Options

What was your most important story of the week?

MajlisMajlis Posts: 31,362
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With questions being asked about the inordinate amount of time spent by the BBC on Ed Miliband's spat with the Daily Mail, I wondered how many forum members also thought it was the most important story of the week. I'm not interested in rehashing the details of the actual spat or even of whether the BBC is biased - thats for another thread - just want to know whether it was your most important story?

"In a week which saw the Conservative Party conference, the drowning in the Mediterranean of hundreds of African immigrants, and the shutdown of the US government, the row was the biggest story for the BBC by far."

the Miliband spat was the most important issue for me 67 votes

Yes
31% 21 votes
No
68% 46 votes

Comments

• Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Looking at the newspaper front pages for the week only one paper (The Times on Friday) had it as the lead story - otherwise only the Guardian had it as second story on Wed & Sat.

Diana got more coverage....:eek:
  • Options
    rusty123rusty123 Posts: 22,872
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's no way the Miliband story was the most "important" bit of news - it was a sideshow.

Is the question and that rather daft poll just a lame excuse for yet another thread about Miliband snr?
  • Options
    dosanjh1dosanjh1 Posts: 8,727
    Forum Member
    This was an important story that revealed insights in to what British values are, what patriotism is and the role the Daily Mail plays in defining this.

I put yes on the poll but it should be no because the migrants death and shutdown are more important but the Miliband spat is the most important that directly effects the UK.
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a tough one to call.

The Mail's attempts to slur Ed's dad, and their reaction to him standing up for himself was actually a story about how the print media conducts itself, which isn't very well. Whatever Ed's dad thought of the country isn't really the issue, but the fact one of the biggest selling newspapers in the country deliberately wanted to manipulate public opinion so crassly is.

There has been a considerable amount of coverage of the shut-down in America and the deaths of the migrants, so I don't think there is anything to complain about there.

The Telegraph isn't exactly known for being politically neutral, so even if it doesn't stoop to the levels of the Mail, it will have hated Ed being seen as more human. It is also most similar to the Mail than any other paper, in that it is prone to a good health scare, thinks Kate Middleton wearing a pretty dress is front page news, and takes any opportunity to have a dig at the left.

It will have been struggling to know what to say on the issue. It needs to stay at arms' length from the Mail, to avoid getting tarred with the same brush, but it doesn't want to be too forceful in condemning them either, so the next best thing is to have a go at the BBC.
  • Options
    barky99barky99 Posts: 3,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    most important with biggest follow on is going on in Washington DC .... Milliband is but a sideshow
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably the most prominent story from a discussion point of view, in terms of national and global influence obviously not. However it was all so unnecessary, and brought the Daily Mail attention it could really have done without given its previous history and the perception the wider public have of it already. Even its own readership, hardly leftie sympathisers, were taken aback by it and its narrative fell to pieces almost immediately.

The Tory conference is unravelling already, on one hand a promise from Shallow Dave to be on the side of working people, within a week Jeremey (H)#unt planning to cancel the 1% pay rise for NHS staff, and even talking about ending contractual service related pay rises.

Like I said yesterday, its like planet Tory is slowing turning into the Republicans, and I suspect the results will be the same, loathed and alienated from the wider electorate.
  • Options
    warlordwarlord Posts: 3,292
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ed is inspired by his father's ideas.
    His father believed in an economic system that caused millions of people to starve and a political system that put millions in prison camps and mental hospitals.
    So it is a big story.
  • Options
    Phil 2804Phil 2804 Posts: 21,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    warlord wrote: »
    His father believed in an economic system that caused millions of people to starve and a political system that put millions in prison camps and mental hospitals.
    So it is a big story.

How many millions of people have died because of the excesses of capitalism?
  • Options
    GreatGodPanGreatGodPan Posts: 53,186
    Forum Member
    warlord wrote: »
    So it is a big story.

Funny, I've never seen a reference to him supporting that in his writings........

Is that what he wanted for the UK?:rolleyes:

It was a big story inasmuch as it showed the Right wing British press as being red in tooth and claw in their opposition to and misinformation about those who want to create a fairer society based on equality and democracy.

They reduce debate to a schoolboy "all Marxists must believe in authoritarian suffering" level and constantly refer to Stalin.(Why?:confused:) The last thing they want is intelligent discussion about the system we live in at present, merely keeping going the fires that fuel puerile party politics that support that same system.
  • Options
    Jem19876Jem19876 Posts: 2,104
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Phil 2804 wrote: »
    Probably the most prominent story from a discussion point of view, in terms of national and global influence obviously not.

That's the nub of it. It's the story that generated most debate, because it was all about morality and interpretation and claims and counter-claims.

I would argue that the impact of a badly behaved press is important, and therefore influential, which was part of the broader discussion, but one dodgy story itself isn't a huge deal.

The horrible drowning of the migrants was a big shock to us all, but virtually everyone would agree it was awful, so there was't so much to say. We're beginning to get more on the bigger picture aspects of the story of how and why people end up in that kind of danger. The story isn't over.

The shut-down in America was pretty big news, and did get a lot of coverage, but most of the discussion from the general public was one of shock that they could do such a thing, followed by general eye-rolling at "stupid Americans", and their aversion to a proper health-care system.

