11 year old boy shoots dead 8 year old girl...

Nicola32Nicola32 Posts: 5,153
Forum Member
This incident beggars belief!

Why was an 11 year old able to get hold of such a lethal weapon??:o:(

The parents should also face some charges, totally irresponsible parenting!!>:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450841

Comments

• ElyanElyan Posts: 8,781
    Forum Member
    Terribly tragic incident.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the risk of sounding crass, it's the US so what do you expect ?

According to the article, the Gun Violence Archive, which is a non-profit charity, have said that 559 children have been killed or injured by guns this year alone.

But hey, the NRA (and Fox News) think more guns should be available ..
  • MikeJWMikeJW Posts: 3,948
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But hey, the NRA (and Fox News) think more guns should be available ..
    "Yes, if only she'd had a gun then this might have been very different" (sigh).
  • 2+2=52+2=5 Posts: 24,264
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's very upsetting to read this story. Her mum claims he was bullying her. And all of it over a puppy. Just....a distressing story. Poor, poor little girl.
  • claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But no, America doesn't have a problem with their gun laws at all...
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    claire2281 wrote: »
    But no, America doesn't have a problem with their gun laws at all...

It was a shotgun, a widely available class of firearm in the UK. Could have happened anywhere.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    idlewilde wrote: »
    It was a shotgun, a widely available class of firearm in the UK. Could have happened anywhere.

true

even the best laid protection of a safe or two wouldn't help if the kid knew where the keys or the unlock codes were kept as kids aint daft they do watch and listen

i do remember when my uncle came to visit from working at a farm at my grandparents house there was a fruit bowl in the pantry full and i mean full of shotgun rounds as he'd go out shooting and then bring back pheasants/ rabbits etc and just empty his pockets into the bowl. quite often the gun would just be left in the corner of the room but it was a different era and different views on safety in the 1970's but i never once thought to pick it up and go settle a score with one of the other local kids
  • SchmiznurfSchmiznurf Posts: 4,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As far as I recall there hasn't been an incident where a child has shotgunned another child in the UK. This kind of stuff happens primarily in the United States where everyone is a coward who thinks guns are a legitimate form of defence and are happy to shoot before thinking.

It beggars belief as to what it will take for the US to actually talk seriously about gun control.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member

Yet it doesn't seem to. At least with not the same frequency. Funny that.
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MikeJW wrote: »
    "Yes, if only she'd had a gun then this might have been very different" (sigh).

I'm gonna start an Orginization in America called the 'national bomb assosiation'.

I'm gonna go on American tv and argue that the only way to stop terrorism is if more average citizens wore bomb vests.....
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,195
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna start an Orginization in America called the 'national bomb assosiation'.

I'm gonna go on American tv and argue that the only way to stop terrorism is if more average citizens wore bomb vests.....

You'd probably get elected in some backwater states.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dee123 wrote: »
    You'd probably get elected in some backwater states.

:D:D:D Beat me to it!
  • zx50zx50 Posts: 91,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The people doing the shooting seem to be getting younger over there.
  • TobySTobyS Posts: 752
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Perhaps it could have happened elsewhere, but the U.S has such a high acceptance of firearms that they're often kept unlocked, under the bed or in the sock drawer. Remember, most Americans who own guns, own them for protection; they're not much use for protection when you have to walk passed an intruder to get to the gun safe (see Jim Jefferies' take on this here).

My father and brother own a number of shotguns and rifles - they are both target shooters, and they are always kept in the gun safe. Not once have any of them been left lying around. The gun safe was a legal requirement. Even before they got their firearm licences the police came round to check all the windows and doors had approved locks on them. They've kept firearms of one sort or another for around 20 years and to this day I still have no idea where the keys are for the safe. I don't know because I don't need to know.

Maybe this could have happened in the UK, but the chances are slim compared to the U.S. It's actually such a common occurrence that if the victim and shooter had been adults, we wouldn't even have heard about it. Even in the U.S it wouldn't have been reported outside the local rag.

I guess this is the price they pay for their freedom.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You could argue that you need bombs to protect your family home from those people who are coming to murder you. Actually, you could just basically take any argument from the NRA or any other organization regarding guns and replace the word "gun" with "bomb" and it would still have exactly the same meaning.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the American culture. If you don't like what someone is doing you shoot them dead. If you are offended by the slightest thing they say, then you sue, and then you go into therapy. It's a spiteful, selfish nation generally. No wonder Americans are so hated by some nations. I never thought I would ever say all that, but recent events have changed my mind.
    Poor little girl and her family.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Schmiznurf wrote: »
    As far as I recall there hasn't been an incident where a child has shotgunned another child in the UK.

I do remember one in Somerset when I was growing up; on one of the nearby farms. Mind you, that would probably be about 35 years ago now, and they were young teens iirc, so I don't think it really invalidates your point much, if at all.
  • Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Guns don't kill people
    Rows over puppies do
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It seems a country gone mad. When they're not shooting each other, they're suing each other – not in the way that happens over here, but for millions of dollars. Mind you, they need that to pay for their regular therapy sessions, maintain their fluorescent white teeth, top up their plastic surgery and guzzle down vitamin overdoses... or so it seems.
  • teresagreenteresagreen Posts: 16,444
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    It seems a country gone mad. When they're not shooting each other, they're suing each other – not in the way that happens over here, but for millions of dollars. Mind you, they need that to pay for their regular therapy sessions, maintain their fluorescent white teeth, top up their plastic surgery and guzzle down vitamin overdoses... or so it seems.

Yep; my thoughts exactly.
  • DomestosDomestos Posts: 7,014
    Forum Member
    Nicola32 wrote: »
    This incident beggars belief!

Why was an 11 year old able to get hold of such a lethal weapon??:o:(

The parents should also face some charges, totally irresponsible parenting!!>:(

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-34450841

There must be laws regarding the safekeeping of such a weapon. If you insist on having a gun then the law should insist that the gun is safely secured from children and others, and hopefully revoke license to own a gun in the future.

Needless, senseless tragedy.
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Domestos wrote: »
    There must be laws regarding the safekeeping of such a weapon. If you insist on having a gun then the law should insist that the gun is safely secured from children and others, and hopefully revoke license to own a gun in the future.

Needless, senseless tragedy.

The point is that a locked up gun isn't convenient when it's locked away.

It has to be that guns need to be taken away, or everybody will have to have one. One or the other.
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    The point is that a locked up gun isn't convenient when it's locked away.

It has to be that guns need to be taken away, or everybody will have to have one. One or the other.

Which would you prefer?

Oh and while it may not be convenient, having an accessible gun surely is total f**wittery? Especially with children around. I truly believe the parents should be charged with neglect or whatever would be appropriate. (I know very little of the law in the States)
  • bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Domestos wrote: »
    Which would you prefer?

I'd prefer the guns taken away.
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    I'd prefer the guns taken away.

I agree but do you really see that happening any time soon? I don't and so feel there should be more safety surrounding the storage of them at the very least.