Just lost my dog and I am totally gutted!

marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
My wonderful dog of 11 yrs died yesterday she collapsed with a stroke. she died in the car on the way to the vet,

I have lost both my parents and other relatives and also quite a few other dogs. But I have never felt a sense of loss like this is that bad?

Comments

• WhatJoeThinksWhatJoeThinks Posts: 11,037
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is that bad? Certainly not. Dogs are family.

Sorry for your loss.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Oh no, awww x 😦
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry to hear that. :(

Losing a pet is awful.

Take care of yourself.
  • BlueEyedMrsPBlueEyedMrsP Posts: 12,178
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aww, I'm sorry. :( I know pets are part of the family too. They love us unconditionally. x
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry for you loss.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sorry to hear that. animals are probably a lot more honest in their emotions....
  • DangermooseDangermoose Posts: 67,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So sorry for your loss marlman and no it's not bad to feel that way. Every loss - be it human or beloved pet can hit you completely differently. Never known pain like it when I lost my first cat.

Be kind to yourself xx
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    Losing a pet can be devastating. Allow yourself time to grief.

I'm sorry for your loss.

You say you've never felt loss like this. Have you lost others recently as maybe it could be a build up of bad things being overwhelming but it's also natural to be sad at losing an animal.

Dogs are man's best friend so they say.
  • Jim_McIntoshJim_McIntosh Posts: 5,866
    Forum Member
    Sorry for your loss. Quite natural to be upset as dogs are very loyal and very attentive to everyone around them so become very important to families. We've always had a dog and every time one dies then I always think "never again" as it's heartbreaking.
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    i`m so sorry for your loss, it`s not odd just a special bond.
  • NilremNilrem Posts: 6,938
    Forum Member
    Sorry to hear that :(

We lost our mutt last year, he'd been ill for a while and at least we were able to get most of his favourite people round to say goodbye before we took him to the vets (who were great and let us bring him in out of hours)..
    In some ways I was fonder of him than large parts of my family, and I'd spend 12 years with him around the house (always there when I got home and happy to see me)..

I'm not too ashamed to say I broke down in the vets, and even typing this I'm struggling a bit..

Try to remember the fun times with your mutt.
    We're finally starting to look at getting another, but we've been taking the time to do the sort of work in the garden you can't do with a dog around (new fencing being the big one).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Do you think a new companion my help. You have lots of love to give it seems.

Another dog would love the chance to have a owner like you when the time is right for you.
  • Bulletguy1Bulletguy1 Posts: 18,429
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A mans best friend OP. Feel for you irrespective of gender! I've never had another dog since i had to have mine put to sleep and that was 35 years ago now.

I'm currently 'baby sitting' two cats which belong to a neighbour whilst she's away on holiday for a week. Maybe doing something like that might help a bit?
  • hazydayzhazydayz Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    Very sorry to hear about this marlman. I've had dogs all my life and know what it is like. The older you get the more it hurts.
  • sutiesutie Posts: 32,645
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel for you OP. Our dog was run over 3 years ago, and even now I can't think of what happened without tearing up.

Take care.
  • EurostarEurostar Posts: 78,519
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Losing a dog is like losing a member of the family. You'd want to have a heart of stone not to be affected by it and not to feel upset.
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    So, so sorry, marlman, xxx.

I know exactly what it's like and I also understand what you say about the loss. My Dad went through the war, lost his parents and loads of brothers, yet nothing to him was worse than our dog dying. He wrote in his diary 'Today is the worst day of my life'. So NO, it is absolutely NOT bad.

I promise you, like everyone says, it will get better slowly and you will have your happy memories.

But I know the pain and misery you are in. Take care.
  • happygirl22happygirl22 Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    marlman wrote: »
    My wonderful dog of 11 yrs died yesterday she collapsed with a stroke. she died in the car on the way to the vet,

I have lost both my parents and other relatives and also quite a few other dogs. But I have never felt a sense of loss like this is that bad?

Aww thats horrible mate, take care though
    Lost my cat of two years only last year, was very sad, can imagine its worse for you
    I did a little sanctuary in the back garden with a waterfall and loads of flowery pots, helped a bit, as I said take care, it sucks but it will heal in time for you x
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Sorry for your loss there marlman.

My dog (a Scottish terrier) was 11 when I had to have her put down due to kidney problems and it really did me in so I know how you feel with the loss of not just a pet but a good friend.

I never replaced 'Emma' with another, I just couldn't and never will.
  • NamiraNamira Posts: 3,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They really leave a big hole in your life when they die. I lost my elderly EBT last autumn and I still miss her despite having lots of dogs around. I have an area behind my garden shed where quite a few of my departed pets are buried. I put a little bench there and a plaque on the wall with the quote "Dogs lives are too short. Their only fault really"....ain't it the truth. :(
  • Tess-gTess-g Posts: 29,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that when we lose family members we can often stay strong for others in our family group and sometimes don't grieve as much as we need. Then, losing a pet brings all that pent up grief to the fore.

I'm really sorry for your loss.
  • Mrs BBVMrs BBV Posts: 3,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marlman wrote: »

I can't even begin to imagine your pain. I have no children so my 'boy' is my absolute baby. I dread to think how I will cope without him, he doesn't even let me go to the bathroom with following me to lie outside the door.

The only positive surely is there was no long drawn out painful suffering and it was quick and that your darling girl was with you? That must have been of great comfort to her.

So sorry for your loss. Xx
  • happygirl22happygirl22 Posts: 409
    Forum Member
    The heartache is more because they gave and recieved unconditional love...something to cherish and celebrate when u are ready
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,833
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm really sorry, dogs really are unconditional friends
  • R82n8R82n8 Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I lost my two best friends in the space of three months at the beginning of the year.

I wrote a long message here but deleted it.

Thought it would show just how it affected me then by posting links to how I felt at the time.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=75884678&postcount=521

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showpost.php?p=77775680&postcount=541

In months you will still quietly weep as you remember them, but after time you will see that you were blessed with a good friend and the pain will subside. Which will lead to a feeling of loss but not despair.
    A loved pet who loved you unconditionally back will always make a mark on your soul for the rest of your life.

Take care, grief is normal, I feel for you at this raw moment.