The volume of coverage a news story gets is based on much more than how important it is.
  • Options
    Sniffle774Sniffle774 Posts: 20,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ridiculous side show with hypocrisy and faux outrage a plenty from both sides with this summing up, IMO, everything that is puerile and ridiculous about the media obsessed Westminster village.

Ed had a right to be upset but in the end I believe this was strung out to take the focus off the Tory conferance.
  • Options
    PrestonAlPrestonAl Posts: 10,342
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wasn't the most important issue, but it was good PR for Miliband.
  • Options
    jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    For the majority of us the news media is where we get our information about the world. To have a newspaper using unfounded innuendo to try and slur one of the prospective candidates for the 2015 Prime Minister job should not be permissible.

The problem is that as the delivery of news is becoming free due to the internet then the outlets need different methods to get sales and web-clicks. Delivering news is not enough - delivering campaigns is the way they have moved with the times. The Mail goes after one section of society as does the Mirror.

The bias is no longer a mouthpiece for the newspapers owner but something that responds to the marketplace and this is dangerous. The Mail should be content pulling apart Milibands and Labour's policies - there are enough holes in them - rather than this disgraceful incident.
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Majlis wrote: »

Regardless of the fact that the bulk of the BBC's reporting on Miliband had happened BEFORE the drownings & the US situation.

Used a biased source to accuse another source of bias lol.
  • Options
    CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The DM/Miliband thing was an annoyance but the benefit reforms are of far more importance then an issue between a man and the Media.

Benefit reforms including putting people to slavery affects a far wider ranging group and could alter the ability of school leavers and those at the bottom rung into true poverty and suffering.
  • Options
    twogunthomtwogunthom Posts: 2,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A man married a banana, according to the daily Sport, how can the church determine the sexual orientation of fruit and veg. Should marriage between people and foodstuffs be tolerated,?
  • Options
    OLD HIPPY GUYOLD HIPPY GUY Posts: 28,199
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Probably not the most important story, but a good one as it (yet again) showed up the hate Mail for the scum that it is,
    regardless of a person's politics, it's utterly despicable to 'go after' someone's dead father (based on a diary entry made when he was 16/17) and to 'sneak in to' a family memorial service in the hope of digging up some 'dirt' in order to smear the leader of a political party, and to accuse a man who fought for this country of "hating it" When the founder of the very SAME, ..... 'news' paper supported Hitler and the Nazis,
    I know some 'righties' will sneer, But I would say exactly the same had the Mirror or guardian done the same thing to Cameron,
    How low can they go, and what sort of person could defend such behaviour?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only important news stories are the ones the press want to present to us, or are allowed to do so.
    It's gone pretty quiet on Syria at the moment - Until the powers that be decide they want it to be front page again and focus the masses attention onto certain 'selected' aspects.
    In the meantime the upper echelons of British society continue to orchestrate their attacks on the disadvantaged sections of the populace whilst deflecting attention away from their own nefarious activities.
  • Options
    LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Been quite a big news week. I think the US shutdown has to be the story of the week for me though. It shows just how dysfunctional the two big parties over there have become. Putting party politics and point scoring way ahead of the country. Our parties are much the same, though they haven't gone that far yet, and I'm not even sure if that would be possible here for a childish spat to close down government, what with the head of state being the Queen and all.

I think for many in the country, the biggest story of the week was the coverage of that child abuse trail, certainly that's all my mother wants to talk about.
  • Options
    NosediveNosedive Posts: 6,602
    Forum Member
    The Ed Milliband stuff was a complete non story for me. It was tabloid newspapers being tabloid newspapers. That is why I stick to the broadsheets.
  • Options
    Jol44Jol44 Posts: 21,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    By far the most important story this week was the admission by the Tory party that they pretty much wish to dismantle social security.

It is very clear now that a Tory future would mean little to no support for those unfortunate enough to find themselves unemployed.

It would mean the end of support fot at least a generation, as the cost of setting back up such destruction would be such a hurdle of any party to encounter. A Tory party majority would pretty much mean the end of any security when out of work, and it's hard to see how any incoming party could bring it back.
  • Options
    gummy mummygummy mummy Posts: 26,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most important political story, and the one that the media should have focused on , was the one that shows that in the future the poor, the young the sick and the disabled will have to beg, steal or borrow to survive if the Tories win the 2015 GE, with or without the Lib Dems.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Regardless of the fact that the bulk of the BBC's reporting on Miliband had happened BEFORE the drownings & the US situation.

Used a biased source to accuse another source of bias lol.

But that wasn't the question was it. I specifically said that questions of bias were for another thread, so why you were trying to have a pop at me I'm unsure.

So do you think it was the most important story of the week?
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is the story of the week that the right wing media are now so peeved about Miliband getting the news agenda that they've decided to elevate it to a discussion that it shouldn't have been? - and they can have a go at the BBC at the same time to cheer them up. And in this quest they can be relied on to get their drones such as Majlis to help support them on Forums such as this.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    And in this quest they can be relied on to get their drones such as Majlis to help support them on Forums such as this.

why do left wingers always get personal;? :confused: