The 2015 Oscars Thread

Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So we had a thread for the run up to the 2014 Oscars from around this time last year (see here http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1908378&highlight=oscars ),
and it generated some pretty cool discussion, so I thought I'd start one for next years Oscars and see if it sticks again. :)

I think it could be an interesting race this year, with a pretty wide field of potential nominess in the Picture and Actor categories especially.

I'll declare my early allegiance to Boyhood, both because I loved the film and because of the pretty amazing story of how it was made. Also I'd get a kick out of a small film winning through. I also highly rate Nighcrawler, Gone Girl, and Whiplash.

I adored The Grand Budapest Hotel as well but I fear it's release slot will count against it.

Today marked the first of the Film Critics awards, The New York Film Critics Circle. Results were as follows:

Film: Boyhood
Director: Richard Linklater - Boyhood
Actor: Timothy Spall - Mr. Turner
Actress: Marion Cotillard - The Immigrant/Two Days, One Night
Supp. Actor: J.K. Simmons - Whiplash
Supp. Actress: Patricia Arquette - Boyhood
Screenplay: The Grand Budapest Hotel
Animated Film: The LEGO Movie

Comments

• necromancer20necromancer20 Posts: 2,548
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awesome, though I haven't seen't the vast majority of the supposed awards contenders yet. :p

I too liked Nightcrawler and I'd like to see Jake Gyllenhaal get nominated for Best Actor, he's really extraordinary in it. My favourite film of the year is still Locke and it's a shame Tom Hardy will be ignored (I'm not even a fanboy of his).

I could be wrong but at this moment there seems to be only one major category that's done and dusted and that's Best Actress. It has to be some performance to prevent Rosamund Pike from winning for Gone Girl.
  • Muttley76Muttley76 Posts: 97,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I too liked Nightcrawler and I'd like to see Jake Gyllenhaal get nominated for Best Actor, he's really extraordinary in it.

I agree, it's the best lead performance of the year for me, though I fear it may be a bit too "dirty" for the oscars, but fingers crossed for a nomination. I'd say Keaton, Redmayne and Cumberbath have three places sewn up, but still two to play for.
    My favourite film of the year is still Locke and it's a shame Tom Hardy will be ignored (I'm not even a fanboy of his).

Not seen this yet, but Hardy is a fine actor, his performance in Lawless, which I saw the other week, was excellent. I think his understated style means he often times does get overlooked.
    I could be wrong but at this moment there seems to be only one major category that's done and dusted and that's Best Actress. It has to be some performance to prevent Rosamund Pike from winning for Gone Girl.

Well, most people think it's going to finally be Julianne Moores year, for Still Alice, but I do think Pike is one to watch.

I'd say J K Simmons for Whiplash in the supporting actor category is the biggest lock, and his performance in this is immense.
  • GrecomaniaGrecomania Posts: 19,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Interstellar will be interesting I think. Not seen it myself, but could clean up, or they could think they've done Space Oscar's with Gravity.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Interstellar will be interesting I think. Not seen it myself, but could clean up, or they could think they've done Space Oscar's with Gravity.

I don't see it cleaning up, it's had mixed to postive reviews, and I think generally the critical reception has been one of "close but no cigar". It might sneak a best picture nomination plus some techical nods. But even on the technical side, I see Apes winning for visual effects, and the sound editing/mix has been poorly recived in many quarters, so I think it has only limited oscar potential.
  • MrSuperMrSuper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Double post
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pike for Best Actress? Interstellar for Best Picture? Lol. They'll be lucky to get in! Sneak in more like!

PS. They deserve to be nominated but don't think it's going to happen sadly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MrSuper wrote: »
    Pike for Best Actress? Interstellar for Best Picture? Lol. Sneak in more like!

PS. They deserve to be nominated but don't think it's going to happen sadly.

Pike is likely to get nominated imho. The actress category is one of the weaker ones this year for one thing, for another, her performance is more memorable than most this year. I'd say actress will be Julianne Moore (Still Alice), Reece Witherspoone (Wild), Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything), Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl) and Amy Adams (Big Eyes).
  • Sick n SexifiedSick n Sexified Posts: 1,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Steve Carrell is definitely one to watch for Best Actor for Foxcatcher

He's undergone a pretty severe physical transformation. (Which the Academy likes, think Charlize Theron in Monster) And he seems really sinister in the role, in a good way
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Muttley76 wrote: »
    Pike is likely to get nominated imho. The actress category is one of the weaker ones this year for one thing, for another, her performance is more memorable than most this year. I'd say actress will be Julianne Moore (Still Alice), Reece Witherspoone (Wild), Felicity Jones (The Theory of Everything), Rosamund Pike (Gone Girl) and Amy Adams (Big Eyes).

For me, she will be the weakest out of that 5 and be at the bottom of the rankings hence why i don't feel she'll get a nomination. Hope she does though as she played a blinder in Gone Girl!

