Coronation Street - Suspension of Reality (Part 7)

Comments

• HarkAtHerHarkAtHer Posts: 2,099
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FionnB wrote: »
    Why is Norris still lodging at Emily's anyway? He must have plenty of money from the shop. Look how rich it made Rita!

:D:D:D
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's insane to see characters in the cafe having breakfast every morning, and the Rovers and Bistro full every day as if this is still the late 1990s and there is no recession on.

Interestingly, when the financial crash hit Ireland in 2008, there were (and are) constant references on the main Irish soap opera to the effects it was having on the various characters. I don't think we've heard any such discussions on CS apart from the occasional character being a bit short of money, and even then this is never directly connected to the current recession.
    In Corrie land, it's common practise for someone to 'keep the change'.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Eurostar wrote: »
    It's insane to see characters in the cafe having breakfast every morning, and the Rovers and Bistro full every day as if this is still the late 1990s and there is no recession on.

Interestingly, when the financial crash hit Ireland in 2008, there were (and are) constant references on the main Irish soap opera to the effects it was having on the various characters. I don't think we've heard any such discussions on CS apart from the occasional character being a bit short of money, and even then this is never directly connected to the current recession.

There is on corrie but nothing ever comes of it. For example chesney was short of cash a while back because the market stall wasnt doing well. But he and katy still had roys rolls every morning, and managed to find enough money to go to the rovers.

Jason got his van torched by karl and lost all his tools in the fire. He couldnt afford to buy new stuff because he couldnt get any jobs because he had no transport or tools. Yet the other day hes seen picking tim up in his own van and he even managed to have the name of his business on it!

So in corrie land characters reference that they have no money, or no jobs yet still manage things like bistro meals, loads of nights out in the rovers, and coffees at cafes.
  • Brummie Girl Brummie Girl Posts: 22,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    syncage wrote: »
    i don't understand the plan for the lighter. surely leaving it there is a risk simon would find it and come to harm....was that the intention, I thought David for all his craziness was at least kind towards kids!
    Thumbolina wrote: »
    It is Peter's lighter. David is making it look as though Peter has been round to the flat unbeknown to Nick. Or that Peter is the one who trashed the flat. Or both.

David wants Nick to believe that Peter and Leanne are still seeing each other.

Syncage your point that you made is still a good one even though at the time you wrote your post you didn't quite understand what David's plan was with the lighter and why he planted it in Nick & Leanne's sofa. What if Simon gets to it first and may start a fire? Simon is I think 9 or 10 years old now so hopefully he is old enough to understand the implications of playing with fire but you never know.
  • IgguldenIggulden Posts: 51
    Forum Member
    Makson wrote: »
    Sylvia asked Hayley was there any red cabbage, Hayley says there is some in the cupboard, Sylvia goes to the cupboard and takes out a huge jar...:confused:
    I never heard of cabbage in a jar before

until I came to Germany I had never heard of red cabbage NOT being in a jar !
    :)
  • jsmith99jsmith99 Posts: 20,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    Sylvia asked Hayley was there any red cabbage, Hayley says there is some in the cupboard, Sylvia goes to the cupboard and takes out a huge jar...:confused:
    I never heard of cabbage in a jar before

The only red cabbage I've heard of is pickled, so where else would you keep it?
  • daisydeedaisydee Posts: 39,590
    Forum Member
    jsmith99 wrote: »
    The only red cabbage I've heard of is pickled, so where else would you keep it?

Ooh - pickled red cabbage! We always had a big jar of it in the cupboard in my youth in the North. I'd forgotten all about it, wonder if I still like it
    Mushy peas is another recent re discovery, I must have gone all posh since moving East. :p
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can honestly that I have never in my life said 'Keep the change'
  • sam_geesam_gee Posts: 48,855
    Forum Member
    Can't believe Deirdre would take the dog to the Red Rec on her own when it was so dark. Eccles wouldn't have been much help if those lads on bikes had attacked her
  • ubermanuberman Posts: 2,221
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Roy wants to catch someone letting themselves into the cafe and rearranging stuff, so he puts up a cctv, good idea, but he puts it up when the cafe's open n anyone can see him doin it n doesn't keep quiet about it! :rolleyes:
  • ewoodieewoodie Posts: 26,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Norris and Emily's will/house.

