Options

TAR 18 Episode 11 and 12 Discussion

Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
And so another season draws to a close....

Episode 11, I thought, was great. Really nicely structured leg that gave chances for teams to catch up and lose ground. The tasks were quite fun too.

Sad for Zev and Justin, they didn't make that many mistakes as such, but it just wasn't their day, in terms of the roadblock, which Zev really struggled with (and in my view did pretty well to overcome) compounded by the taxi trouble. I don't even really think going for the other detour option was a mistake, because they knew by that time everyone was ahead and likely doing the other option, so there only chance was to try and see if they could do the other option more quickly.

Of course it turns out to be very difficult once they get there, indeed i think it would have taken a team like The Cha's in series 2 to do well here (due to excellent lingual skills and their exuberant personality's). It was a much tougher task for Zev and Justin. The one mistake they did make though was not to stick with it. That was the moment any chance was gone for them. Typically classy exit though.

And blimey, that waxing business must have just made their day...that looked hideous! :eek:

Episode 12 wasn't quite as good, imho. I quite liked the tasks, but i feel like the leg structure wasn't that great.

Gary and Mallory sort of ruled themselves out of contention quite early on, so I was left hoping that the trotters wouldn't win, at least I enjoyed the outcome in that regard!:D

So after all the years waiting for a F/F winning team we have two back to back..ironic!:D

Pleased for Jen and Kisha....they didn't win a leg till the last one, but they stayed strong throughout and ran a good race!:)

Overall this series hasn't quite lived up to the promising early stages for me. I enjoyed it, but not as much as the last series, which was excellent. On the plus side, it was definitely much better than the all-stars series, and had a much happier outcome. I'd probably rate it a B-.

Looking forward to the return of the regular version in the near future!:)

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 87,224
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.realityblurred.com/realitytv/archives/the_amazing_race_18/2011_May_09_finale
    Andy Dehnart thinks the show is broke.
    (Contains spoilers of final episode)
  • Options
    telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Liked the first episode, glad they all got the same flight thanks to the globetrotters lol, loved the dancing and the cocktail making task love simple things that are not quite so simple, enjoyed watching my faves win the leg

Muttley76 wrote: »
    And blimey, that waxing business must have just made their day...that looked hideous! :eek:

Gary and Mallory sort of ruled themselves out of contention quite early on, so I was left hoping that the trotters wouldn't win, at least I enjoyed the outcome in that regard!:D

What can I say bout that waxing as a woman that task was hard enough but poor Zev and Justin that was just wrong :eek: so sad they went out there had hoped it would be the globetrotters :cry:

Once I realised Gary and Mallory had no chance of catching up I was not enjoying watching for fear that the globetrotters were going to win, I actually read a spoiler then and was happy knowing the girls would win , enjoyed watching it much more then. ;):D

Lots of nice shots at the end of everyone and got to see my beloved cowboys again :D

Overall actually one of my favourite seasons ever as I liked all the teams (at first anyway) but some of the legs were not very imaginative I give it 8 out of 10 though :D

when's the next one :D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andy Dehnart thinks the show is broke.

He has been saying that your years. :confused:

Very much hope he does himself a favour and stops watching.

eta: btw, do you work for him or something? It seems odd you only ever post in this part of the forum to link to this guys work? :confused:

Let's present an alternate view from someone who doesn't hate the show:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/showtracker/2011/05/amazing-race-recap--1.html
    I hereby declare "Unfinished Business" to be the best idea "Race" has had in a long time. Indeed, so emotionally satisfying is it to give beloved TV characters a second chance that I'm already looking for ways to backdate it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    telly fan wrote: »
    Liked the first episode, glad they all got the same flight thanks to the globetrotters lol, loved the dancing and the cocktail making task love simple things that are not quite so simple, enjoyed watching my faves win the leg

Yeah but if it hadn't been the trotters then Zev and justin would have made the final...:p
    What can I say bout that waxing as a woman that task was hard enough but poor Zev and Justin that was just wrong :eek:

it was like watching a torture show! :eek:

