it's great :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,735
    Forum Member
    it has 8.2/10 on imdb

mmmm might watch it myself:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant film. Sean Penn is amazing and i also rate James Franco! (I've always thought he was a wooden actor until this)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Saw it, what a film. Absolutely amazing.

What with this and Slumdog Millionaire (I don't care how "hyped" it is, I felt no hype, saw it and loved it), cinema this season is pretty great.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    quite good,i wouldn't put it at 8 out of 10,classic films i'd put at 8/10 ,it's may'be 7/10,i've seen more powerfull single character stories,compared to something like "ghandi" it's way behind.
    Just my opinion.
    "Slumdog" i'd also rate at 6 or 7 out of 10.
  • squibblesquibble Posts: 750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Great film - good story, good characters and Sean Penn is worth the money alone.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Polonius wrote: »
    Saw it, what a film. Absolutely amazing.

What with this and Slumdog Millionaire (I don't care how "hyped" it is, I felt no hype, saw it and loved it), cinema this season is pretty great.

it does seem to be -

milk
    slumdog
    frost/nixon
    the reader
    seven pounds
    the wrestler
    benjamin button
    vicky christina barcelona
    che
    valkyrie
    revolutionary road
    doubt
    the international
    the class

some of those will be better than others, but i can't remember the last time there were so many films out that i'd at least think of going to see.

might even be worth getting one of those unlimited cards.

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw a trailer and really want to go and see it. I love the director for starters but certainly the trailer makes it look brilliant!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brilliant film. Sean Penn is absolutely amazing in it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been looking forward to Milk since last August when I first saw the trailer and finally got to see it tonight.

And the verdict? Erm, not too sure.

Good performances and a good story, but something was missing. I couldn't put my hand on it, but similar to The Reader, I left the cinema thinking it was alright, but I was expecting a whole lot more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 347
    Forum Member
    Great performances in my opinion, and I loved the way they used original footage too. The only thing I felt was missing was more of the interaction between harvey and dan white, as dan white seemed quite a complex character.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been looking forward to Milk since last August when I first saw the trailer and finally got to see it tonight.

Good performances and a good story, but something was missing. I couldn't put my hand on it, but similar to The Reader, I left the cinema thinking it was alright, but I was expecting a whole lot more.

it was may'be laid out too simplistically as a story,guy tries hard at doing the same thing a few times and eventually gets somewhere.

I'm not playing down his achievements,but that it was shown in a methodical way try,try,try again type of thing.

As i mentioned i find a film like "ghandi" far more inspiring as a single character story.
  • Knuxs7Knuxs7 Posts: 3,878
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was good. Like others have said the use of original footage was a fantastic idea.

The film was pretty long, it seemed to cover the same issue but constantly and in several ways. Personally I think the gay people in our group enjoyed it more than the straights. But surely a movie about the struggles of gay political rights would expect that kind of response?

The ending was incredible, moving and emotional, combined with the real footage and I did well up, which never happens to me!

The audience in general were a varied mix. A teenager gay couple shared a kiss at the end which made me proud that society has carried on moving forward, and seemed to sum up the entire film and what we had all just watched. :)
  • LadyFluffLadyFluff Posts: 481
    Forum Member
    I'm really looking forward to this! I'm going on 19th Feb, and am pleased its had such good reviews - I don't go to the pictures often, so this'll be a real treat!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked it but didn't love it. Sean Penn was great and it is definitely way above average for a biopic as it managed to balance Milk's personal and public life really well and wasn't disjointed like biopics tend to be.

However I felt Van Sant deified Milk a bit showing him to be a near perfect politician who didn't put a foot wrong. Also I felt Dan White was fairly underdeveloped as a character and was surprised that Josh Brolin (as good as he is) has been nominated at the Oscars, James Franco would be more deserving.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    I liked the movie!
    Although I am biased as I adore James Franco and Gus Van Saint! It dragged on a bit though!
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It lacked pace and tension; not because we already knew how it ended, but because his struggle to get elected was portrayed in a relatively bland, unexciting way. The best bit (for me) was the genuinely gripping cliffhanger over whether Proposition 6 would be passed and the way (without giving any spoilers) the result was linked to a character who we thought had already become a victim of anti-gay prejudice. That was really well handled.
    But overall, a slightly less impressive film than Sean Penn's performance deserves.
  • iainiain Posts: 63,929
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    saw it this and thought it was excellent - mainly because Penn was so good in it. he has, on the quiet, become a superb actor over the years, so could well be up for the Oscar this year.

not sure about the lack of excitement - with the odd bit of library footage, it really captured the sense of place and time well i thought. its almost a shame that everything is digital now, as that grainy age that film acquires is going to be lost.