Didn't we have the same SL a few years back? Norris was looking for Emily's will. She found out and told him she'd left the house to him or something like that.
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Often in a charity shop items are priced at 99p, and will tell them to put the change in their collecting box (I am so generous!!). However, wouldn't do the same in Tesco - although they are currently collecting for Diabetes UK, a worthy cause.
  • priscillapriscilla Posts: 34,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has Katy ever gone to see Jake, the only time I ever saw her in the hospital was when Jake was born. Ever since she shacked up with Ryan she hardly interacts with her family.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sam_gee wrote: »
    Can't believe Deirdre would take the dog to the Red Rec on her own when it was so dark. Eccles wouldn't have been much help if those lads on bikes had attacked her

I was thinking the same thing. At this time of year it isn't completely dark like that until 10.30pm or even later. Considering that Sylvia and Hayley went out before tea time, they must have stayed out for hours and hours. And as you say, I really doubt that Deirdre would be walking Eccles around the Red Rec at that time of night.
  • StigidStigid Posts: 2,392
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It speeds up the action !!

And saves having to work out how much the change is...

I'm sure Norris & Roy would proffer the exact amount.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't believe Deirdre would be walking the dog that late either, but I assume that was either a filler scene of some kind or it was originally Ken who found Roy rather than Deirdre.
  • Janet43Janet43 Posts: 8,008
    Forum Member
    priscilla wrote: »
    Has Katy ever gone to see Jake, the only time I ever saw her in the hospital was when Jake was born. Ever since she shacked up with Ryan she hardly interacts with her family.
    She went to the hospital when Tina went into labour and was told, in no uncertain times, to get lost by her family. They don't approve of her living with Ryan, so I doubt that she'd be welcome now.
  • Beautiful_HarvBeautiful_Harv Posts: 9,144
    Forum Member

no even in a taxi?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    sam_gee wrote: »

I wouldn't like to meet Eccles on a dark night, I can tell you :eek:
    Does anyone else remember a few years back when they first got him, he kept trying to bite Ken?
    I reckon old Ecc would've seen anyone off, and if not, there's always the trusty chain belt for Dierdre to whip off and twirl around her head, cowboy-style..... :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 50
    Forum Member
    And would sleepwalker Roy really have picked up his (presumably empty) shopping bag before leaving home? :confused:
  • MartinRosenMartinRosen Posts: 33,063
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no even in a taxi?

What about a hairdresser that you use regularly? No tip, and expect a bad cut next time ;)
  • Karen1969Karen1969 Posts: 822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    priscilla wrote: »

She insinuated to Izzy at the reopening of the pub when Izzy was slagging of Ryan that maybe Gary was up to something and then Izzy confronted Tina and Gary, so they blamed Katy for more or less telling Izzy that Gary was being unfaithful.
  • coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was Roy's CCTV system recording the video footage to the laptop? The laptop was closed before they opened it to watch the footage, so wouldn't it not be able to record when closed as the laptop would be in hibernating mode.
  • davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    no even in a taxi?

Admittedly, yes i have in a taxi
    What about a hairdresser that you use regularly? No tip, and expect a bad cut next time ;)

No never at the hairdressers/barbers.

I do sometimes give a tip to the person who delivers our Chinese on a Friday night too, so scrub my original comment. :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    That booze David and Nick were enjoying in the Rovers was probably water or lemonade :D..It cant be real booze the actors drink..Same in all soaps..Emily has her sherry , but probably ribena :D..also Rita and G&T is most likely just lemonade lol
This discussion has been closed.