Overall actually one of my favourite seasons ever as I liked all the teams (at first anyway) but some of the legs were not very imaginative I give it 8 out of 10 though :D

I didn't think it was bad, not a favorite of mine, but it had it's moments...:)

when's the next one :D:D

I think it's due to be filmed this summer, so probably will air in the autumn i guess.
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've found the season a real chore but I quite enjoyed the finale, Zev and Justin getting waxed almost made up for the entire season, it looked incredibly painful but was hilarious, especially when the woman kept shoving Zev's head back down on the table. :D

I was sad to see Zev and Justin go, they really grew on me, and out of the remaining four teams I wanted them to win the most. But once they were gone, Jen and Kisha were my next team to root for, so was really happy they got the win, would've sucked if the Globetrotters won! Jen and Kisha have been the most consistent team, not winning a leg until it mattered, but they never really messed up. And its nice to have another all-female team win!

That said, I think this is where I end my relationship with The Amazing Race, or at least as far as watching it as it airs. I found it too much of a chore to sit through week after week, and have had that feeling since around Season 12 (with Season 17 been a rare return to form). So I don't think I'll be watching along with you guys next season. I will probably watch the season at my own pace when it has already finished airing.

:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I enjoyed the finale, and am glad Jen and Kisha beat the Globetrotters in the end. Though I would have prefered a Gary and Mallory win! :(
    I didn't really like the callenges though. A bit too straightforward. I was expecting a memory challenge, it shows who's actually been paying attention throughout the race. I know it's inevitable a lot of the times, but the whole result was based on the luck of the taxi drivers. Obviously with Gary and Mallory they had very bad luck from the start with that driver and couldn't recover because of it. & then with the other two, the Globetrotters were marginally ahead until the taxi driver didn't know where he was going so they had to stop for directions, giving Jen and Kisha the lead which they maintained throughout. As I said, the luck aspect is inevitable but they should've had more challenging tasks like a memory one to bring the skill aspect into it more.

Bit of a random trivia I immediately thought of for some reason; in the last Allstars, Eric and Danielle won the race without winning a single leg as well. I just remember being annoyed with that fact cause I really didn't like them and Dustin & Kandice had won quite a lot of legs and I thought they deserved it so much more. :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    ISo I don't think I'll be watching along with you guys next season. I will probably watch the season at my own pace when it has already finished airing.
    :)

we'll miss you, if so, but if you change your mind you know where to find us!:)

Dishpop wrote: »

Bit of a random trivia I immediately thought of for some reason; in the last Allstars, Eric and Danielle won the race without winning a single leg as well. I just remember being annoyed with that fact cause I really didn't like them and Dustin & Kandice had won quite a lot of legs and I thought they deserved it so much more. :p

Yeah, i was more annoyed a team that weren't really a team won the all stars though. Plus Jen and Kisha have been a lot stronger than Eric and Danielle through the race...:)

Just realised i forgot to say in my OP how touched I was by's Zev's comment that "he was the race and i was the amazing". It made me tear up a wee bit actually. I have a lot of respect for Zev, he is a real inspiration to people with asperger's syndrome, imho.
  • Options
    RedmondRedmond Posts: 19,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really wish teams were allowed to drive themselves in the last leg, it is frustrating that a good team can be totally screwed over by a useless taxi driver. I know its part of the race, and any other leg would be fine, but in the last leg allowing the teams to drive would be much better.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 158
    Forum Member
    Loved episode 11 but wasn't a fan of the final as much. Felt sorry for zev and justin but i loved the leg, loved how lead switched and was so happy gary and mallory won the leg. Had hopes for them for the final but they got behind very soon in the leg and there was no real opportunity for them to catch up. always find this is what happens in the final, once one team is behind they can never get to the front. Very happy kisha and jen won though, very much deserved. Only problem i had with the tasks was there being no memory task involving other legs. thought it would have been great. (still hoping for an epic memory task like the one in season 13 finale). but on the whole its been a great season! and for once my faves have been in to the bitter end.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Redmond wrote: »
    I really wish teams were allowed to drive themselves in the last leg, it is frustrating that a good team can be totally screwed over by a useless taxi driver. I know its part of the race, and any other leg would be fine, but in the last leg allowing the teams to drive would be much better.

i know what you mean, i am still slightly bitter that Ken and Gerard probably lost out on the million due to their inability to get a cab way back in series 3...:p
  • Options
    Yobaba**Yobaba** Posts: 4,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am shocked but pleased that Jen & Kisha won that.:D

I was so sure that the Globetrotters had it, even up to them doing the bike race at the end. And my God they were annoying me so much in that episode. Especially when they were being so loud at the detour as Zev & Justin were going to get eliminated. I just wanted them to shut up.

