Options

which do you prefer classic emmerdale or new emmerdale?

missemmerdale22missemmerdale22 Posts: 713
Forum Member
✭✭
which emmerdale do you prefer new or classic emmerdale? i prefer classic

Comments

• Options
    bhvictorybhvictory Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    both - they're as good as each other.

Think of it like this, in 20 years from now, episodes running at the moment will be "classic Emmerdale". As for the future we'll just have to keep watching..... :)
  • Options
    Shane ParrishShane Parrish Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emmerdale 1990s were good for me. The show would truly be good again if Kim Tate was brought back.
  • Options
    CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think it's fair to class soaps as old and new or "classic."

There are 'eras' but it's a sort of natural evolution.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »
    I don't think it's fair to class soaps as old and new or "classic."

There are 'eras' but it's a sort of natural evolution.

precisely! :)
  • Options
    tenchgirltenchgirl Posts: 11,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i enjoy it now as much as i always have. I think its come on leaps and bounds sincer Turner left as EP. Its a pity we lost Gavin he was really making it the strongest of the 3 big soaps on a regular basis. I dont like this Kelly Windsor return though and think it lets it down. They should never have brought her back. The show moves on and some returnee characters have no place there. Other than Kellie I dont have many complaints other than theres far too much reliance on cain and charity with the same storyline alot.
  • Options
    Hound of LoveHound of Love Posts: 80,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tenchgirl wrote: »
    i enjoy it now as much as i always have. I think its come on leaps and bounds sincer Turner left as EP. Its a pity we lost Gavin he was really making it the strongest of the 3 big soaps on a regular basis. I dont like this Kelly Windsor return though and think it lets it down. They should never have brought her back. The show moves on and some returnee characters have no place there. Other than Kellie I dont have many complaints other than theres far too much reliance on cain and charity with the same storyline alot.

Agreed...Debbie should have stayed in Jersey, too
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've just been watching some of Anita Turner's episodes and they were quite entertaining....

Cot death storyline was excellently acted and true to life.

She handled Jack's funeral very well.

Shane's murder and Victoria falling through the ice was great too.

She also introduced a new farming family to fill the void left by the Sugdens and introduced the Wyldes gave the show some fantastic drama....

I think Anita was very underrated..... :)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhvictory wrote: »
    I've just been watching some of Anita Turner's episodes and they were quite entertaining....

Cot death storyline was excellently acted and true to life.

She handled Jack's funeral very well.

Shane's murder and Victoria falling through the ice was great too.

She also introduced a new farming family to fill the void left by the Sugdens and introduced the Wyldes gave the show some fantastic drama....

I think Anita was very underrated..... :)

Cot death was very well acted, but it was ruined by the baby swap twist

The new farming family (old man and grandson) was dull and didn't last

I'll let Turner off regarding the Wyldes, particularly Natasha and Nathan...and Jack's funeral...
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't want to wander into some 'good old days' style rant, but... Emmerdale really was better pre-2009.

I am still a fan but there are a number of serious problems:
    • A lot of the characters are very disparate and don't intermingle; it's like watching half-a-dozen micro soaps. The Dingles is one micro-soap, the Bartons another, Aaron/Jackson another; there's very little interaction between different sets of characters
    • Some characters, such as the Maceys and the Bartons, are very underdeveloped and two-dimensional, particularly Moira
    • Some of the actors are not up to scratch. Hannah and Holly Barton are both appalling. The Maceys are weak actors
    • Some of the show's best actors, such as Laurel, Chas, Carl, Moira and Nicola - are given material way below their abilities
    • The scripts and dialogue are often tinder dry and lack any kind of believable humour or ad-lib feel
    • Some bad storylines so far this year: the post office fire, Viv and Terry's exit, Henshall's hostaging of Katie, Kelly's return - all badly done
    • There is just no atmosphere on set! It all feels very flat, compared to the energetic feel of 'the other two'
    Yet what little is good is REALLY good and I enjoy watching for those good things. But the problems listed above are serious and prescient and if they are left to fester, I genuinely fear for Emmerdale's future long-term.

It used to be as prominent as Corrie and Enders, but lately it feels invisible and history has taught me that's not a agood sign. :(
  • Options
    Joline44Joline44 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed...Debbie should have stayed in Jersey, too

yes please :D maybe there she would do something about her awful roots :mad:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cot death was very well acted, but it was ruined by the baby swap twist

The new farming family (old man and grandson) was dull and didn't last

I'll let Turner off regarding the Wyldes, particularly Natasha and Nathan...and Jack's funeral...

When I said farming family, I was actually referring to the Bartons.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bhvictory wrote: »
    When I said farming family, I was actually referring to the Bartons.

In that case, I stand corrected...Pa Barton, in particular, is a favourite of mine;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In that case, I stand corrected...Pa Barton, in particular, is a favourite of mine;)

I liked Mick and Lee Naylor too, but I believe they were only meant to be brought in as temps.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    I prefer this year's cast but I would like to see more sensationalist storylines like explosions and crashes, mixed with the family groups developing through weddings, and I think we should get a new family or a blast from the past like they did with Charity in 2009.