12346»

Comments

• Options
    CadivaCadiva Posts: 18,412
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    Thanks for that. That sounds right.

I was typing from memory when I wrote it, having just read something about Alfred the Great so I had Wessex on the mind rather than Mercia.
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Late contributor to this thread, basically because I have to watch each programme three times to extract all the rich juices from the presentation - it really is a joy to watch and listen to such an authoritative and informative series of programmes.

I absolutely love the cinematographic metaphor of the helicopters, motorways, rail etc - we really are walking in the footsteps of giants in our everyday lives - to our shame we don't realise it, who'd have thunk Tamworth was such a key place in our nation's history.

Special thanks to Professor Jinty Nelson, who apart from having the most fantastic name on the planet, has given such clear historical insight and done this by using the full rich linguistic variety of our PAST tenses - none of this nonsense of using the present tense (which annoys and confuses me) that so many TV historians employ - presumably on the ludicrous assumption that it makes everything 'citin'!
  • Options
    VerenceVerence Posts: 104,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If the Beeb have any sense they'll commission another series from Michael Wood about the rest of the monarchs of the House of Wessex
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Missed the first episode - No longer on iPlayer.
    Anyone still have it recorded on hard-drive/sky+ and could transfer/let me have copy on DVD?
    I'd be very grateful and would pay any expenses/costs etc
    Let me know via here or PM?
    Thanks in advance
  • Options
    ladydedlock77ladydedlock77 Posts: 1,473
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2
    Forum Member
    Many thanks for that link, yes very useful, now watched it
    Cheers
  • Options
    EosterwineEosterwine Posts: 108
    Forum Member
    Watching the repeat of this again.

Does anyone know the title of the music used in the program of the women singing??