Options

County Cricket 2016

davethecuedavethecue Posts: 23,179
Forum Member
✭✭✭
New season New Thread :)

Ian Bell has described his appointment as Warwickshire captain as "the fulfilment of a boyhood dream."

Bell is replacing Varun Chopra, whose form with the bat has declined since taking on the captaincy.

But Bell insists his ambitions to win back a place in the England Test team remain undiluted and hopes that the longest break he has enjoyed from the game in more than a decade will spark a revival in his own form.

"If I play at my best, I know I'm good enough to get into that England team," Bell told ESPNcricinfo. "But I know I haven't played at my best, or scored enough runs, in the last few months.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/964111.html

Don't think the Warwickshire committee will want their Captain away on Test duty.

Marcus Trescothic has stepped down at Someset as well and is being replaced by Chris Rogers

Comments

• Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a Somerset fan 2016 looks promising:

First-class/LV County Championship: We have two new players this year with Chris Rogers (Overseas Player/new Somerset Captain) and Ryan Davies (Wicketkeeper/Batsman) also a top four of Trescothick, Abell, Rogers and Hildreth which looks very good/strong.

Possible Landmarks in First-class cricket this year: Trescothick needs 21 catches to get to 500 catches and also needs 471 runs to get to 24000 runs. Trego needs 20 catches to get to 100 catches and also needs 33 wickets to get to 400 wickets, Hildreth needs 525 runs to get to 14000 runs and finally Rogers needs 540 runs to get to 25000.

As for the other formats: Hopefully we can do better in the Cup competitions this year - Jim Allenby is Captain in both (NatWest t20 Blast/Royal London One-Day Cup), we still haven't signed an Overseas Player yet in the NatWest t20 Blast which is worrying (although there has been talks about a possible Chris Gayle return) and in the Royal London One-Day Cup maybe Trescothick will play this year?

Trescothick's record as (official) Somerset Captain: Total matches: 193 (First-class matches: 89, List A matches: 52 and T20 matches: 52).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yorkshire have re-signed Kane Williamson for the 6 weeks mid-summer period

Wonder if they've been after Rabada who has made it known he wants a county contract

They'll be wanting to put a 2nd X1 in division 2 at this rate....;-)

We (Lancs) have signed Neil Wagner for most of the season.

Something I hadn't realised was that Division 1 is likely to be reduced to 8 teams (mentioned in the link below)

His aggression, stamina and commitment should render him a useful addition to a Lancashire side that was promoted back to Division One at the end of last year. With the top division almost certain to shrink to eight teams (from nine) at the end of 2016, Lancashire will have little opportunity to consolidate.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/962331.html
  • Options
    PDS1985PDS1985 Posts: 29,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We (Somerset) have re-signed Chris Gayle for the NatWest T20 Blast:

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/966061.html
  • Options
    howard hhoward h Posts: 23,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davethecue wrote: »
    Yorkshire have re-signed Kane Williamson for the 6 weeks mid-summer period

Wonder if they've been after Rabada who has made it known he wants a county contract

They'll be wanting to put a 2nd X1 in division 2 at this rate....;-)

We (Lancs) have signed Neil Wagner for most of the season.

Something I hadn't realised was that Division 1 is likely to be reduced to 8 teams (mentioned in the link below)

His aggression, stamina and commitment should render him a useful addition to a Lancashire side that was promoted back to Division One at the end of last year. With the top division almost certain to shrink to eight teams (from nine) at the end of 2016, Lancashire will have little opportunity to consolidate.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/962331.html
    Useful but not exactly ground-filling. I know we got promoted - easily I suppose, but thing that was down to the sheer rubbishness of the second than the brilliance of The Mighty. Really am dreading this coming season - one positive it sounds like Smith is fit again so we might have him back for a fortnight...but our batting looks so thin :( - wonder if Keedy's been brought back to boost the middle order :o:D
    Clearly I hope I'm wrong, but if in September we stay up (accounting for any changes in numbers) by one point I'll snatch than now.

