Options

Virgin Media launches Virgin Free TV across the UK

paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
Forum Member
✭✭
Virgin Media has today launched a digital TV service to consumers living in non-cabled areas - expanding availability of its quadplay of broadband, phone, mobile and TV services beyond its cable franchise network.

The service uses the digital terrestrial television platform (DTT) and a new set-top box to offer consumers:

over 40 free-to-air TV channels and over 25 digital radio stations
an easy to use eight-day, Virgin branded, on-screen TV guide
high quality reception plus access to interactive content via the red button
customer service support online and over the phone
plug 'n'play installation
low power consumption using just 1/15th of the energy of a standard 60W lightbulb
Full press release - http://pressoffice.virginmedia.com/phoenix.zhtml?c=205406&p=irol-newsArticle&ID=980528&highlight=

Sounds interesting...

Comments

• Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Glad to see VM forward planning for the eventual demise of cable!
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So people in a non-cabled area get more channels on the free package and some that cable customers can't get at all?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    So people in a non-cabled area get more channels on the free package and some that cable customers can't get at all?

Think of the profit matgins for VM:

None of the cabling costs, no engineers to send out for installs - all they have to supply is a £10 digibox!

Hope they invest the super-margins into improving cabled services.
  • Options
    paul_hadleypaul_hadley Posts: 10,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How I understand it is they're just launching their own terrestrial set top box that works through an aerial - ie. Freeview with a Virgin box. It would be quite good if they could launch a subscription package on terrestrial for it - like Sky was apparantely planning - something to rival Top Up TV - but there's not much bandwidth on terrestrial/Freeview, so probably not realistic. They could easily turn UKTV Gold on terrestrial into a subscription package with a few other channels though. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nojo608 wrote:
    Think of the profit matgins for VM:

None of the cabling costs, no engineers to send out for installs - all they have to supply is a £10 digibox!

Hope they invest the super-margins into improving cabled services.

This is actually a method of getting offnet customers onboard in preparation for launch of the offnet IPTV product later on.
  • Options
    welwynrosewelwynrose Posts: 33,666
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nojo608 wrote:
    Glad to see VM forward planning for the eventual demise of cable!

why would cable disappear in this country I'm quite happy with cable thank you very much
  • Options
    NightdeamonNightdeamon Posts: 3,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im in a analouge cable area which means no DTV does this mean i can get this box as im in a DTT area or do i have to wait for this feasibility study to end and wait for them to re CAB the area ( ex tw area of W. London)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:

to name a few:

- Sky Spts news
    - Sky News
    - Sky Three

They're be able to use ADSL to stream live channels and VOD in the future a la homechoice meets BT Vision but superior aparently
  • Options
    firehawk1firehawk1 Posts: 2,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sky news or sky three of course...remember the dispute?

since when was there an "eight day" on screen tv guide? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    firehawk1 wrote:

Yes but remeber theyre using Freeview which has those channels unless they have not used them on their epg and it problary uses the DTT EPG data to make it 8 days

the dispute was for cable carriage they just using a Virgin branded Freeview box which all of freeview inter8ctive services
  • Options
    Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    firehawk1 wrote:

That was my original point.

People on the DTT Free TV package will get more channels than those on the cable Free TV Package and some channels that nobody on Cable is able to get.

The Guide is 7/8 days on Freeview (certainly not 1 day).
  • Options
    NEWLINEtvNEWLINEtv Posts: 5,420
    Forum Member
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Daveoc64 wrote:
    That was my original point.

People on the DTT Free TV package will get more channels than those on the cable Free TV Package and some channels that nobody on Cable is able to get.

The Guide is 7/8 days on Freeview (certainly not 1 day).

You get every FV channel from you local TX

http://www.virgin.net/allyours/digitaltv/channels/
  • Options
    tvtimestvtimes Posts: 9,276
    Forum Member
    I wonder when the big brother series starts will these Offnet customer's have the exclusive interactive content from the house like cabled customer's?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    I was curious about the new service (although I'm with TUTVA & pretty happy with it). Basically it is just a new box where you get customer support (something the normal freeview service doesn't get). As per the website;
    What is Virgin Free TV?

Virgin Free TV is a brand new service that allows you to watch digital TV, even if you don’t live in a cable area.

With Virgin Free TV you’ll have access to some fantastic features:

Over 40 digital channels including all the basic channels you love, like ITV 2, E4, BBC News 24, Sky News, Sky Sports News, Sky Three and Film4, plus loads more

Easy to use Electronic Programme Guide (EPG) with 8 day programme listings
    High quality reception plus access to interactive content via the Red Button
    Full customer service support online and over the phone
    One of the smallest and most stylish digital boxes on the market
    Low power consumption
    Easy to install, just plug ‘n’ play
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I bet they wont advertise the fact they now supply the whole of a uk with the virgin service.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    How can they launch this when their lines are still too busy regarding the SKY issue and other issues. Their lines will be even busier now!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote:
    I wonder when the big brother series starts will these Offnet customer's have the exclusive interactive content from the house like cabled customer's?
    Do you have a link to the announcement of "exclusive" Big Brother content? I'd think E4 was available across all platforms, which hardly leaves a lot to show "exclusively" on Cable.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote:
    I bet they wont advertise the fact they now supply the whole of a uk with the virgin service.
    Yes, I'm certain they won't ever promote their new service and just expect it to be a success on it's own.:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes, I'm certain they won't ever promote their new service and just expect it to be a success on it's own.:eek:

You only have to look at their recent advertising campaigns with VM they have hardly been affective.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you have a link to the announcement of "exclusive" Big Brother content? I'd think E4 was available across all platforms which does not leave a lot to show "exclusively" on Cable.

what about VOD i think they will be offering their subs something exclusive they would be stupid not to.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote:
    what about VOD i think they will be offering their subs something exclusive
    I'll ask again, after Channel 4 and E4's "blanket coverage" what's left to show? Repeats of the previous night with the housemates all asleep in bed?:eek:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    We will just have to watch this space wont we.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote:
    We will just have to watch this space wont we.
    I ever won't be watching Big Brother on any channel (or space)!:p
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tvtimes wrote:
    That would be (another) untrue advert if they did - after all, only 70% of the country can get DTT..