Options

The Island Bear Grylls

Comments

• Options
    davzerdavzer Posts: 2,501
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As we're off down this road (an interesting one IMO) how would you dry cure/smoke it over the fire.
    Once you've done that where would you store it long term?
    I'm thinking of Mummy or Daddy pig or another big Croc.

Has there been any mention of the women's fishing equipment or fishing since the intro?

Did they not abandon the fishing kit at camp one when the group that were left behind went off in search of the group that went walkabout?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's interesting that both islands seem to have followed stereotypical gender traits - the women seem to have bonded emotionally as a close-knit group but are completely lacking in organisation, while the men seem to have organised themselves well but are competing with each for alpha status.

Together they'd probably soften each other traits, but then that's probably why humans have always lived in mixed gender tribes (which would be good to see in the next series).

What would be nice to see is people not acting to their gender stereotypes where the men are chest banging, un-caring, knuckle draggers and the women emotional cry babies.

Why can't men bond and express emotions without feeling that they have to live up to their 'manly' type and why can't we have women who get on with the job and be even better than the men at it?
  • Options
    Old EndeavourOld Endeavour Posts: 9,852
    Forum Member
    I have a burning question about the Men Island, Would it have been possible to use the salt water to preserve the fresh croc meat a bit longer???

Yes but that is along term thing longer than the length of the programme.

Simply evaporate sea water with the sun or fire and you will be left with salt. Do that with large amounts of water and you will have lots of salt. Rub that in and pack it around said meat and it will keep longer. You then have dry very salty meat.

Sailors did it for hundreds of years by packing meat in barrels of salt.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    davzer wrote: »
    Did they not abandon the fishing kit at camp one when the group that were left behind went off in search of the group that went walkabout?

I don't remember that happening and the kit seems to consist of some fishing line and a few hooks 3 or 4, the men are down to their last hook IIRC.
    Can't see them leaving that on purpose.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Aneechik wrote: »
    It's interesting that both islands seem to have followed stereotypical gender traits - the women seem to have bonded emotionally as a close-knit group but are completely lacking in organisation, while the men seem to have organised themselves well but are competing with each for alpha status.

Together they'd probably soften each other traits, but then that's probably why humans have always lived in mixed gender tribes (which would be good to see in the next series).

You must be watching a different program to me then.
    There was talk about Alan's emotional and physical state before he left, one of them decided to concentrate on him and keeping him on the Island.
    Other's have mentioned up days and down days and trying to buck each other up.
    There was one thing about Kyle this week, on a go slow.
    Paul was the one who got all emotional and ar$ey because someone in the group didn't like him.
    Vic's loud, energetic and a bit brash, but nobody seems to be competing and he's not coming over as the leader.

Getting lost or making the wrong decision, isn't the same thing as lacking organisation IMO.
    When they had to move camp, they got on with it, when they eventually decided to kill the pig, they sat down and got on with it.
  • Options
    starrystarry Posts: 12,434
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So they drank that unboiled water and had no ill effects from it? I was surprised they didn't get lost again when they went away from the beach, how did they successfully do it this time but didn't before? Also for their fire making equipment to wear out they must have kept letting the fire extinguish instead of protecting it.
  • Options
    FrankieFixerFrankieFixer Posts: 11,530
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You must be watching a different program to me then.
    There was talk about Alan's emotional and physical state before he left, one of them decided to concentrate on him and keeping him on the Island.
    Other's have mentioned up days and down days and trying to buck each other up.
    There was one thing about Kyle this week, on a go slow.
    Paul was the one who got all emotional and ar$ey because someone in the group didn't like him.
    Vic's loud, energetic and a bit brash, but nobody seems to be competing and he's not coming over as the leader.

Getting lost or making the wrong decision, isn't the same thing as lacking organisation IMO.
    When they had to move camp, they got on with it, when they eventually decided to kill the pig, they sat down and got on with it.

The women couldn't even get the fire going. They'd be long dead without intervention.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FFS if I was starving those pigs would have been slaughtered as soon as I saw them!

Well they obviously weren't starving enough for the time up to the kill whatever the Grylls commentary said. The commentary always exaggerates the situation for drama. And the scalding on the face, well it was nowhere near the face of course.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why don't they drink sea water?