Lancs are doing a member's ticket for CC games, something like £120 for 11 days which is saving about £6/day if anyone's keen. Doesn't mention if you can re-use that day if it pours down!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite the big changes to our domestic T20 competition that was envisaged:

England's 18-team county system will survive in a revamped 20-over competition if recommendations from an ECB working party are accepted next month - but only if promotion and relegation is the price the counties agree to pay.

The proposed rejection of an eight-team franchise, or big city, T20 cricket comes with a recognition that the counties must accept the rigours of two divisions based on merit - rather than the regional system currently adopted - if they are to retain a future at the centre of the English T20 game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/971713.html
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    hmmm not really sure about that idea

dont know if i missed it but will that mean the top 4 teams in division one at the end of the round robin stage will go to finals day ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kagiso Rabada has signed to play for Kent for four weeks in this year's county season, subject to receiving an NOC, encompassing six T20s, two one-day games and one first-class match. ESPNcricinfo has confirmed that Rabada will join the Division Two county, who did not sign an overseas player last year, after South Africa's ODI tri-series in West Indies, which ends on June 26.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/southafrica/content/story/973563.html
  • Options
    jake1981jake1981 Posts: 5,716
    Forum Member
    The aussies continue their mission for World Dominance:

Michael di Venuto has become our head coach (replacing Trevor Ford who's gone back to SL)

Di Venuto, who played nine ODIs, is currently Australia's assistant and batting coach and recently took charge of the team when Darren Lehmann suffered DVT. His final Australia assignment will be the T20 tour of South Africa next month and he will join Surrey in early April ahead of the start of their Championship campaign against Nottinghamshire on April 10.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/975283.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not quite the big changes to our domestic T20 competition that was envisaged:

England's 18-team county system will survive in a revamped 20-over competition if recommendations from an ECB working party are accepted next month - but only if promotion and relegation is the price the counties agree to pay.

The proposed rejection of an eight-team franchise, or big city, T20 cricket comes with a recognition that the counties must accept the rigours of two divisions based on merit - rather than the regional system currently adopted - if they are to retain a future at the centre of the English T20 game.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/971713.html
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    hmmm not really sure about that idea

dont know if i missed it but will that mean the top 4 teams in division one at the end of the round robin stage will go to finals day ?
    I read that this season, the two parallel leagues will finish with the top 4 in each going to the quarter-finals (8 teams) who will then automatically be in the first 20/20 division next season.
    The final firts division place will go to the playoff winner between the 5th placed teams.
    All well and good, and I'm not against it as such, but what of the second division next season? What interest will there be r/e crowds and TV money? Will all the TV money simply go to the top division?
    If that's the case, an unequal share of revenue, then how can the Northampton's, Leicester's, Gloucester's of the world survive past the next few years??
    Isn't the overall average gate for the 20/20 boosted by Lancs/Yorks and Surrey/Middex having full houses? What do Northants and Derbys average at home, couple of thousand?
  • Options
    tennismantennisman Posts: 4,484
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    howard h wrote: »
    I read that this season, the two parallel leagues will finish with the top 4 in each going to the quarter-finals (8 teams) who will then automatically be in the first 20/20 division next season.
    The final firts division place will go to the playoff winner between the 5th placed teams.
    All well and good, and I'm not against it as such, but what of the second division next season? What interest will there be r/e crowds and TV money? Will all the TV money simply go to the top division?
    If that's the case, an unequal share of revenue, then how can the Northampton's, Leicester's, Gloucester's of the world survive past the next few years??
    Isn't the overall average gate for the 20/20 boosted by Lancs/Yorks and Surrey/Middex having full houses? What do Northants and Derbys average at home, couple of thousand?

The football Premier League-isation of the LVCC and T20, Howard (if such a word exists???)

A smaller Division 1 will focus resources on a smaller number of the bigger clubs, presumably?

As you say, what impacts on the smaller ones?

If all the competitiveness boosting arguments for 2 Divisions of the County Championship are still valid, I suppose these are being applied to T20?

I'm glad they haven't gone for Big Bash style T20 as I think the attachments to our First-class sides are much deeper amongst more fans than in places like India and even Australia (in their histories, have the Ranji Trophy and the Sheffield Shield EVER attracted large crowds?).

