Options

Why do weather presenters always do this?

Badabing1966Badabing1966 Posts: 874
Forum Member
✭✭
When I watch the main weather report on TV, (not the local report), why do the presenters feel they need to spend soo much time telling me what the weather is going to be like in London!, For god's sake I don't live there neither does over half the country, we couldn't give a toss about London, just because it is the capital, does not mean you have to spend half of what you are doing telling me about their weather. I for one couldn't care less, I hope it chucks it down over there!. Sorry rant over!>:(

Comments

• Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because if it snows in London the UKs BIG FREEZE begins!
  • Options
    johnythefoxjohnythefox Posts: 1,021
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I watch the main weather report on TV, (not the local report), why do the presenters feel they need to spend soo much time telling me what the weather is going to be like in London!, For god's sake I don't live there neither does over half the country, we couldn't give a toss about London, just because it is the capital, does not mean you have to spend half of what you are doing telling me about their weather. I for one couldn't care less, I hope it chucks it down over there!. Sorry rant over!>:(

If this is the case, then surely spending so much time telling nearly half the country what their weather is going to be like, is totally justified?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If this is the case, then surely spending so much time telling nearly half the country what their weather is going to be like, is totally justified?

They do tell us what the weather is going to be like in the rest of the country, but they skip through that rather quickly, and seem more concerned that poor poor London has the most attention given to it. Like who cares honestly!
  • Options
    BermondseybrickBermondseybrick Posts: 1,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because London is where it's at .... That's what you have local weather for ... I mean I couldn't give a rats ass what the weather is like in Manchester or Scotland or Liverpool
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,642
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didn't know until I read it on another thread that Carol Kirkwood is a weather presenter.

I though she just appeared on screen for a few minutes every half an hour in the morning to cheer us all up and get us going for the day. Never realised there was a weather map behind her. :D
  • Options
    Devon MilesDevon Miles Posts: 6,654
    Forum Member

That's funny you should say that, as living in London I sometimes get a bit peaved when 1/2 the forecast is dedicated to the weather in Northern Scotland - well that's what it feels like.. :blush:
  • Options
    TrollHunterTrollHunter Posts: 12,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do tell us what the weather is going to be like in the rest of the country, but they skip through that rather quickly, and seem more concerned that poor poor London has the most attention given to it. Like who cares honestly!

They focus on London for the simple fact that London is the most important city in the country, most people are interested in what the weather in the capital is like, and most people would prefer to live there given half the chance. Apart from football teams, what else have any of the major cities got going for them? And as for the cities or indeed towns with no prominent football team, I don't know why they even bother naming on the map. They're utterly pointless.

Rant over.

Jake Thepegg
    Padstow.
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I watch the national weather forecasts and I don't think they centre on London at all. I don't work or live in London, so if it they did I think I would have noticed. They generally work around the country, and due to Scotland getting the majority of the shi*te weather I always thought they focus on Scotland more than the rest of the UK.

However, if it bothers you that much, watch the regional forecast.
  • Options
    jmclaughjmclaugh Posts: 63,999
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know why they bother with presenters who seem to err very much on the optimistic side anyway, maps would do just fine, the only exception being Lucy Versamy. :)
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    exception being Lucy Versamy. :)

Really. That god awful smirk she does at the end of the weather makes me want to reach into the TV and punch her.:blush:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I relatively recently noticed that the Scottish lady on the beeb am show does have rather impressive bristols
  • Options
    thefairydandythefairydandy Posts: 3,235
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If I'm really interested in the weather I check the local forecast, but it does vaguely annoy me that when they do the circuit of the UK swooping over the map, Birmingham gets skimmed past. The camera leaves Birmingham at the far left when going down the map then on the far right when going up the map. Plus the time changes as they go around the country, so you get the morning weather for the north west, lunchtime weather for London and afternoon weather for the south west and Wales. Hardly useful for anyone I'd have thought :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If I'm really interested in the weather I check the local forecast, but it does vaguely annoy me that when they do the circuit of the UK swooping over the map, Birmingham gets skimmed past. The camera leaves Birmingham at the far left when going down the map then on the far right when going up the map. Plus the time changes as they go around the country, so you get the morning weather for the north west, lunchtime weather for London and afternoon weather for the south west and Wales. Hardly useful for anyone I'd have thought :D

One instance of watching the weather report in Ireland was amusing and I'm sure this wasn't a rarity:

C Mayo - rain, Dublin - rain, Galway - rain, Cork - rain etc etc
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jmclaugh wrote: »
    I don't know why they bother with presenters who seem to err very much on the optimistic side anyway, maps would do just fine, the only exception being Lucy Versamy. :)

Lucy Is hot hot hot!!!!!, Quite possibly one of the fittest women on TV, WHAT I WOULD LIKE TO DO TO HER!:D