Options

Why does BBC weather block out North West England?

2»

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As I live in the south of England I am not interested in the weather in Manchester (I just assume it's always raining there). I get my own local forecast by looking out the window.The BBC could certainly save a lot of money by getting rid of this army of forecasters and pretentious graphics. Does every regional TV station need its own forecaster (OK, I know a few share forecasters), it really is a n absurd waste of money.
  • Options
    Martin PhillpMartin Phillp Posts: 34,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    As I live in the south of England I am not interested in the weather in Manchester (I just assume it's always raining there). I get my own local forecast by looking out the window.The BBC could certainly save a lot of money by getting rid of this army of forecasters and pretentious graphics. Does every regional TV station need its own forecaster (OK, I know a few share forecasters), it really is a n absurd waste of money.

In London at least, the weather presenter also has to present a travel bulletin in addition to a forecast during Breakfast, so it's not like they're just standing there pointing at a map.

I prefer that to having what we used to have in the old days which was a static caption read by a newsreader.
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    Does every regional TV station need its own forecaster (OK, I know a few share forecasters), it really is a n absurd waste of money.

Using weather presenters from other regions has had mixed outcomes in the North West:

With BBC North West Kaye Forster worked well doing North West forecasts but Elizabeth Austen, Lara Lewington and Sara Thornton have failed miserably at their attempts to do North West forecasts.

With ITV Granada Jon Mitchell and Kerrie Gosney worked well doing North West forecasts. However, Emma Jesson hasn't worked that well while I don't mind Lucy Kite as a person but on the rare occasion she's done a Granada forecast her forecasts have been half the length and detail of the usual Granada forecasts and even been done from the Central garden, which is obvious to everyone watching.

If the BBC North West weekend forecast is anything to go by then the weekend weather presenter is only there a couple of hours on a weekend day. The first forecast of the day is live but any later ones are pre-recorded.

[quote I get my own local forecast by looking out the window.[/quote]
    Unless you live at the top of the mountain that doesn't tell you what it's likely to do later.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    I love how people from Manchester think they are in the north
  • Options
    epm-84epm-84 Posts: 3,035
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    connormill wrote: »
    I love how people from Manchester think they are in the north

The government classes Manchester as being in North West England. The division for the North and Midlands is further south in the West than the East because the Scottish border comes further South in the West.
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    The government classes Manchester as being in North West England. The division for the North and Midlands is further south in the West than the East because the Scottish border comes further South in the West.

I know people who live in Newcastle and they talk about living ''in the north''