Also, maybe I just love watching the pros play as certainly, every T20 match I've watched over the last few years has been great entertainment other than too many blokes getting drunk and chucking beer around, twice on me!!! >:(:D

So I've never seen the need to change it but only better formatting (and the 2 leagues may well achieve this) and also more aggressive promotion.

Looks like playing the early rounds of the One-Day Cup in April and May is like going back to the old days of the B & H Cup - Not sure about that.

Whatever they decide, I just wish they'd stick to the strategy they have chosen, unlike with the County Championship where over the last 2 years, in the early part of the season, matches started on a Sunday but by the end, as before, they were starting on seemingly random days in the week.

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/cricket/cricket-editorial/crickets-confusing-parallel-universe-how-fixture-scheduling-and-media-coverage-are-shaping-our-domestic-county-game-in-the-current-sporting-marketplace/

For anyone interested, my latest blog brief guide post on the Flagstaff Cricket Annual which provided a lovely snapshot of cricket in the 50's and 60's;

http://www.goalsandwickets.co.uk/cricket/cricket-annuals/from-len-to-ray-a-brief-guide-to-the-flagstaff-cricket-annual/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's now all been confirmed but it still looks a bit of a dog's breakfast; glad to see the Final 50-0vers back in the middle of summer which should give the competition more gravitas, but a lot of the 50's could be played in cold spring weather = low crowds. 7/10

A later 20/20 is great for the kids in the holidays but grounds without floodlights could end up starting midweek games 5pm or earlier, thus difficult for the workers. 8/10

Disappointed that both divisions will only play 14 CC games, surely the second div could be 3-day and fit more in? 5/10

Looks like a lot of the CC will be played in June and July, which is ace. 10/10

Overall, think we have too many competitions in too short a time. 20/20 should be 3 leagues of 10 games not 2 of 16; but counties want the income. But at least it's an effort and we are spared the first round of CC games being played in March in the Algarve, La Manga, Abu Dhabi and, worst of all, Derby :o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This slipped past me

The traditional opening game between the Champions and the MCC started yesterday in Abu Dhabi

Garry Balance hit a 100 in Yorkshire's total of 275

MCC are 282/6 in reply

Still think this should be at Lords no matter how cold it is !!!
  • Options
    mimik1ukmimik1uk Posts: 46,701
    Forum Member
    This slipped past me

The traditional opening game between the Champions and the MCC started yesterday in Abu Dhabi

Garry Balance hit a 100 in Yorkshire's total of 275

MCC are 282/6 in reply

Still think this should be at Lords no matter how cold it is !!!

dont think i'd want to be fielding in the slips at Lords in March :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimik1uk wrote: »
    dont think i'd want to be fielding in the slips at Lords in March :p

Nice little hand warmers to keep you warm:)

I know it's freezing but I like tradition

I went to one of these (late 80's / early 90's - I'm not sure) when Warwickshire played the MCC (I think) as a guest of some corporate business
    I say I think as I remember Tim Munton bowling and I can't remember if he was playing for Warwicks or MCC !

Rained most of the day but , luckily, the bar was inside

Spent most of the day chatting with members and some excellent stories:)
  • Options
    footygirlfootygirl Posts: 35,212
    Forum Member
    Don't rule Durham out of winning the County Championship
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Northampton CC in all sorts of financial again days after assuring their members they were fine. They are now trying to find new owners

Never seems to be a happy ending when property developers are mentioned in the same breath as survival

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/989197.html
  • Options
    SupersoulSupersoul Posts: 770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Northampton CC in all sorts of financial again days after assuring their members they were fine. They are now trying to find new owners

Never seems to be a happy ending when property developers are mentioned in the same breath as survival

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/989197.html

Seems odd to be proposing a move given the amount of work done on the ground. Having said that, I do wonder about the calibre of people managing the club.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    footygirl wrote: »
    Don't rule Durham out of winning the County Championship

You can certainly rule my lot out!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Good news for ..in more ways than one...;-):)

Surrey have strengthened their bowling attack ahead of the new season by signing the West Indian pace bowler Ravi Rampaul on a two-year deal.

