another floped winner!!!

Comments

• Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    exactly

people get a bit too wrapped up with post show success , its a saturday night light entertainment tv show with some people doing above average karaoke

I agree from a viewers POV but then whats in it for anyone to bother entering if they don't even get the chance of any backing or a career?

I imagine things will change on ITV though. Maybe they'll get the chance to be a one hit wonder and then dropped like the X Factor winners
  • mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I agree from a viewers POV but then whats in it for anyone to bother entering if they don't even get the chance of any backing or a career?

I imagine things will change on ITV though. Maybe they'll get the chance to be a one hit wonder and then dropped like the X Factor winners

people apply in their thousands to go on big brother , some people will do anything for their 15 minutes of fame

i wouldn't be surprised to see lydia looking a bit more orange and with duck lips on next years CBB ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    people apply in their thousands to go on big brother , some people will do anything for their 15 minutes of fame

i wouldn't be surprised to see lydia looking a bit more orange and with duck lips on next years CBB ;-)

Thats if TOWIE doesn't come calling first :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 72
    Forum Member
    That's a great way of looking at it and makes total sense.
    Thanks you two.:)

The winner's single being for charity reinforces that point and makes George's comments even worse than I had originally considered. So Cody didn't want to do a charity single........nice (not).

Oh, now that's just unfair. There's no way that's what he meant. He meant she didn't want to sing that song, and having heard it, it's understandable to me why, as I agree with those who say it is clearly not a good song for her voice (but is a very good song for Jolan and Kevin's styles). Should he have said it, is another matter. Presumably he was just trying to lighten the mood but I understand why people might think it's in poor taste to do so by having a dig at the winner's single. But there's no way he was saying Cody wouldn't want to sing something for charity.
  • simeysimey Posts: 365
    Forum Member
    BG was being honest. He admitted he wasn't a fan of the song when he was asked for feedback after Jolan and Kevin's performance of it and was very complimentary to both, especially to Kevin but it was obvious that song wouldn't have suited Cody, it's a bit ridiculous to expect all the finalists to sing one winners single when they all have different styles.
  • Rachel_HarrisonRachel_Harrison Posts: 1,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The problem with the show is that they haven't yet produced a winner who has had a career post show.
    So it appears not to matter whether the winner is male or female, young or older, they've all flopped so far.
    Only time will tell but going on past seasons, it doesn't look promising

There's one big difference between Kevin and the previous Voice winners. Kevin has seen the industry from the top and the bottom. He knows that it takes more than just singing his song 1x on air cand hoping for the best.

One hopes he has a good management team and they are already working to get him prime TV and radio promo. Stevie barely appeared anywhere and still got his song to #6.
  • jock_fjock_f Posts: 1,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dellzincht wrote: »
    How sad. Are you his dad? If people can't spell properly then they shouldn't expect to be taken seriously.

You don't give up , do you.? Being able to spell merely indicates you have had a good education. It does not mean you have anything interesting to say. You're not even very good at being a troll.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jock_f wrote: »
    You don't give up , do you.? Being able to spell merely indicates you have had a good education. It does not mean you have anything interesting to say. You're not even very good at being a troll.
    With most computerised applications having some sort of spellchecker on them, not being "educated" is no excuse.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With most computerised applications having some sort of spellchecker on them, not being "educated" is no excuse.

You rely on a spellchecker? Best of luck with that one. :)
  • sixtynotoutsixtynotout Posts: 1,142
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kevin was on BBC Breakfast yesterday morning and was asked about the apparent lack of success of previous winners on The Voice. He said there were other ways to consider yourself successful, for example, live performances, concert tours, TV work etc. but of course would be very happy if he got a successful record career as well. He's 35 years old, been there, done that, but isn't ready to call it a day yet. I wish him all the luck in the world.
  • sheepiefarmsheepiefarm Posts: 27,569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jock_f wrote: »
    You rely on a spellchecker? Best of luck with that one. :)

Oooh - ouch - that stung - completely misrepresenting my comment eh :kitty:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oooh - ouch - that stung - completely misrepresenting my comment eh :kitty:

Isn't English grammar a wonderful thing?:)
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The problem with the show is that they haven't yet produced a winner who has had a career post show.
    So it appears not to matter whether the winner is male or female, young or older, they've all flopped so far.
    Only time will tell but going on past seasons, it doesn't look promising

Why does this bother you? It doesn't bother me.

I only watch the show for the entertainment.

What the artists do with their career afterwards is their concern.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Why does this bother you? It doesn't bother me.

I only watch the show for the entertainment.

What the artists do with their career afterwards is their concern.