Personally Felicity Jones being nominated is a bigger deal. Well done that girl! To go from a bit part in the shitty The Amazing Spiderman 2 to Oscar nominee is frankly brilliant!

He's undergone a pretty severe physical transformation. (Which the Academy likes, think Charlize Theron in Monster) And he seems really sinister in the role, in a good way

He'll definetely be nominated. Won't win. The film is too dark for the Academy. Same goes for it's picture and director chances.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's undergone a pretty severe physical transformation. (Which the Academy likes, think Charlize Theron in Monster) And he seems frankly terrifying in the role.

It's a very strong performance in a very solid film, but for some reason, Foxcatcher seems to have faded a lot in terms of being seen as an oscar contender.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me, she will be the weakest out of that 5 and be at the bottom of the rankings hence why i don't feel she'll get a nomination. Hope she does though as she played a blinder in Gone Girl!

I'd probably place her third, behind Moore and Jones. I think she creates a very iconic character in Gone Girl.
    Personally Felicity Jones being nominated is a bigger deal. Well done that girl! To go from shitty The Amazing Spiderman 2 to this is frankly brilliant!

Thats show business for you! :D
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member

At the moment the predictors are trying to see which Brit girl is in more trouble for that nod (her or Jones).

So, at best she is in third place and most people are saying that it is a weak year and that otherwise those kind of performances would be overlooked (mind you, everybody keeps hanging on to the same 4 names all the time, so they should create their own buzz for other performances).

My own favourite this year is Gugu Mbatha-Raw, first noticed her in Doctor Who and have followed her career ever since (yes, even in Bonekickers :blush:). She won't get an Oscar nod (she did score a British Indie nod and a Satellite nod), though most Oscar pundits have her in the top 10. Good to see a British actress in the mix with roles other then that of a wife (timid or otherwise).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just looking at the betting for best actress and Aniston is in there:o

Anyone seen Cake?

Oh and Jolie high up in the directing category.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Anyone seen Cake?

Jolie won't be nominated. Discussed, yes. Nominated, no chance.

Aniston - don't make me laugh! Just speculation and not even good speculation at that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jolie won't be nominated. Discussed, yes. Nominated, no chance.

To be fair she has been seen as a contender, but early reviews of Unbroken coming out today are kind of mixed, so now not seeing it either really. If pushed I'd say Linklater, DuVernay, González Iñárritu, Fincher and Tyldum. But I think Linklater is the only absoulte dead cert to be nominated. Quite a few bubbling under.
  • Sherlock_HolmesSherlock_Holmes Posts: 6,882
    Forum Member

Anyone seen Cake?

LOL! That kinda talk only highlights the Friends watchers amongst the pundits. It might be a weak year, but definitely not that weak.

Not anymore, the movie was presented before critics last weekend and for now it seems only tech nods are likely (and still a small chance of best picture).

Furthermore, it seems like Gugu (alongside Moore) was talked about regarding the prestigious NYFCC award (decided by ballot voting and voting rounds), which in the end went to Marion Cotillard. Can actually see her getting a Bafta nomination (think that Moore and especially Witherspoon might be snubbed).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    To be fair she has been seen as a contender, but early reviews of Unbroken coming out today are kind of mixed, so now not seeing it either really. If pushed I'd say Linklater, DuVernay, González Iñárritu, Fincher and Tyldum. But I think Linklater is the only absoulte dead cert to be nominated. Quite a few bubbling under.

I have to disagree. Massively. Dead cert - Linklater AND González Iñárritu. Guaranteed! You'd be a fool to say he isn't a dead cert. He is a massive contender and may even snatch victory from who is MOST likely to win - Linklater (he's due).
    Furthermore, it seems like Gugu (alongside Moore) was talked about regarding the prestigious NYFCC award (decided by ballot voting and voting rounds), which in the end went to Marion Cotillard. Can actually see her getting a Bafta nomination (think that Moore and especially Witherspoon might be snubbed).

I admire your passion and high hopes for Gugu, at best she'll get a look in at the BAFTAS. That's it. Oscar will not be coming knocking at her door.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BAFTA was funny last year, in that the winners of best actor and supporting actor both failed to be nominated!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have to disagree. Massively. Dead cert - Linklater AND González Iñárritu. Guaranteed! You'd be a fool to say he isn't a dead cert. He is a massive contender and may even snatch victory from who is MOST likely to win - Linklater (he's due).

only page 1 and I'm already being called a fool, bodes well...;-)

I think he is highly likely to be nominated, but theres a small chance he misses I think.

Linklater has done so many great films, should have been nominated for at least one of the Before films. Rather like Moore I think that the fact people see he is due recognition may work in his favour this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    only page 1 and I'm already being called a fool, bodes well...;-)

I think he is highly likely to be nominated, but theres a small chance he misses I think.