Rampaul, 31, who has played 18 Tests, 92 ODIs and 23 T20Is, will ease Surrey's worries about the strength of their pace resources on their return to Division One after an injury to Jade Dernbach exposed a squad that has lost Chris Tremlett and Tim Linley from last season.

Surrey have, though, pulled off one of the most high-profile signings of the clsoe season by tempting Mark Footitt, the leading wicket-taker in Division Two last season, from Derbyshire.

Surrey have benefited from London weighting this season on the ECB salary cap and have used this to pull off a series of overseas raids.

Rampaul is Surrey's third overseas signing this month after the securing of the South African pacemen Conor McKerr and Mathew Pillans, by virtue of British ancestry, stoked fears in South Africa about a drain of talent into county cricket. Rampaul will qualify to represent Surrey as a Kolpak player.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/989201.html
  • Options
    dtcdtcdtcdtcdtcdtc Posts: 16,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Geoff Boycott's attempt to rejoin Yorkshire's board has failed after his candidacy was rejected by 758 votes to 602 by Yorkshire members at the annual general meeting on Saturday.

John Hampshire, a former team-mate of Boycott, who left the club in the 1980s railing against constant in-fighting, has been named as the club's new president in succession to the former player and umpire Dickie Bird.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/991093.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some sad news that David Green has died (one for the older posters on here)

I was only young but I do remember the furore that he caused when he called the chairman a prat and left to join Gloucester

Also, the only player to score 2000 runs in a season without scoring a century

He was also one of the 5 Wisden Cricketers of the year in 1969

He would have been very well suited to T20, that's for sure

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/985917.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just looking at Old Trafford this morning, it's cold, grey, wet and miserable and the covers are on, and there's a huge gap where the hotel used to be.

Looks like I'll be cutting and pasting that sentence many times this summer.... :-(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Our quicker bowlers are falling like ninepins and the season hasn't even started yet:(

Stuart Meaker, the Surrey fast bowler, has suffered a freak groin injury that looks likely to keep him out of action for the first few weeks of the season.

Meaker was hurt while batting in the nets on Easter Monday when he inside edged a delivery on to his groin. He subsequently underwent a minor operation.:o

http://www.espncricinfo.com/county-cricket-2016/content/story/992495.html
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As mentioned in the broadcasting thread, we're off! 5 county v Uni games today. Very, very optimistic putting games on on Mar 31, but looks like fair weather all over. They are even practicing in the nets on the Old Trafford square right now. And the hotel's been reduced to rubble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ins and Outs for the new season

Lots of these passed me by:o

Surrey look to have the best acquisitions

We've swapped one old Springbok for another......

Derbyshire

IN: Andy Carter (Nottinghamshire), Tom Milnes (Warwickshire), Neil Broom (UK passport)
    OUT: Mark Footitt (Surrey), Wayne White (Leicestershire), Jonathan Clare (released)
    OVERSEAS: Hamish Rutherford, James Neesham (T20)

Durham

IN: None
    OUT: None
    OVERSEAS: John Hastings

Essex

IN: Matthew Quinn (UK passport), Aaron Beard (academy), Ashar Zaidi (Sussex), Matt Dixon (UK passport)
    OUT: Reece Topley (Hampshire), Mark Pettini (Leicestershire), Monty Panesar, Greg Smith, Matt Salisbury, Saf Imtiaz (all released)
    OVERSEAS: Jesse Ryder, Adam Milne (T20), Wahab Riaz (T20)

Glamorgan

IN: Craig Meschede (Somerset), Nick Selman, Timm van der Gugten (Dutch passport), Harry Podmore (Middlesex - loan)
    OUT: Ben Wright (retired)
    OVERSEAS: Jacques Rudolph, Shaun Tait (T20)

Gloucestershire

IN: Chris Liddle (Sussex), Josh Shaw (Yorkshire - loan)
    OUT: James Fuller (Middlesex), Geraint Jones (retired), Cameron Herring, Robbie Montgomery (both released)
    OVERSEAS: Michael Klinger, Andrew Tye, Cameron Bancroft (April-May)

Hampshire

IN: Reece Topley (Essex)
    OUT: Danny Briggs (Sussex), Basil Akram, Tom Barber, Joe Gatting (all released). Sean Terry (mutual agreement). Yasir Arafat (Somerset, loan).
    OVERSEAS: Ryan McLaren and Shahid Afridi (T20).