I think I got into this season more as it went along. It wasn't the best but not the worse either. A lot of teams I liked especially the Goths and the Cowboys. Jen & Kisha were never really my favouite team but they were decent winners.:)
  • Options
    Jon411Jon411 Posts: 196
    Forum Member
    Enjoyed this season ,overall I'd place it in my top 3 or 4 along with 3, 17 and 11 in no particular order.

Really pleased Kisha and Jen won - first time the team I've wanted to win has actually managed it. Whilst I agree with the frustrations of some about the taxi drivers the thought of the finalists driving themselves in the final is pretty terrifying and dangerous, the taxi drivers in some of the finals have been dangerous enough with running lights and cutting through petrol stations so for that reason alone I think we're going to have to put up with the taxis as they're never going to be able to do a final based entirely on public transport (trains, buses, underground) in the US without some major spoilers happening. Also, with the self-driving they would have to select a city that no one knows that well - otherwise potentially someone could have a huge advantage.

I know that many people are not fond of Season 11 - but the one thing I liked about it was the way the Beauty Queens played the tactical game and Charla and Mirna played the game well with the flights, where as in recent seasons partly due to te nature of the cast and the race course, they haven't been able to do that. I wonder if those legs in Africa in 11 where everyone got so spread out has caused the production team to try and keep people closer together by reducing the scope of possible flights a bit - as although we get the odd flight differences every now and then, it doesn't seem to be a part of the game like it used to be where some teams could work it to counteract the advantage others had with tasks.

Although it probably sounds like I am moaning - I have enjoyed this season and I liked how there was no clear front running team the whole time, as a number of them were equally capable of winning a leg and the race course was a pretty decent one.

Would have loved a memory task - I think it would have helped Gary and Mallory to close up, but Kisha and Jen were always very careful and I can remember seeing an extra clip of series 14 where they went through things from the previous leg, in case they came up later in the race, so I think they would have probably completed a memory task and had a bigger lead from the Globe Trotters anyway. At least we didn't get a totally stupid task like the one from series 11 which decided the outcome of the race with that safe which was totally pointless and resulted in the least deserving of the 3 teams winning.

Looking forward to the next one now but I hope they look at tweaking the rules a bit more again, to keep the format fresh, these days the US Amazing Race is a pretty slick operation, which I think has lost some of the flaws that made the first few seasons so lovable for many.
  • Options
    javjamoll84javjamoll84 Posts: 15,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Very relieved at the result! :D Wasn't looking good there until the end. But I guess as they didn't attempt to show shots of how far Jen and Kisha were ahead of them on the bridge made it that they were pretty far ahead at the end.

Sad the taxi pretty much cost Gary and Mallory at the beginning! :(

I have to say, the Trots showed some initiative when they decided to drop the bags and make the taxi refill during a task! Though I guess it couldve backfired, as it nearly did at one point after the mermaids.
  • Options
    PsychonautPsychonaut Posts: 573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Amazing Race Australia Season 1 begins in a few days, let's hope it's available online somewhere!
  • Options
    telly fantelly fan Posts: 2,252
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychonaut wrote: »
    Amazing Race Australia Season 1 begins in a few days, let's hope it's available online somewhere!

there is a link posted on amazing race Australia thread woohoo :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Psychonaut wrote: »

woo hoo!:D
  • Options
    VesnaVesna Posts: 31,651
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    woo hoo!:D
    woo hoo!

Happy with the result too. Happy the sisters won.
    See you in Australia...:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Vesna wrote: »
    See you in Australia...:D

I wish! :D