I'm sorry. I still can't agree with you on this. There is NO chance he will miss. Just trust me on this. If Linklater wasn't in the mix, he would win Best Director hands down. Honestly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    LOL! That kinda talk only highlights the Friends watchers amongst the pundits. It might be a weak year, but definitely not that weak.

Not anymore, the movie was presented before critics last weekend and for now it seems only tech nods are likely (and still a small chance of best picture).

Hey, I'm only going on the betting I didn't even know either film existed before I looked that up.
  • JCRJCR Posts: 24,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Fox are reportedly pushing for Gugu Mbatha-Raw, wouldn't surprise me at all if she got nominated. Not got a hope in hell of winning mind.
  • LMLM Posts: 63,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I disliked Julianne Moore in Still Alice. She is one of my fav actresses but i found it a totally insincere and emotionless performance. Especially if you compare it to a similar and much incredible performance done by Julie Christine in 2006 .The weakest performance of her whole career. If anyone gave the best performance in that film, was shockingly Kristin Stewart who gave a developed mature performance. But her performance was hardly Oscar worthy at all as well. However, It wouldn't shock me if Julianne does win the oscar, in the same vein as Kate Winslet. A long overdue oscar but for a poor performance.

Going by what i read and I do check so many different websites over the year, this is what i find to be the contenders. But what I am saying isn't correct or wrong. It's just information i have gathered.

The main contenders for best actress seem to be

Moore, Pike, Witherspoon and Jones. There is an open fifth spot which some are predicting to be Amy Adams, Emily Blunt or Jennifer Aniston. Last year, Cate had the oscar firmly in the bag before the award season begun. This season, there isn't a definite winner.

The main contenders for best supporting actress are

Patricia Arquette, Jessica Chastain, Meryl Streep, Keira Knightley and Emma Stone. Laura Dern and Carmen Ejogo are outside contenders. After recently seeing Boyhood, I was disappointing in Patricia Arquette's performance. It was a very uneven film and her performance was all over the place, but yet many reckon she has the oscar firmly in the bag. God knows why. But then the same was said about Oprah and she never even got nominated.

The main contenders for best actor seem to be

Michael Keaton, Oscar Issac, Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne and Timothy Spall. Steve Carrell is an outside contender. But then so was Leonardo Dicaprio and he sneaked in at the last minute for Wolf of wall street.

The Main contenders for best supporting actor are

J.K Simmons, Ethan Hawke, Edward Norton and Mark Ruffalo. There is an open fifth space. But from what I hear and read, the best supporting actor race for this season may be the least competitive, so the fifth space could be anyone's and the win could be anyone's. I have seen Ethan Hawke in Boyhood and I thought he was incredible.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Even though we're into December, it doesn't seem a particularly interesting year Academy-wise. As films, Foxcatcher, Birdman and Inherent Vice look like bright spots, but it feels we're missing the spice 12 Yrs a Slave brought to the table last year. Or at least so far.

Still, at least the usual intense (and a little baffling) scrutiny over best/supporting actress is up and running it seems.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main contenders for best actress seem to be

Moore, Pike, Witherspoon and Jones. There is an open fifth spot which some are predicting to be Amy Adams, Emily Blunt or Jennifer Aniston. Last year, Cate had the oscar firmly in the bag before the award season begun. This season, there isn't a definite winner.

There is, Moore. She's due.
    The main contenders for best supporting actress are

Patricia Arquette, Jessica Chastain, Meryl Streep, Keira Knightley and Emma Stone. Laura Dern and Carmen Ejogo are outside contenders. After recently seeing Boyhood, I was disappointing in Patricia Arquette's performance. It was a very uneven film and her performance was all over the place, but yet many reckon she has the oscar firmly in the bag. God knows why. But then the same was said about Oprah and she never even got nominated

Many would disagree with you. Otherwise she wouldn't even be considered for a nomination, let alone be the favourite to win it.
    The main contenders for best actor seem to be

Michael Keaton, Oscar Issac, Benedict Cumberbatch, Eddie Redmayne and Timothy Spall. Steve Carrell is an outside contender. But then so was Leonardo Dicaprio and he sneaked in at the last minute for Wolf of wall street

He isn't. He'll be there. But i wouldn't at all be surprised if Spall sneaks in, for me he's the outsider. Replace Isaac with David Oyelowo. Isaac deserves a nomination, but sadly he'll be overlooked again.
    The Main contenders for best supporting actor are

J.K Simmons, Ethan Hawke, Edward Norton and Mark Ruffalo. There is an open fifth space. But from what I hear and read, the best supporting actor race for this season may be the least competitive, so the fifth space could be anyone's and the win could be anyone's. I have seen Ethan Hawke in Boyhood and I thought he was incredible.

Not a chance. Simmons has this in the bag (he's also due). Norton could cause an upset, but not likely. I'm disappointed Ruffalo isn't higher up in the rankings. He is simply tremendous.