Thor
    Thunderstrike
    Warlock and the Infinity Watch
    Death's Head
    Doom 2099

Probably some other for specific stories but not regularly
  • BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    My wife got me volumes 5 and 6 of Charley's War at Christmas, so for the past week I've been making my way through volumes 1-4 again. Finished last night so looking forward to starting volume 5 tonight.

I see that Volume 7 is already out, but whilst having a look on Amazon, I noticed that volume 1 of Johnny Red is out on the 28th January, and volume 1 of Darkie's Mob is out on the 25th March. There's also reference to Major Eazy, but I don't think that they've finalised a release date for that yet as it's currently showing as 2019!

Just need D-Day Dawson now and I'd be extremely happy with those.
  • gerry dgerry d Posts: 12,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From what i can remember

The Beano
    The Dandy
    The Topper
    Buster
    The Beezer
    Oink
    The Eagle
    He-Man
    Mask
    Get Along Gang
  • Conall CearnachConall Cearnach Posts: 874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Beano
    Whizzer & Chips
    Victor
    Warlord
    Battle/Action
    Tornado
    2000AD (& starlord and tornado)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cracker: favourite strips, the one about the family stranded on another planet, and the one with the boy vampire-cannot recall either of their titles.
    Monster Fun: favourite strip: Creecher Teecher; Rentaghost (not based on the TV show of that name), Martha's Monster Make-Up.
    Buster: favourite strips: Leopard of Lime Street; strip about the boy with a shipload of tiny aliens, stranded on Earth, living in his bedroom (I forget the title).
    Star Wars: favourite strips: Warlock; Deathlok.
    Jackpot: favourite strips: one with miniature action toys that come to life and kidnap boy and girl; one with schoolgirl trying to work out which of her teachers is a murderer.
    Incredible Hulk: favourite strips: Night Raven.
    Eagle (1980s version): favourite strips: Doomlord; Crowe Street Comp; One Eyed Jack.
  • tingramretrotingramretro Posts: 10,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cracker: favourite strips, the one about the family stranded on another planet, and the one with the boy vampire-cannot recall either of their titles.
    Castaways on Planet Doom and Little 'Orror, respectively.
    Monster Fun: favourite strip: Creecher Teecher; Rentaghost (not based on the TV show of that name),
    Rentaghost was by Brian Walker, who also used the same characters in Scream Inn, I think...
    Martha's Monster Make-Up.
    By the great Ken Reid, who also created Faceache and Frankie Stein!
    Buster: favourite strips: Leopard of Lime Street; strip about the boy with a shipload of tiny aliens, stranded on Earth, living in his bedroom (I forget the title).
    Jackpot: favourite strips: one with miniature action toys that come to life and kidnap boy and girl; one with schoolgirl trying to work out which of her teachers is a murderer.
    Incredible Hulk: favourite strips: Night Raven.
    Eagle (1980s version): favourite strips: Doomlord; Crowe Street Comp; One Eyed Jack.
    There's some really great stuff, there! I loved Star Wars Weekly, too. Though it was Hulk Comic that Night Raven appeared in, back in 1979-80; Incredible Hulk was a different title, launched in 1982.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Castaways on Planet Doom and Little 'Orror, respectively. Rentaghost was by Brian Walker, who also used the same characters in Scream Inn, I think... By the great Ken Reid, who also created Faceache and Frankie Stein!
    There's some really great stuff, there! I loved Star Wars Weekly, too. Though it was Hulk Comic that Night Raven appeared in, back in 1979-80; Incredible Hulk was a different title, launched in 1982.

It's the 1979-80 Hulk comic I was talking about there, which as you said, featured Night Raven. He was a superb character, the mysterious vigilante of Prohibition America. That mask made him so enigmatic, and that curious self-heating branding device in his hand, which he used to brand criminals foreheads with, gave it an implied science-fiction touch. Unfortunately, the comic stopped being published, or our newsagent stopped stocking it, before we actually found out who he was.

Regarding the Deathlok strip, in Star Wars, featuring the half-man, half-robot mercenary, wasn't that a gory one? It's really quite surprising they got away with some of the scenes in that in a children's comic!

