STB As Modem??

LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
Forum Member
I have seen on various places that the V-Box was used as an internet modem that provided internet access.Is this still active?Because we have XL BBand on a router from the 250 cable modem and an engineer told me that for each computer on your network the speed would haf is this true?If so can we connect our computrs to the ethernet ports in the back of the STB or not? :confused:

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lummo wrote:
    can we connect our computrs to the ethernet ports in the back of the STB or not? :confused:
    Not. The ethernet port is disabled.
  • LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    Not. The ethernet port is disabled.
    Damn!! :mad: thanks for helping me
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The STB supports a max of 1meg broadband anyway. You need a cable modem for the speeds of 10Mb or higher. What the engineer meant was that your 10Mb is for your entire household and if you have more computers connected they all have to share this resource. This means if you have four PCs on at the same time they share the 10Mb, if three of them are off and only one is on, it gets the 10Mb to itself. There is no automatic division of speed, the router simply allocates it as required and cable broadband will only let you use one connection at a time, you can't have more in most circumstances.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    The STB was only used for broadband in the former C&W area (Bromley head). It's no longer offered to new users as part of the standardisation of products, and everyone is offered a SACM now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and an engineer told me that for each computer on your network the speed would haf is this true
    It's a bit more complicated than that, and depends on what each PC is doing.

Simply viewing individual web pages it will distribute the bandwidth 50/50 if you both view the same page at exactly the same moment. But if (a) changes a page and (b) does not then (a) will get full speed, and the same vice versa.

In a two PC LAN, both with access to the Internet, and both are doing large downloads at the same time, until each download is complete, each should receive 50% of the available bandwidth.

But there are other factors that would influence that, such as the maximum speed allowed by the distant server. If the server feeding (a)'s download is lower than 50% - say 30%, (a) will only get it's download at 30% - making 70% available for (b). And of course (b) could be similarly inhibited by the distant server it is downloading from - leaving 40% unused.

It is most likely that neither PC will notice any degradation in service when simply surfing the web - it is downloading over protracted periods of time that cause local congestion.

I believe it is called time division multiplexing.
  • TheBigMTheBigM Posts: 13,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RobAnt wrote:

I believe it is called time division multiplexing.

Time division multiplexing is a way of sending many signals virtually simultaneously, at the most basic level a single-core CPU could be accused of multitasking using TDMA. There are many kinds of multiplexing, you will find very few tasks that take up the entire 10Mb usually due to lack of upload from wherever you downloading.
  • LummoLummo Posts: 7,145
    Forum Member
    Thanks guys for helping me with this issue,what would be the effect be if for example i am on xbox live in a game and the other computers on my network were online and using their connections ? :confused:
  • blaggardblaggard Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    I was in Bromley when NTL used the STB as a modem, trust me, you would not want to use that option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    blaggard wrote:
    I was in Bromley when NTL used the STB as a modem, trust me, you would not want to use that option.

the STB is still used today with the samsung2100c and older STB's, the sammy gets on average 8mbit/s no problem in wythenshawe,south manchester,so its no problem, you may have had problems but thats not everyones case, i have several friends that still use them fine for both 4 and 10 mbit.

given that everyone in ex C&W area's are likely to have both an STB and a SACM now as stated above, it seems a real waste to have that extra unused STB internal CM doing nothing, they should seriously think about putting a special 2 for one deal so you can have two seperate cable connections at a GOOD discounted price.

"NedKelly:all the Samsung ,V+ boxes and the modems all use the ubrs .Its a common problem around the country" so its a simple activation no messing about plugging it in as its already done, what a waste of potential new cash flow.....

id take that offer as then the kids could serve their 360 games while i used the totally seperate NTL250 cm.
  • blaggardblaggard Posts: 134
    Forum Member
    popper wrote:
    the STB is still used today with the samsung2100c and older STB's, the sammy gets on average 8mbit/s no problem in wythenshawe,south manchester,so its no problem, you may have had problems but thats not everyones case, i have several friends that still use them fine for both 4 and 10 mbit.

given that everyone in ex C&W area's are likely to have both an STB and a SACM now as stated above, it seems a real waste to have that extra unused STB internal CM doing nothing, they should seriously think about putting a special 2 for one deal so you can have two seperate cable connections at a GOOD discounted price.

"NedKelly:all the Samsung ,V+ boxes and the modems all use the ubrs .Its a common problem around the country" so its a simple activation no messing about plugging it in as its already done, what a waste of potential new cash flow.....

id take that offer as then the kids could serve their 360 games while i used the totally seperate NTL250 cm.

It was a long way from being "just" me. The boxes may be more capable now but I really don't see why anyone would choose the STB option, a dedicated cable modem has to be the best option.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 391
    Forum Member
    blaggard wrote:
    It was a long way from being "just" me. The boxes may be more capable now but I really don't see why anyone would choose the STB option, a dedicated cable modem has to be the best option.

yeah sure, i never said its "just" you, my point is valid, they do use them in many places right now, they are already plugged in and powered at both ends, you just need an RJ45 plugged in and the PIN/pass issued and they could be giving you say an extra 2 or 4 mbit connection for a £5 a month profit and no more hardware outlay from them.

good for everyone that way, one good quality 10mbit/s NTL250 stand alone for your main use and the STB CM for the kids for instance, VM get extra income too so thats a good thing...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 37
    Forum Member
    simple u can use the port in SOME areas, but are limited to 2mb only.