I assume it takes much longer to distill and purify than the rain water or natural spring water.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    starry wrote: »
    So they drank that unboiled water and had no ill effects from it? I was surprised they didn't get lost again when they went away from the beach, how did they successfully do it this time but didn't before? Also for their fire making equipment to wear out they must have kept letting the fire extinguish instead of protecting it.

It was moving water though, probably less likely to attract insects and whatever their carrying than standing water?
    I think them finding the beach was nothing more than luck, Lauren's sense of direction.
    IIRC she was in the group that didn't move wasn't she.
    Possibly because she knew where they'd started/landed she just stuck to keeping as close to the beach as she could with the water on her right.
    Circumnavigate the Island, rather than going too far inland and getting lost.
    They also mentioned something about following the ridge they were on, maybe she or others had encountered it before when getting lost.

I'm guessing both the Women and Men have some clue that there was beach on the other side of the Island from where they landed, rather than mangrove or rocks.
    Both groups struck out straight from where they landed going over to the other side of the Island, rather than following the coastline.

As for wearing down the fire kit, that could be down to poor technique/misuse.
    Tom Rosenthal in Bear's other program was hacking away with a knife and a bit of flint for 2 hours trying to light a fire, Lawrence Fox bowled up and lit it in minutes using the same kit.
    Ray Mears Fire bow drill about 5 minutes and highlights how important technique is to making it work in short order.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The last point might be right about misuse, though it's speculation.

They could have just followed the coastline around like some of them did in a previous episode. The fact that they sent a group ahead, not too far this time thankfully, suggested they weren't completely sure.

The running water may have been better than stagnant, even so it's still running over stuff above ground. It was funny that they could just drink that lemonade, I suppose if it hadn't been in the ocean for that long it may have been ok. Even that is a risk to an extent though. They may get advice on these things anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    The water, they just played their luck, as Dr whatsherface poo poohed the idea straight off.
    I didn't pay enough attention to the drink incident, I can only guess the anti tamper bit was intact before they opened it.
    Personally I wouldn't have gone near it otherwise, even then I don't think I'd have been queuing up to get my nose in that trough.
    I suppose after 2 weeks of that place, simply just opening it and smelling it would be enough to make them a bit giddy.
  • Options
    Alex_B1Alex_B1 Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    I didn't pay enough attention to the drink incident, I can only guess the anti tamper bit was intact before they opened it.

The bottle didn't look full, so someone must have opened the bottle, drank a bit of it, and then dropped the bottle into the ocean (or it got washed away somehow).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Alex_B1 wrote: »
    The bottle didn't look full, so someone must have opened the bottle, drank a bit of it, and then dropped the bottle into the ocean (or it got washed away somehow).

All I can say to that is, Nay, nay thrice nay.
    Backwash, being the key here, that bottle must be a pretty good place to grow bacteria.
  • Options
    CythnaCythna Posts: 3,102
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davzer wrote: »
    Women require less calories than men so easier for them to survive on low rations.

As for veg on the island, in prog 1 the girls found some Yuca which they ate.

The women would be dead if it weren't for the producers giving them another fire making kit.

As for the women transporting fire, not a daft idea at all. Plenty tribes use material that smoulders for a long time for that very puropse.

True. However they normally would use a clay pot to carry it in, or perhaps metal. You could hear the women saying they could have the fire if they'd had a metal container. It seems to me that they were actually better than the men at making fire, it's just that they keep moving camp, and their equipment got worn out. The men have never made fire using friction yet.
  • Options
    EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    The first series was much better.
  • Options
    JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,207
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot remember names so sorry for how I describe people.

The Scottish girl was a bit selfish with the sugary drink I thought.

The Liverpool woman just seems to criticise and do nothing.

Lauren is expressly difficult to relate to.

I wish the Series had been properly split in two.
  • Options
    CosyaCosya Posts: 4,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bunch of ****** killing those pigs. Wish they hadn't followed them or was it bear picking them up and throwing them onto the new beach!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    I cannot remember names so sorry for how I describe people.

The Scottish girl was a bit selfish with the sugary drink I thought.

The Liverpool woman just seems to criticise and do nothing.

