Options

Golf 2016 thread

DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 110,043
Forum Member
✭✭✭✭
Happy new year to the small band of golf regulars on here.

Thought I would steal davethecue's thread from last year and do a new one for this year.

Big year for golf with the Ryder cup and Olympics and first non BBC live coverage of the open.

Feel free to post tips for the tournaments as well with them resuming this week

Lee slattery 50/1 for the South African one

Brandt Schnetker 66/1 for the Hawaii tournament of champions one to start things off

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sadly a Ryder cup hero from the past christy o'connor jnr has passed away aged 67 RIP
  • Options
    The NetThe Net Posts: 5,494
    Forum Member
    Just reading up on the forthcoming golf tournament in Rio Olympics.

Qualifying is by World rankings but with a maximum of four per team.

Those inside the top 15 are given automatic entry unless you have 4 of your compatriots above you. Those players outside the top 15 are limited to teams of two. As things stand only USA will have 4 players. GB will have two as the rankings stand. Justin Rose and Danny Willett.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    First semi important tournament of the year this week the Cadillac championship

Fancy Danny Willett to go well
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,047
    Forum Member
    And he is..

All the talk about Donald Trump
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Willett winning early in second round just as well I backed him at 66/1

You would never guess as you don't seem to be seeming many of his shots .

Oh there he is
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Decent effort from Danny Willett putting it in the water on the 18th finished his chances .

Mcilroy fails to win again.

Adam Scott wins again always looks so miserable
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The demise of Iain Poulter continues the big match play tournament next week continues for the top 64 but he has fallen to number 67 in the world.

So he is now once again first reserve waiting and someone to withdraw so he can get a place in a tournament he has won previously
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not a fantastic tournament for the European contingent in the matchplay tournament all out bar Mcilroy and Cabrera belo
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,047
    Forum Member
    Rory through to the semis again and will face Jason Day..

Belo plays Oosthulzen in the other tie.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Rory through to the semis again and will face Jason Day..

Belo plays Oosthulzen in the other tie.

Day is a great player and very much the world number at the moment but he is a very slow player .

Great tournament for belo as that result gets him in the masters in ten days.

Poulter could not win the lesser tournament in Puerto Rico and finishes joint third
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hey guys. Wondered if anyone could answer a query for me.

I know it's a few months off, but does anyone know if Sky Sports will be covering the Ryder Cup in its entirety? I believe they usually do, but wanted to find out for sure.

I'm asking cos Sky have emailed me an offer for Sky Sports at reduced rate for six months. I'm considering it and would factor the Ryder Cup into my decision!
  • Options
    davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hey guys. Wondered if anyone could answer a query for me.

I know it's a few months off, but does anyone know if Sky Sports will be covering the Ryder Cup in its entirety? I believe they usually do, but wanted to find out for sure.

I'm asking cos Sky have emailed me an offer for Sky Sports at reduced rate for six months. I'm considering it and would factor the Ryder Cup into my decision!

Below is a link that says that they will

My guess is that we will have one of the Sports Channels re-branded as the Ryder Cup channel

"All four majors will be shown live on Sky Sports from 2016, as well as coverage of Europe's bid for a fourth consecutive Ryder Cup victory."

http://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/10011977/golf-live-on-sky-sports-in-2016
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Woods out of the masters following recent back surgery no great surprise i,personally think he should be thinking about calling it a day as his body is clearly not up to it now
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DUNDEEBOY wrote: »
    Woods out of the masters following recent back surgery no great surprise i,personally think he should be thinking about calling it a day as his body is clearly not up to it now

It seems to be the only time we hear of him nowadays is when he is withdrawing from a Major due to injury

Sad for me as I used to really enjoy watching him and his red-top final day victories

(It was good for my wallet as well:))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Masters week who is our bets going on

So far hunter Mayan at 250/1 and I know he isn't in form but Ian poulters masters record is decent so each way as well at 150/1 so far
  • Options
    Sylvester2007Sylvester2007 Posts: 4,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this Par 3 thing really live?

It says it's live but Nicklaus, Watson and Player teed off, they cut to some kids playing for 30 seconds and then apparently the three players had already walked 130 yards in that 30 seconds.

I can't walk 130 yards in 30 seconds, let alone an 80 year old!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Is this Par 3 thing really live?

It says it's live but Nicklaus, Watson and Player teed off, they cut to some kids playing for 30 seconds and then apparently the three players had already walked 130 yards in that 30 seconds.

I can't walk 130 yards in 30 seconds, let alone an 80 year old!

I am never convinced it is truely live
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    I've backed hunter for every single major for about 8 years. Always felt he had the game to win one.

Might just be ready to give up on him. So he'll win! :)

Think I'm gonna do Rory, Bubba and Patrick Reed.
  • Options
    HaydenHayden Posts: 32,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So are we talking about The Masters in here or in the 'Official' thread?
  • Options
    owen10owen10 Posts: 128,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think we should be talking about all this Masters stuff in the Official Masters thread as that is where you get all the latest news
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I know it's the obvious, but hard to look past Jordan Spieth for me

Surprised he's not favourite

(3rd best at Hills at 10/1)
  • Options
    James1953James1953 Posts: 4,840
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James1953 wrote: »
    I know it's the obvious, but hard to look past Jordan Spieth for me

Surprised he's not favourite

(3rd best at Hills at 10/1)

Nearly. Still made a small profit but not as much as was looking likely:)
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Below is a link that says that they will

My guess is that we will have one of the Sports Channels re-branded as the Ryder Cup channel

"All four majors will be shown live on Sky Sports from 2016, as well as coverage of Europe's bid for a fourth consecutive Ryder Cup victory."

http://www.skysports.com/golf/news/12176/10011977/golf-live-on-sky-sports-in-2016

I'd forgotten I'd asked that question about the Ryder Cup until just now! Thanks for your response!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd forgotten I'd asked that question about the Ryder Cup until just now! Thanks for your response!

No probs:)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luke Donald leading the Heritage in America going into the 4th round

Long time since that's happened

Hope he holds on