o2 not providing what they offered, options?

mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
Forum Member
I signed up for a 12 month sim plan, data sim, 4g.. 20gb

the speeds are atrocious, barely 3g.. so I went on live chat ( for 2 hours ) and they said I would have to pay a cancellation charge to end it early, but im not being provided what I signed up for.. why should I have to pay them? surely it works both ways?

anyone have any options?

Comments

• GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm sure most phone contracts have a clause in them that they can't guarantee mobile
    Phone signal/speed and while they will let you cancel the contract in this case you may need to pay a fee.

In other words, read your contract terms.

Edit - you usually get a cooling off period, again which will be in your contract. How long ago did you take the contract out?
  • itsy bitsyitsy bitsy Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    O2
    arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgh

Sorry, no advice to give OP but you have my complete and utter sympathy. My hubby has just spent ages on chat line to them this evening -totally useless!

Our daughter bought a brand new phone 'Pay as you Go' today as her old phone won't charge- she was told the new one was topped up with £10 and ready 'to go'. But whilst journeying back on a train to where she works this eve she tried to top it up with her debit card and couldn't. So she texted us and we tried to top it up for her with two different bank cards and they didn't work either. So we tried to find out why online and they wanted all sorts of info that was totally unnecessary as far as we were concerned but required by them. We eventually passed their security check only for them to say there was a problem and would sort it within 7 days!

But our daughter needs to be able to use the phone now and as she works for the health service and has 3 twelve hour shifts coming up in the next three days starting tomorrow morning she has neither the time or the energy to sort this out herself. So now hubby and I have got to go back to the shop tomorrow to try and do it on her behalf! Not amused. >:(

The trouble we have found OP is that the folk in such shops in our experience are very good at selling without necessarily telling you all their terms and conds and it's virtually impossible in the shop to stand reading them. Rant over !
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlc2009 wrote: »

the speeds are atrocious, barely 3g.. so I went on live chat ( for 2 hours ) and they said I would have to pay a cancellation charge to end it early, but im not being provided what I signed up for.. why should I have to pay them? surely it works both ways?

anyone have any options?

O2 do not guarantee that you will be able to get 4g or even 3g wherever you are. In fact they provide a coverage map that you are able to check before taking out a contract.

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

So they are not in breach of the T&Cs of the contract. It was your responsibility to check the service you'd receive when you took it out.
  • mlc2009mlc2009 Posts: 281
    Forum Member
    O2 do not guarantee that you will be able to get 4g or even 3g wherever you are. In fact they provide a coverage map that you are able to check before taking out a contract.

http://www.o2.co.uk/coveragechecker

So they are not in breach of the T&Cs of the contract. It was your responsibility to check the service you'd receive when you took it out.

the coverage checker shows perfect signal, my phone shows perfect signal, the download speeds begs to differ
  • evil cevil c Posts: 7,833
    Forum Member
    Hi,

Try using this app: http://www.o2.co.uk/apps/my-network.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    There will be something in those pages of small print on the contract that you didn't read that will exonerate them from any crappy service levels.
  • Cracker_CakeCracker_Cake Posts: 1,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a pay rise coming up anytime soon, you can sometimes use those to get out of contracts.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    Is there a pay rise coming up anytime soon, you can sometimes use those to get out of contracts.

That'll be in the small print too that you can't.

They've covered all eventualities of contract price increase now so nearly everyone will be tied into a 12 or 24 month contract now with the T&Cs amended that the price increase no longer counts for leaving the contract.
  • Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they bent me over yesterday. They'd cold called me and I had unknowingly gone along with what they were saying, it was only when they started asking me for all my card details that I thought it was a bit fishy, so I finished the call anyway and then immediately cancelled my card and ordered a new one. New year comes around and they have sent me a bill for £23.50 for a sim card that has never even arrived at my house, let alone been used. So I phoned them up, refusing to pay that and then they threw the fact that I had to pay the rest of the contract which was £120. Anyway, I ended up getting off with paying the full contract and only have to pay the £23.50, which I'm still pissed off about.
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they bent me over yesterday. They'd cold called me and I had unknowingly gone along with what they were saying, it was only when they started asking me for all my card details that I thought it was a bit fishy, so I finished the call anyway and then immediately cancelled my card and ordered a new one. New year comes around and they have sent me a bill for £23.50 for a sim card that has never even arrived at my house, let alone been used. So I phoned them up, refusing to pay that and then they threw the fact that I had to pay the rest of the contract which was £120. Anyway, I ended up getting off with paying the full contract and only have to pay the £23.50, which I'm still pissed off about.

I'm staggered.

1. You gave your card details out on a cold call when you didn't want to purchase anything?? Are you serious?

2. You cancelled your card? Why?

3. Why didn't you either a) end the call without handing over your card details or b) call them back to cancel within your cooling off period?

4. You agreed to pay for 1 month despite a SIM not arriving? Why?
  • RoushRoush Posts: 4,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

anyone have any options?

How long ago was this? You get 14 days to change your mind and cancel the contract.
  • mred2000mred2000 Posts: 10,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

They didn't really need to bend you over, you seem to have been already waiting for them in the assumed position :D
  • Aetius_MaralasAetius_Maralas Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mred2000 wrote: »
    They didn't really need to bend you over, you seem to have been already waiting for them in the assumed position :D

You normally need to pay more than £23.50 to get shafted like that.

Or so I'm told...
  • SXTonySXTony Posts: 2,925
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

anyone have any options?

I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure your sim card is 4g compatible?

I only ask because, way back when 3g was new and shiny, I got an iPhone and the 3g indicator would only stay up for brief seconds. I thought it was my signal, but then discovered people sitting near me getting full 3g on the same network/phone.

I spoke to o2 and it turned out I was still using an old sim that wasn't 3g compatible. The 3g thing appearing briefly made me think I was able to actually get a 3g signal.
  • Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    O2 only have 800Mhz 4G, which is good for coverage but doesn't do congestion of loads of people on the network. So it's ok if you are in a small town (like myself), but the bigger towns you go to, the more the congested the network will become.