Iain
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Loved it! Wasn't sure at the start as it seemed slow at the beginning but i was gripped by the end. Really moving, Penn and James Franco had great chemistry, fantastic performances.

I'm not sure how far America has moved on though, just watching Letterman interview James Franco, i thought Letterman came across as totally homophobic and i suspect he's still one of many!
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Terrible film, could'nt wait for it to finish,
    Direction was rubbish
    Cinematography was awful.
    Lacked warmth charisma and realism from the main characters.
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Unfortunately, I had to switch it off after 20 minutes, as the movie was making me feel uncomfortable. I thought I'd be alright with it, but from the word go there was too much man on man action shoved in my face, which prevented me from enjoying the movie properly. The full on kissing, cuddling and 'gayness' was just too much for me to take. I feel awful for saying that, but I'm just being honest. I tried to stick with it but I couldn't see much point in continuing to watch something that was making me feel uncomfortable.

Maybe I am missing out on a great movie (the critics seem to think so) so I'd probably give it another go at some point.

How did other straight men feel about watching this movie?
  • boddismboddism Posts: 16,436
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    Unfortunately, I had to switch it off after 20 minutes, as the movie was making me feel uncomfortable. I thought I'd be alright with it, but from the word go there was too much man on man action shoved in my face, which prevented me from enjoying the movie properly. The full on kissing, cuddling and 'gayness' was just too much for me to take. I feel awful for saying that, but I'm just being honest. I tried to stick with it but I couldn't see much point in continuing to watch something that was making me feel uncomfortable.

Maybe I am missing out on a great movie (the critics seem to think so) so I'd probably give it another go at some point.

How did other straight men feel about watching this movie?

.... sorry mate- STRANGE POST!! Its a film about a GAY MAN, openly gay, fighting for gay rights... didnt U expect some gay activity in it??

Moving on....

I liked the grainy original footage, I wonder what Anita (or her family) think of her image being used so much in the film... (or maybe it was an actress). :confused:

Penn was good as ever..

James Franco- first time Ive seen him in anything substantial. Always pegged him as a vacuous pretty boy previously. Shame on me for being so prejudiced- he was great in this!!

Loved the film and the very moving ending (incl original footage)

My main problem was with the OPERA!! What is it with Hollywood, gay men and f*****g OPERA to express intense emotion.. turning into a bit of a cliche eh??

I could have done without the sodding opera tbh...
  • Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    boddism wrote: »
    .... sorry mate- STRANGE POST!! Its a film about a GAY MAN, openly gay, fighting for gay rights... didnt U expect some gay activity in it??

Moving on....

I liked the grainy original footage, I wonder what Anita (or her family) think of her image being used so much in the film... (or maybe it was an actress). :confused:

Penn was good as ever..

James Franco- first time Ive seen him in anything substantial. Always pegged him as a vacuous pretty boy previously. Shame on me for being so prejudiced- he was great in this!!

Loved the film and the very moving ending (incl original footage)

My main problem was with the OPERA!! What is it with Hollywood, gay men and f*****g OPERA to express intense emotion.. turning into a bit of a cliche eh??

I could have done without the sodding opera tbh...

Thats the thing, I knew what it was about, and like I said, I thought I'd be alright with watching it.

I have a DVD with screeners of all the movies that are oscar nominated for best pic this year, which is why I watched it.

I just found the relationship scenes a bit too much. I am not saying they should of held back on the intimate scenes for the beneift of people like me, but I would have found it easier to watch. I didn't expect such intimate man on man action, so maybe I was being naive. I hadn't researched the movie much at all. I just knew it was about Harvey Milk and his political battle against homophobia.

Oh well, my loss anyways. Still got The Reader and Frost/Nixon to watch before the Oscars :D
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    I just found the relationship scenes a bit too much. I am not saying they should of held back on the intimate scenes for the beneift of people like me, but I would have found it easier to watch. I didn't expect such intimate man on man action, so maybe I was being naive.

It's not explicit, though, and it's not gratuitous because it's part of the story. His relationships with Scott and Jack are central to the plot and it would be weird and a bit insulting to gloss over them for the sake of not offending some viewers.

I wasn't particularly offended by the opera scenes either, but found found the scene with everyone dancing to Sylvester rather hard to watch:rolleyes: