"Strictly is a family show" - no same sex pairiings

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I don't agree that the "vast majority" of the population doesn't want to see two men dancing together. (Though a same sex couple could also be two women.)

All of the men I know would agree with me.
    jjwales wrote: »
    Tbh, you do sound a bit homophobic! If you don't even watch the programme, why would you care?

A fair proportion of my favourite singer's, actor's and entertainers are gay.

Those that know me know I'm not homophobic, I just don't want to see two men dancing.

Famous last words.

Saying that you can't have a gay couple on a programme because it's a 'family show' implies that there's something about gay couples that shouldn't be around children.

Are you really sure that no straight couple would watch a gay couple dancing. Can you be sure that 'your opinion' is the same thing as 'everybodies opinion'???

I didn't say that my opinion was the same as everyone else's, I said the vast majority.

I didn't say you can't have a gay couple on a family show and they can't be around children, where did you get that from?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Andrew-W wrote: »

Those that know me know I'm not homophobic, I just don't want to see two men dancing.

I didn't say that my opinion was the same as everyone else's, I said the vast majority.

I didn't say you can't have a gay couple on a family show and they can't be around children, where did you get that from?

Ok. I may have conflated your post with my thoughts on the OP.

But, that is the BBC's implication. There's something about the gay community that they think is somehow 'non-family friendly'.

Personally don't think the man on the street give two shits about same sex dancing, and if they did their most probably homophobic...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 961
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know that if 2 guys were dancing I'd be switching over for certain. Not because I'm homophobic in anyway but I just couldn't handle the spin and false excitement it would generate within and around the show.
  • Paul237Paul237 Posts: 8,654
    Forum Member

But you only know a handful of men presumably. I don't think you can say their views are reflective of the whole population.

If you were invited to a same sex wedding would you cover your eyes during the first dance? :D
  • ffawkesffawkes Posts: 4,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its kept CJ Egghead away, isn't that a result ?

Absolutely. It's a family show and he's enough to scare any child under 12 whoever he danced with.
    Forum Member
    ffawkes wrote: »
    Absolutely. It's a family show and he's enough to scare any child under 12 whoever he danced with.

:D Yep, I can't stand him. On Eggheads he makes it so obvious he wants to win, whereas the other Eggheads obviously try to win but aren't that bothered if they don't.
  • postitpostit Posts: 23,839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Paul237 wrote: »
    I don't agree that the "vast majority" of the population doesn't want to see two men dancing together. (Though a same sex couple could also be two women.)

We've legalised gay marriage and attitudes to homosexuality have very much improved, so I doubt that many people would care about two men or two women dancing together.

Aw look. I'm all for sexual equality, I support gay marriage. I can empathise with trans people of both sexes, I think they tread a very rocky road and wish them nothing but the best, but look at it from another perspective. I'm hetero, not bi-curious, don't have a gay best friend and you know what? I'm one of the silent majority!
    Forum Member
    postit wrote: »
    Aw look. I'm all for sexual equality, I support gay marriage. I can empathise with trans people of both sexes, I think they tread a very rocky road and wish them nothing but the best, but look at it from another perspective. I'm hetero, not bi-curious, don't have a gay best friend and you know what? I'm one of the silent majority!

I don't get what point you're trying to make. Are you saying you wouldn't want to see two men/two women dancing?
  • d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,515
    Forum Member

But, that is the BBC's implication. There's something about the gay community that they think is somehow 'non-family friendly'.

More like non-audience-figures friendly.
  • HP.80 VictorHP.80 Victor Posts: 1,118
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who the **** cares? Is there an actual reason why a gay man can't dance with a women, or is it just another case of a militant gay trying to force an agenda?
    Forum Member
    Who the **** cares? Is there an actual reason why a gay man can't dance with a women, or is it just another case of a militant gay trying to force an agenda?

Lol - surely this post is a parody of a right wing Daily Mail reader?
  • EmolgaEmolga Posts: 47,261
    Forum Member

I don't watch the show, but I agree with you. I've nothing against the gays, but I would be turned away by two people of the same sex dancing together. The same sex makes it look more intimate, rather than friendly, and I always saw the show as light-hearted more than anything else. Just my opinion, of course!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Their only dancing.... It's not sexual.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The same sex makes it look more intimate, rather than friendly, and I always saw the show as light-hearted more than anything else. Just my opinion, of course!

Exactly! ;-)
  • skp20040skp20040 Posts: 66,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I do think this guy CJ is rather fluid with his "facts" the BBC did not approach him his agent put his name forward with certain demands and his agents offer was not taken up . He also "suggested" Robin may have been axed for pushing for same sex couples, whereas Robin himself who had to pull out last year due to an injury sustained the previous year himself seems to have hinted that he feels it is an age related thing .

I would ask CJ why he would only dance with another man, what is wrong with dancing with a lady ? I think he was more interested in making headlines than taking part in any competition.
    Forum Member
    I don't watch the show, but I agree with you. I've nothing against the gays, but I would be turned away by two people of the same sex dancing together. The same sex makes it look more intimate, rather than friendly, and I always saw the show as light-hearted more than anything else. Just my opinion, of course!

Why intimate? It's not like any of the people dancing are actually dating (Kristina aside, though not this year!)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not demanding they introduce a same sex couple on Strictly, I'm just curious as to why so many people seem to be against it, rather than not caring one way or another.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Seriously, what is this agenda that gay people supposedly have? I've asked so many people over the years, but no one has ever given me an answer.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ask me, there are some that need to get used to the sight of same-sex couples kissing/ dancing/ holding hands.

These things are a normal part of life and need to get used to seeing them.....
    Forum Member
    Whedonite wrote: »
    Seriously, what is this agenda that gay people supposedly have? I've asked so many people over the years, but no one has ever given me an answer.

There isn't one, it's just something that a few people invent to make their irrational dislike seem more rational.

For example, when gay marriage was still illegal they'd say that the drive for same sex marriage was "pushing an agenda" because it made it sound more nefarious than saying "they want equality".
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It makes the selection simple... theres x males and the same females to be paired with people of the opposite sex and thus equality is served, we don't get to know what the pro's like to eat be it fish or pork shall we say
  • evie71evie71 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you ask me, there are some that need to get used to the sight of same-sex couples kissing/ dancing/ holding hands.

These things are a normal part of life and need to get used to seeing them.....

Why? Because you, as a trans says so? I will be watching SCD with my 3 year old this year and I don't intend on explaining to her why a man is dancing with another man or a woman is dancing with another woman. However much the damn PC brigrade try to tell me I should!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 246
    Forum Member
    evie71 wrote: »
    Why? Because you, as a trans says so? I will be watching SCD with my 3 year old this year and I don't intend on explaining to her why a man is dancing with another man or a woman is dancing with another woman. However much the damn PC brigrade try to tell me I should!

Do you explain to her that it's compulsory for the dancing couples to engage in sex between shows?
    I assume you drew pictures explaining how heterosexual sex works, because that's integral to the competition.
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

Why not at that age I saw my Mums gay friends kissing and grew up seeing that is it no diffrent to man and woman kissing.

Only thing what confused me was when I was 7 and asked if they were married or getting married and they told me they couldn't.
    Forum Member

If you're happy to let a 3 year old watch two people dance it shouldn't matter what gender they are. That said, I'm surprised you'd let a 3 year old stay up late enough to watch SCD.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It's no one else's fault that you can't be bothered to tell your 3 year old that some men dance with men and some women dance with other women.