Options

Ken Burns "The War" (2007) gets a run on PBS

StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
Forum Member
Although it was made in 2007 I know I haven't seen it before and warmly welcome any documentary made by this extraordinary film maker.

This 14 hours long series that gives an American perspective from four real American families of the Second World War,is to be shown in 7 x 2 hour segments from the 1st September.I will be putting this on my series link as Burns rarely disappoints.

Having grown up in the 50's and 60's and probably in common with some FMs,I have an overly-developed cynicism towards the collective US contribution in this war thanks to the horribly jingoistic John Wayne et al who in almost all US war movies (Sam Fuller's excepted),appeared at the top of the hill,just in time and when all European hope for survival was lost,to save the day.

I would like to see Mr Burns set this record straight and perhaps explain their country's distinct lack of interest in European political upheaval from 1933 onwards.Apart from developing hugely profitable trade links with virtually all the countries involved in this war,imo,the US practically sat on their hands watching the wealth roll in until Pearl Harbor while the Nazis went about their Fuhrer's madness.

http://www.pbs.org/thewar/about_letter_from_producers.htm

No Peter Coyote narration this time regrettably (Keith David) but the list of actors lending their voices to this production is still impressive.

Comments

• Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    And what did the UK and the rest of Europe do to stop the Nazis in the long years between Hitler's ascent to power in Germany and the outbreak of war? Of course America had normal relations with all the countries it was at peace with. What Hitler was doing was all happening on YOUR front porch. Hitler was a European problem, and Europeans are keen to tell Americans to mind their own business -- up until they want Americans to do dirty work for them, of course.

And I have seen Burns' documentary. It is useless looking to that for any kind of exploration of US government policy at the time (something which can be found elsewhere, notably in any number of books). Burns' documentary is all about a small number of ordinary Americans and American families and communities affected by the war. It is "social history" -- from the vantage point of the little people -- rather than "big picture" political or military history.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »

And I have seen Burns' documentary. It is useless looking to that for any kind of exploration of US government policy at the time (something which can be found elsewhere, notably in any number of books). Burns' documentary is all about a small number of ordinary Americans and American families and communities affected by the war. It is "social history" -- from the vantage point of the little people -- rather than "big picture" political or military history.

I agree and this is precisely what makes Ken Burns a genius.
    All his documentaries tell the story from the point of view of the ordinary person, This makes it far more real and relatable IMO.

His Civil War is exceptional. I've seen it about 4 times now and while hating Baseball it was amazing how much interesting stuff was in his documentary about that. Like you say it's the social, human touches that make Ken Burns stand out.

:confused: I'm sure I've already seen this. Has it aired on PBS before?
  • Options
    MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    tally wrote: »
    :confused: I'm sure I've already seen this. Has it aired on PBS before?

The WWII documentary? Sure, it aired on PBS in 2007. The OP mentions that. Or are you referring to the "PBS America" channel in the UK?
  • Options
    StaxVoltStaxVolt Posts: 161
    Forum Member
    I suppose my OP rather invited the response from More Tears and he is quite right in one respect ... historical tomes that shed light on military action are innumerable but unfortunately few deal with anything other than dry facts and some of those are tinted to say the least.There has always been a tendency for the victors to distort the facts of a war in order to gain some political traction at the time of victory,hence Winston Churchill's (himself a master of propoganda imo) quote : “History is written by the victors.”

I disagree with your assertion that ...
    "Hitler was a European problem, and Europeans are keen to tell Americans to mind their own business -- up until they want Americans to do dirty work for them, of course." ... but suspect that this is not the place to discuss this further.

I find it much more interesting to discover what various levels of rank on both sides were thinking about when they asked themselves "What exactly were they doing there?" and as Tally points out this is precisely what makes Burns' documentaries great.

I should have just left it at the "Heads Up" news.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,198
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MoreTears wrote: »
    The WWII documentary? Sure, it aired on PBS in 2007. The OP mentions that. Or are you referring to the "PBS America" channel in the UK?

:) I was referring to the latter. I don't think PBS was on UK channels back then. But I'm sure they've shown it a year or so back.
  • Options
    jimbo1962jimbo1962 Posts: 2,552
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    its disappointing after his other stuff like The Civil War, seemed to dwell largely on some port on the south coast andt he social changes of the influx of black labour