Options

Charlie Parker and James Thornton for Strictly 2011!

posiepebblesposiepebbles Posts: 1,494
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Never heard of either of them before but thought their performance on Let's Dance for Comic Relief was rather lovely.

Not flawless, of course, but I thought they really got into the spirit of things, picked up some impressive technique in the time given, captured the spirit and character of the routine and the fun they had with it really translated into fun for the viewer. In other words, perfect recipe for great Strictly contestants!

Maybe it was just the fact that they stood out a bit from the over-used 'man in drag' contestants (I loved Robert Webb to bits but not sure about the legacy he seems to have created) but I just found them really enjoyable.

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,923
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They were really good weren't they? I agree that they got the spirit of what that number was all about.

It was really quite refreshing to see a different type of performance on the show, and was great to see that the audience at home liked it too.
    Tap dancing is so out of vogue nowadays. I used to love going to tap and ballet lessons when I was a child.

Like you I'd got rather bored with all the 'man in drag' acts (although I also loved Robert Webb).
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was glad they got voted straight through as I am not sure they would have been picked over Noel for instance by the judges.

there were at least 3 acts better than Katie Price this week so its a shame we have to have her back.
  • Options
    dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    James Thornton , yes pls .x
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 81
    Forum Member
    its Charlie Baker not Parker
  • Options
    Jan2555*GG*Jan2555*GG* Posts: 11,064
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope at least one of them gets Strictly they were great and they really didnt expect to win which made it even nicer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Did they win overall?
    I couldn't be bothered to watch the final this week as the tap routine was the only routine I'd enjoyed all series, and I missed last week's episiode due to being away at a dance competition!
    If they won the final I'm very pleased as i thought that Russell Kane doing Beyonce was a shoe in for the win.
  • Options
    durnovariandurnovarian Posts: 1,604
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they won the final I'm very pleased as i thought that Russell Kane doing Beyonce was a shoe in for the win.

I think he thought so, as well.... I can't help suspecting it was no coincidence that there were three comedian-in-drag's in the final, ie with the potential to split the vote and let someone else in. (A suspicion strengthened by what Robert Webb said as he handed over the trophy, something about 'about time the template was smashed'.) But given that J&C went straight through in their round there was always a chance.

And yes they won! Yay!! :D:D

Now all we've got to do is somehow engineer a female winner.....
  • Options
    CaroUKCaroUK Posts: 6,354
    Forum Member
    They were brilliant!

And yes - I thought that Russell thought he was a shoo in for the win - especially as they put him at the end instead of on first.......they usually keep them in the order of the heats they were in so he should have been first or second up..... all the others were in the right show 1 show 2 order etc......- except him!
  • Options
    kittenkong42kittenkong42 Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CaroUK wrote: »
    They were brilliant!

And yes - I thought that Russell thought he was a shoo in for the win - especially as they put him at the end instead of on first.......they usually keep them in the order of the heats they were in so he should have been first or second up..... all the others were in the right show 1 show 2 order etc......- except him!

Russell Kane thought he was a shoo-in as well! Let's say he didn't look very happy to lose, which just made me happier that he did :D

Charlie & James were actually good - you can't just turn up and wing tap-dancing that well. Maybe we can have a Mr & Mrs on SCD again - get James & Joanna Page (Stacey of Gavin & Stacey) in for this years show...