Options

Diazepam for sleep?

2»

Comments

• Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    zelana wrote: »
    I've no idea if light therapy is effective with bipolar but if it does work it's more than worth the price. If it doesn't then you can get your money back within 45 days.

At one time I wouldn't have believed light therapy could work. Now I know it can. My daughter has M.E and used to have a crazy sleep pattern which we eventually worked out was a 25 hour cycle. Three years ago she was given a Lumie Bodyclock by a friend who had won it in a competition. The light has stabilised her sleep pattern which has led to an improvement in her overall health to the extent that from being virtually housebound she has recently qualified as a TA and is looking for a part time job.

i think i`m going to get one when i`ve got my new mattress.

the importance of sleep in maintaining good mental and bodily health is vastly underestimated, i believe that a lot of depression could be hugely helped without meds if it was approached as a key aspect [because it is] rather than a side symptom.
  • Options
    Early BirdEarly Bird Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I was given diazepam when I had a really painful bout of sciatica - when I came off it I nearly had a nervous breakdown, the come down is awful. Won't be taking it again.
    really bizarre - I was prescribed diazepam when I slipped my lower disc..... I never had any issues with after effects.
    i guess it affects people in varying ways...... mine was prescribed as a muscle relaxant for the slipped disc (which allowed my to get some sleep)
  • Options
    John_Adam1John_Adam1 Posts: 1,755
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Diazepam is extremely effective when used occasionally for calming you down in a panic-attack, but it would be totally unsuitable for use in getting to sleep every night IMO. Best to discuss other options with your GP. Good luck.
  • Options
    Ben_CoplandBen_Copland Posts: 4,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thankfully, it is starting to ease off now, only waking once in the night and it's always at the same time, 2:00am. Takes me an hour~ to get back to sleep after that, tossing and turning but I wonder if my heating is on a timer which is changing the temperature, I will have to investigate. I didn't resort to the Diazepams, thanks to the first hand experiences shared here, I've an extremely addictive personality and it worried me a little bit. Thank you :)
  • Options
    EnnerjeeEnnerjee Posts: 5,131
    Forum Member
    Thankfully, it is starting to ease off now, only waking once in the night and it's always at the same time, 2:00am. Takes me an hour~ to get back to sleep after that, tossing and turning but I wonder if my heating is on a timer which is changing the temperature, I will have to investigate. I didn't resort to the Diazepams, thanks to the first hand experiences shared here, I've an extremely addictive personality and it worried me a little bit. Thank you :)

I use Melatonin occasionally. It is the natural neurohormone in the brain that causes you to feel tired and allows you to enter deep sleep, which diminishes as we get older. It's also a powerful antioxidant.

Melatonin is not available in the UK, but you can buy it online from Italy and the USA, where it is licensed. I only take a 1 mg capsule, but it available in 2, 3, 4 and 5 mg, however, I never take too much of anything.

Here's some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

and here: https://sleep.org/articles/melatonin/
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    I've had the problem for the past 5 years or more. Still use Kalms and Nitol etc - but they are of little help for me. My usual routine is to drop off from around midnight to 1 am to lightly snooze, then wake around 4 pm. Its doubtful there is any definite cure. Whatever pill potion or exercise that may work for one doesn't seem to work for another.
  • Options
    MR_PitkinMR_Pitkin Posts: 30,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dirtyhippy wrote: »
    I was given diazepam when I had a really painful bout of sciatica - when I came off it I nearly had a nervous breakdown, the come down is awful. Won't be taking it again.

I was given tramadol as well, took them once never again. Felt like I was in a hallucinogenic trance.:eek:
  • Options
    cessnacessna Posts: 6,747
    Forum Member
    cessna wrote: »
    I've had the problem for the past 5 years or more. Still use Kalms and Nitol etc - but they are of little help for me. My usual routine is to drop off from around midnight to 1 am to lightly snooze, then wake around 4 pm. Its doubtful there is any definite cure. Whatever pill potion or exercise that may work for one doesn't seem to work for another.

should how shown - wake 4 am
  • Options
    zelanazelana Posts: 4,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ennerjee wrote: »
    I use Melatonin occasionally. It is the natural neurohormone in the brain that causes you to feel tired and allows you to enter deep sleep, which diminishes as we get older. It's also a powerful antioxidant.

Melatonin is not available in the UK, but you can buy it online from Italy and the USA, where it is licensed. I only take a 1 mg capsule, but it available in 2, 3, 4 and 5 mg, however, I never take too much of anything.

Here's some info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

and here: https://sleep.org/articles/melatonin/

Try Light Therapy to stimulate your own production of Melatonin.