Warlock, in Star Wars comic, was absolutely first rate as well, although rather pretentiously metaphysical and philosophical. Remember Pip the Troll, in that story? I was quite surprised to see him as an animated cartoon character in the video for Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream, in 1989, some ten years after I'd last seen Pip in Warlock.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the 1979-80 Hulk comic I was talking about there, which as you said, featured Night Raven. He was a superb character, the mysterious vigilante of Prohibition America. That mask made him so enigmatic, and that curious self-heating branding device in his hand, which he used to brand criminals foreheads with, gave it an implied science-fiction touch. Unfortunately, the comic stopped being published, or our newsagent stopped stocking it, before we actually found out who he was.
    The comic ceased publication after 63 issues, but Night Raven continued to appear (albeit in text stories) for some years in various of the Marvel monthlies like The Daredevils, Marvel Superheroes and Savage Action. It took another couple of decades before we learned his origin, though-in an American Marvel comic called Death Duty, starring the Black Widow. Oddly enough, he was actually a Native American-and his name really was 'Night Raven'...

Regarding the Deathlok strip, in Star Wars, featuring the half-man, half-robot mercenary, wasn't that a gory one? It's really quite surprising they got away with some of the scenes in that in a children's comic!
    It was originally published in the US Marvel comic Amazing Adventures, which I think was aimed at a slightly older age group, but Marvel UK really didn't talk down to kids or censor anything very much. The largest concession they'd make to British kids (or their parents) sensibilities was to white out any overt nudity. The editor responsible for that job was Neil Tennant, later to find some minor fame as one half of The Pet Shop Boys.

Warlock, in Star Wars comic, was absolutely first rate as well, although rather pretentiously metaphysical and philosophical. Remember Pip the Troll, in that story? I was quite surprised to see him as an animated cartoon character in the video for Tom Petty's Runnin' Down a Dream, in 1989, some ten years after I'd last seen Pip in Warlock.

Pip is still around in the American comics. He's currently appearing in Peter David's X-Men spinoff series, X-Factor. Though he's never been as good as he was in Warlock, a genuinely mindblowing series.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

One Eyed Jack, about the uncompromising US detective was a great strip! I think its fairly safe to say the creator of that had watched a lot of Dirty Harry and Death Wish! One Eyed Jack looked just like Clint Eastwood, only with fair hair and an eye-patch. He had Dirty Harry's official detective status, looks, laconic personality and wise cracking abilities and maverick tendencies, and Charles Bronson's extreme violence, total courage in the face of odds, and no-holds-barred approach. I recall Jack had a partner, called Novak, who ended up getting killed after a couple of years, which I recall thinking was an unusual thing to happen to a long-standing character.

Another strip I loved from Star Wars was the Star Lord strip. Also, a strip I enjoyed in the 80s Eagle featured a world of the near-future in which fossil fuels are gone, and our energy requirements provided by satellite transmissions from solar panels in orbit. When this system gets disrupted, we lose all electrical power, and the world returns to a medieval and barbaric state as a consequence, and the strip focusses on one man fighting a battle for good in a medieval-type post-modern world, with some hangovers from modernity, such as vats of acid, and guns.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    One Eyed Jack, about the uncompromising US detective was a great strip! I think its fairly safe to say the creator of that had watched a lot of Dirty Harry and Death Wish! One Eyed Jack looked just like Clint Eastwood, only with fair hair and an eye-patch. He had Dirty Harry's official detective status, looks, laconic personality and wise cracking abilities and maverick tendencies, and Charles Bronson's extreme violence, total courage in the face of odds, and no-holds-barred approach. I recall Jack had a partner, called Novak, who ended up getting killed after a couple of years, which I recall thinking was an unusual thing to happen to a long-standing character.

Another strip I loved from Star Wars was the Star Lord strip. Also, a strip I enjoyed in the 80s Eagle featured a world of the near-future in which fossil fuels are gone, and our energy requirements provided by satellite transmissions from solar panels in orbit. When this system gets disrupted, we lose all electrical power, and the world returns to a medieval and barbaric state as a consequence, and the strip focusses on one man fighting a battle for good in a medieval-type post-modern world, with some hangovers from modernity, such as vats of acid, and guns.

That would be The Tower King, a great strip by Alan Hebden and Jose Ortiz. More info here:
    http://britishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/The_Tower_King