a public forum :(
    Me too! I love my zippy case and I love my Cds!

Is it really a bad thing and old fashioned or are you just exaggerating? ;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Me too! I love my zippy case and I love my Cds!

I only recently gave up my zippy case and personal CD player, but only because it fell on the floor and broke. I replaced it with an MP3 player (aren't they out of date now??!!) which I am delighted with as I can fit nearly all my music collection on it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    realwales wrote: »
    - I have a smartphone, but if I'm at home and want to have anything beyond a very brief conversation, I prefer to do it landline to landline. My neighbour (who is a lot older than me) seems genuinely astonished that anybody still bothers to use landlines, but I find the quality of the sound to be far superior, and I'm not in any danger with regards to radiation (I know the actual effects of radiation from mobile phones is a contentious subject).

- I'm only an occasional smoker, but when I do smoke, they're real cigarettes, not ecigs.

- When I'm at the checkout at the local supermarket, there are numerous celebrity magazines in front of me that refer to celebrities by their first names on the front cover. I usually have absolutely no idea who they are.

- I think Premier League football was much more entertaining and enjoyable in the 1990s than it is now, even if standards have increased.

- I still own, but rarely use, a CRT TV and a VHS player.

- I expect male presenters of formal TV shows like Newsnight to wear a tie.
    Sometimes a male colleague may swear strongly in front of me, and I always think it sounds a bit unsavoury tbh!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    jjwales wrote: »
    I only recently gave up my zippy case and personal CD player, but only because it fell on the floor and broke. I replaced it with an MP3 player (aren't they out of date now??!!) which I am delighted with as I can fit nearly all my music collection on it.
    They probably are out of date, but who cares! I remember when they first came out, I think it was the little square patches of plastic and they came in all colours. I remember not believing they could hold as many songs as they claimed etc.

I remember buying my mp3 player, feeling very proud and modern!

And then an extraordinary moment in my life came much later when I realized that my new smart phone actually worked as a music player as well....my excitement knew no bounds when I realized I could just have one device for those two functions, plus get matching over large head phones in white as well..........:)

Songs on mp3/smartphones etc, great for when you're jogging etc, but nothing beats having physical collections in my mind.

I love buying DVDs as well. The sad thing is that every DVD I buy, I probably will watch a máximum of two times, though I can't help but just love seeing things grow (collections that is..)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    cas1977 wrote: »
    Sometimes a male colleague may swear strongly in front of me, and I always think it sounds a bit unsavoury tbh!

I'm still a bit old-fashioned in that I hate swearing anyway, but think it sounds worse when a woman does it!
  • Options
    chopsimchopsim Posts: 3,522
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still do the dishes by hand. Who needs a dishwasher.
    One of my friends who has one never uses it. Its quicker by hand.
  • Options
    DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    Hut27 wrote: »
    I never drink Coffee at home , I do sometimes only away from home. I drink Tea made with Loose Tea in a Teapot.

Same with the coffee. Only drink Tea/water at home, only drink Coffee/coke when out.

Also only have one TV, which I've been told is odd :confused:
  • Options
    postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I'm on about hot water I'm on about washing hands/dishes

You wash dishes in cold water??
  • Options
    EspressoEspresso Posts: 18,047
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

We are posters on an internet forum.

There are millions of people in this country who do not use the internet and more millions who do use the internet but who are not members of any internet messageboards.
    So I reckon that the act of asking this question on an internet forum is not reasonable, as it is bound to have a bias, seeing as the respondees are part of a particular self-selecting group which means that so their responses cannot be extrapolated to fit the rest of society.

It's like going to a railway station and claiming that based on the responses you gleaned there, the vast majority of people have no car.
    Or going to a Status Quo concert and concluding that that most of the people who go to concerts are pensioners.