Options

Why would anyone buy sky/virgin/bt etc broadband when you can get 3s one plan for £15

andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
Forum Member
£15 per month with unlimited tethering and just as fast if not faster speeds, and with 4g rolling out soon free of charge too.

£15 per month is the best broadband deal I can find (you also get 2000 minutes with this too)

Comments

• Options
    ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I get 1Mbit/s download via Three on the One Plan at home. 38Mbit/s download with Sky.
  • Options
    hammersmithhammersmith Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    People need internet throughout the entire house, kids in their bedrooms, mum in kitchen, dad in living room streaming tv, xbox in rec room, etc.

Huddling together in a corner tethered to a mobile phone doesn't quite recreate that experience.
  • Options
    pericompericom Posts: 6,026
    Forum Member
    £15 per month with unlimited tethering and just as fast if not faster speeds, and with 4g rolling out soon free of charge too.

£15 per month is the best broadband deal I can find (you also get 2000 minutes with this too)

Because of poor reception.

Bad ping times.

and people can get faster speeds, I get 120Mbits no problem.
  • Options
    PudpullerTMPudpullerTM Posts: 1,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People need internet throughout the entire house, kids in their bedrooms, mum in kitchen, dad in living room streaming tv, xbox in rec room, etc.

Huddling together in a corner tethered to a mobile phone doesn't quite recreate that experience.

you can buy a 3g router but there are still major disadvantages
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because wireless, even 4G, doesn't work well if everyone tried to connect to it and use it in the same way we use our own internet connections. In some areas it is bad enough with just the number of mobile phones around - like central London - that the speeds you'd get are well below what you could get from cable, ADSL or fibre, and that's without millions of people trying to tether.

You'd also find that if everyone actually did try to use the One plan to do it, 3 would probably take it away quickly. They offer it on the basis that you use it occasionally, not as a permanent internet connection.

In some places a controlled 4G network is being considered and tested as a replacement for landlines and slow ADSL. But this is with the number of users being strictly controlled and the network designed for permanent use in a home or business, no mobile phones allowed.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess reliability is the major thing here.

my phone is on the one plan - but I wouldn't be without my home broadband.

I couldn't rely on mobile phone tethering to supply my entire household!

maybe if I lived on my own, in a flat, I might think about it - but its really not suitable for the needs of an entire family with lots of connected devices.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

3 isn't available in everyone's area. It's not available at the exchange in my nearest town.

Edit: Ah, you're talking about 3G. I thought you meant an ISP that provided a service along a landline.
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on the one plan but use Virgin Media at home for a rock solid connection.
  • Options
    HurlleyHurlley Posts: 2,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ping would not be good i imagine and reliability, wouldn't mind being proven wrong though.
  • Options
    deefrag2003deefrag2003 Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    The ping for 3 in my area isn't too bad but the speed is so unstable.
    Ping is usually in the 40s to low 60s but the speed ranges anywhere from 0.5mb to 12mb

I'll stick with my 80mb fiber cheers :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33
    Forum Member
    Must be having a laugh right? I would rather have my 120 meg BB from virgin media than be on 3 mobile. The signal is shocking in my area. I wouldn't recommend anyone to do this 3 tethering with a pc. As for 4g at the moment it's having a few problems as 4g has been on bbc watch dog
  • Options
    Rossby41Rossby41 Posts: 955
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Because my experiences with mobile broadband haven't been that quick, so they wouldn't suit my streaming demands. Also I get around 50 meg through fttc.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 742
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    3G is not meant to be a primary connection for example online gaming is not always good with it due to the ping times.

Also when a cell site is overloaded its slows down alot but with cable/BT broadband there is more bandwidth at the node.
  • Options
    coolercooler Posts: 13,024
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How long has it been £15 for? The last time I heard the cheapest one plan was about £25/month.

Also, if the one plan is £15/month for unlimited, why are Three still charging £15.99/month for only 15GB/month usage for mobile broadband via a dongle?

If Three only offer it on the basis that you can use it occasionally as moox says, then how does anyone know how many GB's of data they can use per month via tethering?
  • Options
    QuackersQuackers Posts: 4,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do know its not just about how many Megabits per second the speed is? Latency is a lot lot lower on ADSL/Fibre.
  • Options
    mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Quackers wrote: »
    You do know its not just about how many Megabits per second the speed is? Latency is a lot lot lower on ADSL/Fibre.

The latency difference isn't that high compared to ADSL or fibre - maybe 30 or 40ms. Meaningless unless you're a very picky online gamer.

Jitter would be the real killer, and that can change depending on signal strength/quality and how much demand on the cell.
  • Options
    Admiral StarAdmiral Star Posts: 2,114
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Because 3G simply isn't fast enough for a lot of people. People who have a high Internet usage aren't really suitable for 3G. Gaming online is no good with 3G. Some of us need a stable connection especially when working from home. I don't want to be huddled around a mobile phone. I'm pretty sure unlimited wont mean unlimited and you'd soon get messages from your mobile provider moaning about your usage. Not practical.

I wouldn't swap my fibre optic broadband for 4G either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Unlimited broadband on BT is £16/month so it's virtually the same price as the one plan anyway.
  • Options
    noise747noise747 Posts: 30,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Because 3G simply isn't fast enough for a lot of people. People who have a high Internet usage aren't really suitable for 3G. Gaming online is no good with 3G. Some of us need a stable connection especially when working from home. I don't want to be huddled around a mobile phone. I'm pretty sure unlimited wont mean unlimited and you'd soon get messages from your mobile provider moaning about your usage. Not practical.

I wouldn't swap my fibre optic broadband for 4G either.

I tethered my laptop to my phone today, the first time I ever done it and it worked ok to be honest, but doing a speed test gave me 5Mb/s, so not as fast as the broadband I use here at home, and i expect would cost more in the long run.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    I tethered my laptop to my phone today, the first time I ever done it and it worked ok to be honest, but doing a speed test gave me 5Mb/s, so not as fast as the broadband I use here at home, and i expect would cost more in the long run.

Did you tether your phone to the laptop wirelessly or via usb? Is the speed exactly the same either way?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 180
    Forum Member
    Is it truly unlimited?
  • Options
    eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    No signal here also 75Mbps fibre at home.
  • Options
    DANCE OF DEATHDANCE OF DEATH Posts: 4,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live the only mobile company with a decent signal is T-mobile/EE. Anyway I get 78meg download through BT which is fast enough to have 4 laptops, 4 mobile phones and a tablet connect to it.
  • Options
    Gary_LandyFanGary_LandyFan Posts: 3,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where I live the only mobile company with a decent signal is T-mobile/EE. Anyway I get 78meg download through BT which is fast enough to have 4 laptops, 4 mobile phones and a tablet connect to it.
    Mobile Broadband is perfectly fine if you only do the occasional browsing on one device, but when you have multiple devices in the home, Mobile BB is far from ideal, especially if more than one is going to be used at one time.
  • Options
    IntrakotaIntrakota Posts: 155
    Forum Member
    I have two of 3UK's One plan here, currently with speeds of 27Mb DL and 3.9Mb UL it seems that mobile data is finally coming of age.
    It will be very interesting to see what happens when 4G takes to the air early next year, it should give the fixed line operators a run for their money, a high speed connection being of no use if your not there to use it.