Options

Yet again another company knocking PO services.

tvmad-alantvmad-alan Posts: 1,996
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi
Yet again another service company has now put a price on having to send you your bill. £1.25.

You are now push to go over to e-billing as this cost is put over to you, when it's should part of the service and free.

This will put another nail into jobs and aid MP's to sell more of the Post Office to the private companies ( Look at the private Banks have done )

We need to say that paper bills are good for all as this gives jobs to tree planters, tree cutters, paper mills, printers, ink makers, post service & paper recycle services.

The paper has always been there and paid by the company sent out by royal mail, but over the years companies have been allowed to take the mail over at a price and then given to the royal mail to post at large discount. Yet again MP's have lied and done back deals to damage a public service that from 1980 to 1997 gave tax payers around £5 Billions form it's profits.

So please tell your bill sender to send paper bills.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    tvmad-alan wrote: »

So please tell your bill sender to send paper bills.

I like many others prefer to deal with all of bills & correspondence electronically nowadays so I find that paper bills are a considerable inconvenience.

A rather more pressing concern with the push to recycle paper is the level of identity theft and therefore the less papers I have around the house with my account details on the better.

So, I believe that electronic bills are better for the environment as well as ensuring my details are not getting into the wrong hands so I for one will not be requesting paper bills from anyone who can provide it electronically.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 57
    Forum Member
    COmpanies are charging for paper bills as they have environmental concerns, as well as reducing costs and providing a better service in the way of billing.

How much easier is it to archive all of your bills on your PC and then never have a worry of your details getting into the wrong hands.

I completely agree with companies charging for paper bills, its better for the environment, safer for the customer and reduces costs for the business therefore resulting in better deals.

I will not be changing to paper billing for any of my services and would not, wven if it were free
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 178
    Forum Member
    I find the postal services so unreliable now, and having electronic billing does away with the possibility of not receiving the bills in due time.
    I can remember fondly the time that we used to get a postal delivery before 7am and another second post around 11am - now we consider ourselves lucky to get one delivery before 3pm.
    I wish more companies offered electronic billing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,503
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't worry about the PO just yet. VM send me at least 2 bits of junk mail a month even though I have ebilling. Makes their "saving the environment" excuse for charging for paper bills look a bit silly.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 119
    Forum Member
    I too prefer electronic bills. Main reason for this is because over the last year to 18 months we have had various postmen/postwomen who constantly put the mail through the wrong doors. I constantly have to "re-deliver" my neighbours post to their houses and always wonder if any of mine goes to "some" of them and after a quick nosey to see my business they then bin it! after all once the curiosity gets the better of them...they can't untear the envelope :rolleyes: . Also spotted one postwoman one day whilst busily wrongly delivering the mail she dilligently made sure we all got one of the bundle of Takeaway menus she was delivering for a local fast food outlet..obviously a little side earner for her.... no wonder her mind was elsewhere:mad: . So now everything I can have electronically has been changed over to paperless :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer electronic bills.

Roughly bi-weekly I get a letter / flyer through the door trying to persuade me to sign up for their services -- which of course goes straight into the recycling bin. So I don't believe that Virgin are enforcing ebilling to save the planet! :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    I'm sorry if this has been covered elsewhere - I did search before posting.

I accepted for myself that as a Virgin phone and TV customer with Broadband I could save £1.25 by changing to e-billing and therefore did so a while back. But what has disappointed me greatly is to find that my 84 year old mother who lives alone in sheltered accommodation and who is a TVL and PhoneL customer has had this charge added to her bill. She would not be able to manage a PC or the internet - having seen me demonstrate it at my place - but still finds she is to be penalised £1.25 a month for not choosing an option she could not have anyway.

We phoned Virgin and they were sympathetic but said we should send a letter asking how this charge can be appropriate. We have sent a letter off to Swansea Customer Services and I am interested to read what they have to say.

I fear that more companies will go down this route.

Thanks.
  • Options
    stud u likestud u like Posts: 42,100
    Forum Member
    Paper bills are bad for the environment. It takes no effort to set up ebilling and it should be a legal requirement for services.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    obviously a little side earner for her
    Not necessarily. The PO deliver junk mail too. It's pretty much getting to be the only way they can stay in any kind of business.

Not sure this thread is worthy of going in this topic though. It's a general business argument that transcends Virgin Cable. And the OP seems to have simply dropped it here, without making any strictly Virgin correlation whatsoever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 212
    Forum Member
    Paper bills are bad for the environment. It takes no effort to set up ebilling and it should be a legal requirement for services.

It still seems unfair to charge someone for paper billing if they are unable to use the internet. Of course Virgin also charge a massive £5 for payment other than by DD so it's clear they see this type of charge as useful to their balance sheet. As a private company they have every right to charge how much they choose and I accept that. - but for some of the elderly on their own it can seem an unreasonable extra cost.