have you ever gone off a TV show

Comments

• GloriaSnockersGloriaSnockers Posts: 2,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shameless. It was compulsive viewing for me for a few years, but I don't think I even watched a single episode of the last two series.
  • JimothyDJimothyD Posts: 8,868
    Forum Member
    Like most people, The Simpsons.

Homeland too - should have ended with series one.

24 - went off the boil after season 5. Live Another Day was laughable.
  • guernseysnailguernseysnail Posts: 18,922
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come Dine With Me....One of my favourite programmes when it started, now it's lost all of it's appeal.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That programme with Four in a Bed - I watched for a few weeks but never saw four people in a bed, very disappointed.I was expecting it to be a very large bed:D
  • Torch81Torch81 Posts: 15,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Come Dine With Me....One of my favourite programmes when it started, now it's lost all of it's appeal.

Totally agree. It used to be great viewing then the narrator started shouting, rent-a-freak got picked to host and it all got a bit intolerable.

Location, Location - used to really enjoy it until the two presenters developed an unbearable belief in their own (alleged) self importance. That programme should be renamed 'Mr & Mrs Smug help you find a house'!
  • Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Mill, loved the first series, don't like the second series at all, so have given up watching it.
  • pauljoansspauljoanss Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Robot Wars.
    At the start I thought it was great, at that time I think it was mainly geeky people building the machines, but then it turned into something like WWF (World Wrestling Federation) and the builders seem to have more aggressive personalities. But maybe just the way it was edited and presented.
  • bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    The later series of Red Dwarf mainly cus I liked Lister as the protagonist and I couldn't warm to Kochanski.
  • snafu65snafu65 Posts: 18,211
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've gone off loads of shows, to name but a few.

Eastenders
    Dexter
    Deal Or No Deal
    Lost
    The X Files
    Most Haunted
    Outnumbered

and many, many more.
  • MrsWatermelonMrsWatermelon Posts: 3,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All soaps, when I was about 14 and realised how appalling the acting and writing is. I don't know how any adults watch them non-ironically!

Come Dine With Me has lost a lot of its appeal since they started featuring "rent-a-freaks" as someone said above. It's much more interesting watching four/five normal people and the more subtle relationships that develop, IMO.

Eggheads, too much waffle and the Eggheads too insufferable.
  • doe_a_deerdoe_a_deer Posts: 2,132
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm quite bad for going off shows but still watching them. If I'm into a show I won't generally stop watching it, even if it goes off the boil. I guess a good show whether that be comedy or drama makes you interested in the characters and their lives, so even if the show becomes poor you still watch purely to see what happens to the characters. I can think of loads of shows which went off the boil - not many are brave enough to truly quit while they're ahead - but I kept watching until the bitter end anyway.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Pointless again.

I stopped watching it a couple of years back but started to watch it a couple of months back. Now bored of it again.

I watch the celeb ones. Not because of the celebs but just that it's once a week or month instead of tuning in every day.
    The same with The Chase.
  • 777Eilidh777Eilidh Posts: 603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coronation Street. I watched it for well over 40 years and if I missed an episode I always managed to catch up with it somehow. Wouldn't even answer the phone or let anyone talk when it was on. :blush: You know I haven't missed it once.
  • EMLEML Posts: 87
    Forum Member
    jarryhack wrote: »
    Waterloo Road I went right off after the switch to Scotland. Deal Or No Deal, I used to like it when it first came out, but now I can't stand it. It's so over the top, it's a game of pure luck but Noël Edmonds goes on as though choosing the box takes some skill...argh!!!!

My elderly Mum loved Deal or No Deal, until we went to see the filming of it...she couldn't stand it after that! (Mind you, the same thing happened when we went to watch the recording of Last of the Summer Wine and when I took her to see her favourite football team).

I supposed the old adage of 'Never meet your heroes' is true.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    777Eilidh wrote: »
    Coronation Street. I watched it for well over 40 years and if I missed an episode I always managed to catch up with it somehow. Wouldn't even answer the phone or let anyone talk when it was on. :blush: You know I haven't missed it once.
    So have you stopped watching it then?
  • gurney-sladegurney-slade Posts: 29,655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tonight was the first time I've deliberately not watched New Tricks.

