Help with Nokia 6500 on three

satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have just purchased a Nokia 6500 and connected to the 300 plan on the three network, i have problems in connecting to the 3g services, for example when i go to Tv and select pay 48p for tv for 24 hours it says, you are out of video covearge? and when i goto my three it dosnt load up properly, i know im not out of coverage because i work near a hospital with a cell on top of it (checked on the web), i have spoken to three and they are as useful as a needle in a condom factory saying that the network is working in the ipswich area.

Help?
:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the phone actually in 3g service though? Does the network indicator show 3G, or just normal network coverage ... that would certainly explain why the tv would not work.
  • satman17satman17 Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    there is a G in the top left corner?????
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the G just means GPRS, can't remember if S40 includes a 3G symbol.

Can you perform video calls, this would ensure that you are receiving 3G services.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I have the same phone. It should say 3G in the very top left corner to the left of the signal bars.

If it doesn't, then you are only on 2G coverage.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nope it dosnt say 3g in top left corner, i have tryed vid calls but says no umts service? so am i just outside the video calling area? i live in ipswich and the coverage map on the three site says its covered?
    Forum Member
    The only thing I can suggest is to travel elsehwere in the town and see if you get 3G signal. If you don't then you probably have a faulty phone
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If your trying it whilst inside then try doing it in the open air (when visiting my parents they get zero coverage inside but simply standing in the garden gives a couple of 3G bars).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tryed standing outside, turned my phone off then on but no 3g, i just wondered if i should be doing something with the settings on my phone?
    Forum Member
    satman17 wrote: »
    tryed standing outside, turned my phone off then on but no 3g, i just wondered if i should be doing something with the settings on my phone?

Your phone has two settings. One to log onto a 3G only network, and the other to log onto 3G as priority but it will connect to 2G if there is no 3G signal available.

Go to Menu > Settings > Phone > Network Mode

This should be set to 'Dual Mode' as standard. This means that if 3G is not available in the area, the phone will log onto 2G (I think Three's 2G provider is Orange although I could be wrong).

Go into the network mode and choose UTMS. If you end up with no signal at all, the phone is not picking up 3G and you need to contact three.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Got on the phone this morning to Three and the guy said a mast was down in ipswich, i asked hime for the location number and went on the web, and yes its the one close to me. i then spoke to the local three shop and asked them to confirm what the other guy said and he said yes its down and would take a couple of days to fix.
    Forum Member
    OK so you should be able to use it properly soon :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 136
    Forum Member
    I have a Nokia 6500 Slide on Three. In my opinion this is the best phone i have ever had, and i have had many of the top-of-the-range phones.

There is a known problem with the 6500 Slide & Classic

Doing a simple search shows this

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&q=nokia+6500+signal+problem&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Three & Nokia have stated this is a known problem with the 6500 Slide & Classic, but there is no fix for it yet, though it will be sorted in the next firmware update, so make sure you keep up-to-date on software upgrades.