Where have I said or even implied that it bothers me? :confused:

Just stating my view based on facts
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    most definatley another failed winner given he was out of the top 100 in the 2nd week of his CD being out we will never hear from him again
  • JEFF62JEFF62 Posts: 5,100
    Forum Member
    most definatley another failed winner given he was out of the top 100 in the 2nd week of his CD being out we will never hear from him again

Yes one week at number 24 and then dropped out of the top 100. That is really bad. What with the last X Factor winner only getting to number 9 it looks like the days of the winners of these shows having million selling number ones could be over. I actually quite liked the Kevin Simm song and actually downloaded it from iTunes. Yes it was me who got it to number 24!!

Poor old Kevin might not even be invited back next year as the previous winner if ITV disassociate themselves from previous series.
  • spikewomanspikewoman Posts: 12,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevin undoubtedly has a lovely quality to his voice although lacks expressiveness in the delivery imho.

He is a difficult one to place as he comes over as a "nice bloke" and a bit ordinary looking with a lovely family etc so I suppose some people can relate to him directly and that is his (for some people) appeal. He just lacks that "oomph" , doesn't project ambition, personality, charisma. You don't have to be weird looking or bonkers or nasty but you have to have that certain thing that connects to the public beyond the context of the show.

Other than an album of soft rock ballads (covers) what can we see him doing? Unless he can write his own material who is going to invest their own original songs in him? He isn't really presenter material, he doesn't seem to be the musical theatre type where is he going to go? Maybe more reality tv beckons and he can cook or survive in desolate places.
  • JohnStannardJohnStannard Posts: 7,649
    Forum Member
    JEFF62 wrote: »
    Yes one week at number 24 and then dropped out of the top 100. That is really bad. What with the last X Factor winner only getting to number 9 it looks like the days of the winners of these shows having million selling number ones could be over. I actually quite liked the Kevin Simm song and actually downloaded it from iTunes. Yes it was me who got it to number 24!!

Poor old Kevin might not even be invited back next year as the previous winner if ITV disassociate themselves from previous series.

BIB I think you could be right with a good valid point
  • Pink KnightPink Knight Posts: 24,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spikewoman wrote: »
    Kevin undoubtedly has a lovely quality to his voice although lacks expressiveness in the delivery imho.

He is a difficult one to place as he comes over as a "nice bloke" and a bit ordinary looking with a lovely family etc so I suppose some people can relate to him directly and that is his (for some people) appeal. He just lacks that "oomph" , doesn't project ambition, personality, charisma. You don't have to be weird looking or bonkers or nasty but you have to have that certain thing that connects to the public beyond the context of the show.

Other than an album of soft rock ballads (covers) what can we see him doing? Unless he can write his own material who is going to invest their own original songs in him? He isn't really presenter material, he doesn't seem to be the musical theatre type where is he going to go? Maybe more reality tv beckons and he can cook or survive in desolate places.
    Well there's Iceland adverts, if they need someone else.
  • MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Will please someone who's responsible for creative output at the BBC and ITV please take note. The days of reality talent shows are over, please stop making them!
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    Stevie barely appeared anywhere and still got his song to #6.

Stevie had the majority of his support coming from Scotland.

Lost Stars was #1 in the Scottish singles chart (yes, such a chart really does exist :p ) but all those sales from Scotland also count towards the UK singles chart. So ultimately it was still a good 95% of Scottish people I'd guess that got Stevie to #6 in the UK chart.
  • Pele-thefiregoddessPele-thefiregoddess Posts: 6,170
    Forum Member
    the voice does have an inherent problem interns of sales/star quality/sales....

it is all to do with the 'special something' that is holistic ...

the uk version tho is hindered by lack of social media, promotion and iTunes/mp3/streaming availability of studio versions and a very short live section of the programme.

Maybe on ITV this will be corrected?
    - studio versions on iTunes/google/amazon/streaming platforms like tidal and spotify after the show
    - xfactor /idol live show format as used in US over several weeks ...you don't get to know the artist enough as in other formats/shows to favour ...
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    As always the majority of voters just look for someone they can identify with for a few weeks sob story, family man with kids etc.

They quickly move on when the show is done as the voters are generally not music buyers
  • HitstasticHitstastic Posts: 8,628
    Forum Member
    The next couple of years will be the most interesting in terms of talent TV shows.

Now with streaming making up the majority of weekly sales, it's going to be interesting to see how the winner of X Factor 2016 fares this year with their winners' single.

If the first winner of The Voice once it's moved to ITV also flops then I really believe it will be time to call it a day.

Either that, or get some quality material ready made for the eventual winner so that they can get the music released after the show whilst people are still interested.

When you consider contestants from Fame Academy and Sky One's Must Be The Music had more success than all the winners of The Voice it really does make you wonder if there is any point to these shows anymore.
  • Jean_DanielsJean_Daniels Posts: 5,031
    Forum Member
    dont think any of the winners have made it big,cant remember most of them now,the only thing i liked was the chairs when you couldnt see the singers,the judges just listened to them