Options

What job/jobs did you want to do when you were young/younger

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when I was younger, I wanted to be a teacher, writer or actress.

Now I want to be a teacher, author, script writer, actress, director, fashion designer, historian and the prime minister.
  • Options
    IzakIzak Posts: 3,452
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Since my early teens I wanted to work in graphic design. I'm quite experienced with desktop publishing software and have done all kinds of designs for friends/family but ended up working for the civil service...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wanted to be an actor, but I'm not pretty enough and I can't get to grips with script as quick as TV producers would most likely want me to :(

I still want to be an actor, but I don't want to waste my time if I'll never get there.

Being a sugar baby would be a good life, but you have to be a stunner to be one :/
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I wanted to be David Beckham when I was seven. Literally David Beckham, not like him or anything :p

Also liked the idea of teacher, airhostess and writer.

May go into teaching after Uni, still write in my spare time.
  • Options
    Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    flobadob wrote: »
    You know how in a relationship there is sometimes a problem that both people are vaguely aware of, but they can't quite put their finger on it, and even if they could clearly express it, they shouldn't because it would screw things up?
    You've just ruined everything!

:D

*takes a bow*

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wanted to be David Beckham when I was seven. Literally David Beckham, not like him or anything :p

Also liked the idea of teacher, airhostess and writer.

May go into teaching after Uni, still write in my spare time.

I'm clearly loads older but I did want to marry John Toshack, not sure that would have counted as a career move in the Pre Wag era though :D
  • Options
    newda898newda898 Posts: 5,466
    Forum Member
    Aww, I remember FluffyEgg.

I used to fancy working in the backroom of Argos fetching all those items. I could imagine this cavernous warehouse and some sort of treasure hunt to find the matching number.
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always just got beaten by someone else to my ideal job. I've always wanted to be a writer. I am a writer but some lucky git always gets there just ahead of me. I spent my teenage years (sadly enough, I should have been out shagging, but I just loved Margaret Rutherford and Agatha Christie and Ruth Rendell and crime in general, etc) writing about a Miss Marple type character investigating cases in Ireland. I even called it 'That's All She Wrote' and lo and behold in the middle of all this didn't Murder She Wrote appear. Flipping created by the Columbo people if you don't mind,
    my hero. I love Columbo, just love him.

Come on, what's the chances? Then I decided, having come from an Irish background and living in London with an extended family in the USA, I'd write about the famine and the Irish emigrating to America. Spent years researching, I mean years!! I had gotten to the 19th chapter of my glorious book . I decided to call it 'Wishing on a Sea' (you gotta see where I'm coming from with the whole wishing on a star scenario). What happens? Star of the Sea happens. I just gave up. Mine was far better, but he got there first.

Then I thought the whole vampire/witchcraft thing was ripe for the picking. Well, take your pick with that lot. Thousands of words and great plot lines (according to myself). But someone always gets there first

I had an idea for a 'can't help talking in a sarcastic manner', (it's a mental thing) character based on real life cases book. I'm writing it as I type. please don't let someone get ahead of me.

I have done the most shit jobs as well as fairly reasonably reasonable well-paid jobs, but my ideal is to write - something original, please let it be original. Sorry, I'm ever so slightly drunk.
  • Options
    TheEricPollardTheEricPollard Posts: 11,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbnutnut wrote: »
    I always just got beaten by someone else to my ideal job. I've always wanted to be a writer. I am a writer but some lucky git always gets there just ahead of me. I spent my teenage years (sadly enough, I should have been out shagging, but I just loved Margaret Rutherford and Agatha Christie and Ruth Rendell and crime in general, etc) writing about a Miss Marple type character investigating cases in Ireland. I even called it 'That's All She Wrote' and lo and behold in the middle of all this didn't Murder She Wrote appear. Flipping created by the Columbo people if you don't mind,

Come on, what's the chances? Then I decided, having come from an Irish background and living in London with an extended family in the USA, I'd write about the famine and the Irish emigrating to America. Spent years researching, I mean years!! I had gotten to the 19th chapter of my glorious book . I decided to call it 'Wishing on a Sea' (you gotta see where I'm coming from with the whole wishing on a star scenario). What happens? Star of the Sea happens. I just gave up. Mine was far better, but he got there first.

Then I thought the whole vampire/witchcraft thing was ripe for the picking. Well, take your pick with that lot. Thousands of words and great plot lines (according to myself). But someone always gets there first

I had an idea for a 'can't help talking in a sarcastic manner', (it's a mental thing) character based on real life cases book. I'm writing it as I type. please don't let someone get ahead of me.

I have done the most shit jobs as well as fairly reasonably reasonable well-paid jobs, but my ideal is to write - something original, please let it be original. Sorry, I'm ever so slightly drunk.

aww you could've invented Murder She Wrote. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bbnutnut wrote: »

Gawd mate, don't be so hard on yourself at least you HAVE original ideas.

Yeah, it's shit that you didn't quite get there first but you have all that luscious and industrious research which you KNOW you can translate into a wonderfully beautiful language that people will read.

You also have a fabtastic sense of humour about yourself and that will carry you a long way. Keep on typing away xxxx
  • Options
    bbnutnutbbnutnut Posts: 1,582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Joni M wrote: »
    Gawd mate, don't be so hard on yourself at least you HAVE original ideas.

Yeah, it's shit that you didn't quite get there first but you have all that luscious and industrious research which you KNOW you can translate into a wonderfully beautiful language that people will read.

You also have a fabtastic sense of humour about yourself and that will carry you a long way. Keep on typing away xxxx

Aww, thanks. I actually thought I'd be ignored on this thread. It's just so nice to have someone listen. Thanks Joni.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,405
    Forum Member
    ^ I'd say the vampire stories market is still ripe - go for it I say!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,119
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Archaeologist - Influenced time team
    Auctioneer I-nfluenced by watching lovejoy :o
    Footballers wife - Footballers wife was massive at the time.

Journalist
    Radio DJ

I'd still say DJ is my dream job but it's a little late for me taking over the radio one breakfast now! :( .