The only 'big' US series I've watched right through and was gutted when it finished was E.R. I managed about three series of the others - West Wing, 24, The Sopranos, Desperate Housewives - before losing interest.

I agree with what's been said about Come Dine With Me. I loved until it became obvious that the contestants were more interested in being on telly than cooking.
  • cantelpitcantelpit Posts: 403
    Forum Member
    Most Haunted, it started off as an entertaining but reasonably scientific paranormal investigation show but has become predictable and boring with the inevitable throwing of objects and knocking on cue
  • GPWGPW Posts: 3,375
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tne new series of Dr Who
  • PretzelPretzel Posts: 7,858
    Forum Member
    I loved ER in the first few years but I think that even it's most devoted fans (as I was) would agree that the later years weren't great. Sorry just realised that's US TV, so to get back on topic I also loved Silk but I hated the way it ended. So, rather than go off it I suppose you could say that I'm glad it's gone. Also I was devoted to Eastenders in the 90s, early 2000s, gradually went off it and stopped watching about 10 years ago.

I quite enjoyed the first series of Downton Abby, stared watching the second and realised that writing, whilst never having been especially good, had deterioted to become (to me) almost unintentionally funny. And that's amusing for an episode or two but I need more to keep me watching drama, so yeah that too.
  • Cellar_DoorCellar_Door Posts: 2,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Misfits. The first two series were cracking, but once almost all of the original cast left it was awful, couldn't stand that Scouse lad.
  • AbominationAbomination Posts: 6,483
    Forum Member
    I had a brief time of going off The X Files, and Mulder's final full season - Season 7 - was a real drag. I decided to see it through to the end though, and am in quite a minority of much preferring and even enjoying Season 8 and Season 9. (Season 6 was my personal favourite, mind you).

Ghost Whisperer is another one. I loved the show to begin with and it was never outright bad, but the story arc in Season 4 concerning Jim was just convoluted and messy. I've got the Season 5 box set but haven't been compelled to watch it knowing the show was axed and inconclusive and also knowing that the last episodes I watched were among my least favourite.

I watched the first few episodes of Buffy spin-off Angel, and thought they were okay if unremarkable. I struggled to continue watching and dropped out before even the end of the first season. It wasn't comparable to the quality of the main show for me, and though I followed the events of it (via Wikipedia) the only elements that interested me were the character-crossovers. The Buffy characters that became main characters in Angel...well the way they continued those characters, particularly Cordelia, was just off and bizarre.

Oh and Downton Abbey. Despite a superb cast, the first season was a struggle and then the second I gave up on. It just felt like a soap in period-setting dressing. I'd much rather just have a period drama.
  • NicoleRichNicoleRich Posts: 2,107
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    90210 - Season 4, 5

After showrunner Rebbecca Sinclair left, the show turned into a low-rate soap opera. Rebbecca made the show watchable, making it my weekly guilty pleasure. After two new showrunners came on board for Season 4, the show became shite. They didn't know how to write some of the characters and the storylines became shockling laughable/bad. I was glad it got canceled as I couldn't stop watching due to my love for the lead character, Naomi.
  • ellesworthellesworth Posts: 919
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CSI. Twice. Once when Laurence Fishburne was on it, then when they got rid of him and brought in Ted it was OK but not on par with the Grissom days. The season being shown on Channel 5 is getting ridiculous with the guest stars. When Hodges went crazy because someone had spiked the air freshener with drugs, I gave up.
  • ValentineValentine Posts: 3,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Used to love Coach Trip but haven't watched the last 2 series. I just couldn't be bothered to commit to watching the same thing every day for over a month.

Frasier - didn't watch the last 2 (possibly 3) series (I didn't realise till reading it on hear that they changed the writers, makes sense now). I just didn't enjoy the heavy farce that was brought into it. I did think the finale was fantastic though (so much better than Friends, which ended at roughly the same time). I've enjoyed the repeats though on C4 on weekday mornings.

Shameless - watched first 2 series but then went right off it and haven't seen it since.

Have I Got New for You/Mock the Week/Never Mind the Buzzcocks - loved MTW and Buzzcocks especially but MTW got stale and Buzcocks never recovered from Amstell leaving. I just got bored of smug Hislop and Merton on the other one.
  • barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Educating The East End. I simply tired of watching the teachers allowing tantrums that would have resulted in instant exclusion from any school I have ever known.