Options

What are DC doing to female characters

saintadesaintade Posts: 106
Forum Member
What are DC up to? I'm an old fart who has been reading comics for years and years and have been really enjoying the New 52 run so far. So why do DC feel they have to change things? And PowerGirl...I mean, REALLY???? I don't need to go into anatomical detail, but what on earth are they thinking with this latest version? It's completely pointless (in more ways than one). And now I see they are changing Supergirl, presumably into the same type of sexless PC mixed-race androgynous vapid character as Powergirl and Batgirl have become. We've become too politically correct and are pandering to a small group of people who doubtless have complained about our superheroines being too buxom or drawn out of realistic proportions. Well it's a comic, dammit, it's supposed to be OTT. Leave the characters alone. Rant over. I'll just have to go back to my 70s and 80s collections and read them again....

Comments

• Options
    GulftasticGulftastic Posts: 127,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Power Girl, I can accept. Her buxomness is a well established thing. I'm less happy about World's Finest changing. I loved the dynamic of her and Helen Wayne (The Huntress).

I'm a bit shaky on what they are going to do to Supergirl too. I have enjoyed her adventures thus far.

Now, as for ruining characters, Batwoman. They've got one of the best creators working on the title, doing some epic work. The Wonder Woman arc was amazing. Then DC start interfering causing him to leave. Within a few months, we have Batwoman fighting in space. Utter nonsense. Now the title is to be cancelled, which I wish I could find surprising.
  • Options
    grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Similar things happened in the 1950's I think when authorities/parents etc complained about sexy heroines. Some things never change...
  • Options
    claire2281claire2281 Posts: 17,283
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thank goodness they've sorted out PowerGirl and her ludicrous boob window. It was impossible to take her seriously with such an idiotic design.

Pity though that Batwoman, Batgirl and Wonder Woman are a shadow of what they were when written by their original new 52 writers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Supergirl - Cancelled
    Batwoman - Cancelled
    Worlds Finest - Cancelled

Damn you DC.
  • Options
    JCRJCR Posts: 24,070
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hugely improbable they won't relaunch SuperGirl given she has got a TV show next season though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »
    Hugely improbable they won't relaunch SuperGirl given she has got a TV show next season though.

True, but I was enjoying the current comics incarnation. I like that she is a young woman, who has to adjust to Earth. From the sound of the TV show, she'll be an all-murrcan teen.

Looking at the list of post-Convergance titles, only Harley Quinn/Power Girl has any appeal.
  • Options
    frightleverfrightlever Posts: 1,272
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JCR wrote: »

As mentioned, any (digital) comic will be a tie-in with the TV show and owe little to the comic legacy, the same way they've done with Arrow/Flash.