Lauren is expressly difficult to relate to.

I wish the Series had been properly split in two.

Liverpool/Betting shop woman, same woman who was hacking away for however long getting the Almonds.
    Apart from anything else we've got X number of women, 16 hours a day, 7 days a week, into 45 minutes.
    Swathes of it isn't making the edit, and it's subject to whatever narrative they want to tell us, see last year, far too much about personalities.
    Whole second camp with tables, chairs, art, beds we didn't see.
  • Options
    HeatherbellHeatherbell Posts: 9,940
    Forum Member
    I didn't see the other series. This is my first one , so I must say the posts here about the past series have dampened my enthusiasm a bit . :cry:
    Oh well , I'll just live in the moment and judge on this series .
    I really like Lauren, very Lara Croft unflappable . Even when complaining she doesn't sound as whiny as others on there . Loved her leading them to the new camp and while dispatching Sage & Onion was sad I admire her no nonsense approach to the matter .
    I like Vic on the men's island, but I suspect that might wear off . He is one of those fortunate humans who retains energy while those around him wilt .
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forgive me if im missing the obvious as I havent read the whole thread but are they alone on the island ? The reason I ask is that of all the routes they could have taken they happen to stumble across the 2 little pigs (and apparently the mother pig, although it was'nt shown). It was as if they had been placed in their path for them.

Also, firstly, I doubt piglets would ever leave their mum so what happened to the mum. ? Secondly, of all the directions the pigs could gave gone in, by some miracle they walk right up to the girls camp. Again, as if placed there. It just doesnt ring true.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I consider Lauren a bit of a 'ringer' as she's got some experience of extreme situations with her Rowing challenge.
    Then again, I can't fault Bear and his team allowing her in, as it must be reassuring to have one or two people in there who have proven experience in extreme situations.
    Capable on her own doesn't mean she'd be a good team player either.

Vick would drive me garrity with his endless energy and positivity, still I can't really fault the fella, even though he's not my flavour.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Forgive me if im missing the obvious as I havent read the whole thread but are they alone on the island ? The reason I ask is that of all the routes they could have taken they happen to stumble across the 2 little pigs (and apparently the mother pig, although it was'nt shown). It was as if they had been placed in their path for them.

Also, firstly, I doubt piglets would ever leave their mum so what happened to the mum. ? Secondly, of all the directions the pigs could gave gone in, by some miracle they walk right up to the girls camp. Again, as if placed there. It just doesnt ring true.

Where do the Pigs usually reside on the Island, that makes it unlikely that the group would stumble across them?
    The Explorer group wandered around taking in Coconut beach 3 times before finding the Pigs.
    Pigs well known for their sense of smell, it's why they use them for truffling, also known for being intelligent and curious, the Pigs just followed the scent.
    My Gran's Pig used to make regular break-outs and piss off across the drainage fields, could always be found in the evening next door at my Great Uncles place though.

I'll leave it there.
  • Options
    pete137pete137 Posts: 18,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Where do the Pigs usually reside on the Island, that makes it unlikely that the group would stumble across them?
    The Explorer group wandered around taking in Coconut beach 3 times before finding the Pigs.
    Pigs well known for their sense of smell, it's why they use them for truffling, also known for being intelligent and curious, the Pigs just followed the scent.
    My Gran's Pig used to make regular break-outs and piss off across the drainage fields, could always be found in the evening next door at my Great Uncles place though.

I'll leave it there.

Bit of a coincidence that the pigs came running to them just as they were on the point of starvation. Also doesnt explain why the piglets left their mum to follow humans ? That would'nt happen. The mum would be with them too. Why didnt the group even mention looking for the big pig which would feed them many more times then the piglets.

I'll leave it there
  • Options
    Forum Member
    pete137 wrote: »
    Bit of a coincidence that the pigs came running to them just as they were on the point of starvation. Also doesnt explain why the piglets left their mum to follow humans ? That would'nt happen. The mum would be with them too. Why didnt the group even mention looking for the big pig which would feed them many more times then the piglets.

I'll leave it there

Ah so you can't answer the questions, based on the 'plot holes' you've pointed out.
    OK it's all a big fix, because you 'think' it is.