MSN Messenger to end after 15 years

StigStig Posts: 12,446
Forum Member
✭✭
Microsoft finally kill Messenger

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-28987797

I was working in a college in the mid noughties, and I remember the constant battles IT staff had to stop students (aka unruly teenagers) from installing Messenger. Kids who could barely spell their own name somehow knew they could setup Messenger in Portuguese to bypass security.

Comments

• s2ks2k Posts: 7,410
    Forum Member
    I always thought it was illogical that Microsoft included Windows Messenger with XP. I know they tried to pass it off as some kind of enterprise solution but I can't recall anyone ever using it for that purpose. It was essentially a cutdown version of MSN messenger....which later became Windows Live Messenger...Had they not purchased Skype I reckon we would be on Bing Messenger by now. Meanwhile despite the purchase of Skype we still have Lync squished in there too. MS really aren't very good at this brand-consolidation lark. :o

Was never really a fan of MSN Messenger but it seemed like the most popular IM client for people in the UK around the time. I found the only way to really make it usable was to apply the Messpatch utility to strip out all the guff then use the Messenger Plus! addon to Frankenstein it with extra features (being careful not to load the adware in the process). It was a total nightmare when they released an update cos you would have to wait for the patches to all be updated beforehand then go through the process again. Thing is even once you sorted the client out the service was still down every other week so it was handy to have AIM and YIM as backup.

tl;dr And nothing of value was lost. :cool:
  • Scotty_WaldenScotty_Walden Posts: 1,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    *Nudge*
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Stig wrote: »
    Microsoft finally kill Messenger

Do you remember a program 'shoot the messenger' , now with a notice to go to Skype but if you click the x you can go ahead and download it. Messenger became a bit of a security/malware problem if I remember correctly hence the above to get rid of it.
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,404
    Forum Member
    MSN Messenger to end after 15 years

I remember chatting away on MSN! It's kind of a shame that it's followed the fax, VHS, etc. into extinction.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Im still using it.
  • Duffman2000Duffman2000 Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's thanks to MSN Messenger that I got to have my first ever conversation with someone from the middle East.
  • epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yahoo Messenger continues.

https://uk.messenger.yahoo.com/
  • Leathertrouser2Leathertrouser2 Posts: 412
    Forum Member
    I thought Messenger went ages ago, I used it all the time but was told to change to Skype as Microsoft were discontinuing it. Loved Messenger more than Skype. Maybe I am old fashioned.
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,944
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It did go here, its going to be turned off in China, which i presume will be the last one to go, but you can still use it.

I tried Skype for it, was terrible so went back to messenger.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Skype is terrible compared to MSN/WL Messenger. Have fond memories of using it when I was a teen to chat to school friends and also the MSN chat rooms which were mental fun with the hosts and hammers, custom rooms, chat bots etc.

I re-iterate, Skype is terrible.
  • The_OneThe_One Posts: 2,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I miss those days!

I used it between years 1999 to 2006ish, then more and more people seemed to stop using it. Then the rise of facebook happened.
  • joe-mediajoe-media Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    Facebook chat killed it for me.

At least Facebook chat doesn't have a load of useless guff in it like Messenger eventually did.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What, you mean like pictures, animated GIF's, group convos, file sharing and video chat...? You know, the things you can do in Facebook Chat right now? Oh...
  • starry_runestarry_rune Posts: 9,006
    Forum Member
    whatsapp, kik, facebook, unlimited texts and email killed the msn star.

That, and the last few versions of messenger were terrible.
  • David MillsDavid Mills Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paddy C wrote: »
    Skype is terrible compared to MSN/WL Messenger. Have fond memories of using it when I was a teen to chat to school friends and also the MSN chat rooms which were mental fun with the hosts and hammers, custom rooms, chat bots etc.

I re-iterate, Skype is terrible.

Skype isn't primarily for web chats though, that's just a secondary service - it's video function is the best video call service available in the World.

I've used it for years and this last couple of years it's become amazing, good quality call connections and picture and sound.

I used to use msn a lot and it did have a better text service but I think it's good Skype didn't alter it's layout to accommodate and instead focused on the best video call quality. Since it ended I've just use video call now and I don't text chat anymore. I prefer video and do what I can to avoid text talking chats to people as it's just easier.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I never used it but my friends used to use it a lot in the mid 00s. Everyone at school seemed to be using it.