Kent.
    .IN: Adam Rouse
    OUT: Brendan Nash (released), Ben Harmison (released)
    OVERSEAS: Tom Latham, Kagiso Rabada (July)

Lancashire

IN: Alviro Petersen
    OUT: Ashwell Prince (retired), Paul Horton (Leicestershire)
    OVERSEAS: Neil Wagner

Leicestershire

IN: Paul Horton (Lancashire), Neil Dexter (Middlesex), Wayne White (Derbyshire), Kevin O'Brien (limited-overs), Mark Pettini (Essex)
    OUT: Matthew Boyce (retired), Andrea Agathangelou, Dan Redfern, Alex Wyatt, Neil Pinner (all released)
    OVERSEAS: Clint McKay, Umar Akmal (T20), Rilee Rossouw (T20)

Middlesex

IN: James Fuller (Gloucestershire)
    OUT: Neil Dexter (Leicestershire), Gurjit Sandhu (released), Harry Podmore (Glamorgan - loan)
    OVERSEAS: Adam Voges, Brendon McCullum (T20), Mitchell McClenaghan (T20)

Northamptonshire

IN: Richard Levi (Kolpak), Ben Sanderson.
    OUT: David Willey (Yorkshire), Stephen Peters (retired), Kyle Coetzer, Maurice Chambers (both released)
    OVERSEAS: Rory Kleinveldt, Seekkuge Prasanna

Nottinghamshire

OUT: Andy Carter (Derbyshire), Gary Keedy, Paul Franks (both retired)
    OVERSEAS: Jackson Bird, Dan Christian (limited-overs)

Somerset

IN: Ryan Davies (Kent), Roelof van der Merwe (Dutch passport), Yasir Arafat (Hampshire, loan)
    OUT: Craig Meschede (Glamorgan), Alfonso Thomas, Adam Dibble, George Dockrell, James Regan (all released)
    OVERSEAS: Chris Rogers, Chris Gayle (T20), Mahela Jayawardene (T20).

Surrey.

.IN: Mark Footitt (Derbyshire), Ravi Rampaul (Kolpak), Mathew Pillans (ancestral visa), Conor McKerr (UK passport)
    OUT: Kevin Pietersen (released), Vikram Solanki, Tim Linley, Chris Tremlett (all retired)
    OVERSEAS: Kumar Sangakkara, Dwayne Bravo (T20), Chris Morris (T20), Aaron Finch (July-August)

Sussex

IN: Danny Briggs (Hampshire)
    OUT: Michael Yardy, Steffan Piolet (both retired), Chris Liddle (Gloucestershire), Ashar Zaidi (Essex), Callum Jackson (released), Matt Hobden (deceased)
    OVERSEAS: Ross Taylor, Mustafizur Rahman (limited-overs)

Warwickshire

IN: Alex Mellor
    OUT: Tom Milnes (Derbyshire), Tom Lewis, Pete McKay (both released)
    OVERSEAS: Jeetan Patel

Worcestershire

OUT: Gareth Andrew (released), Alex Gidman (retired), Richard Oliver, Shaaiq Choudhry (released)
    OVERSEAS: Matt Henry (Apr-June), Kyle Abbott (Jul-Sep), Mitchell Santner (T20)

Yorkshire

IN: David Willey (Northamptonshire)
    OUT: Josh Shaw (Gloucestershire - loan), Rich Pyrah (retired), Moin Ashraf, Dan Hodgson, Jonny Tattersall (all released)
    OVERSEAS: Kane Williamson (June-July), Travis Head (July onwards)

http://www.espncricinfo.com/england/content/story/923201.html