Options

Should I watch Born on the Fourth of July?

loveloveXloveloveX Posts: 4,177
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Always heard about this film but never had the chance or the will to watch it, is it worth it especially as its a true story.

One question the real guy was only a teenager when all this happened right so did tome cruise get away with it playing one? I think ron kovic was only 19/20.

Comments

• Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw this film only once, too many years ago. I remember enjoying the film and that I thought Cruise did a good job. I felt he was believable as an idealism-fuelled patriotic soldier and as an anger-fuelled activist.

I think the film spanned the five- or ten-year period, though? I'm not too sure, to be honest. If anything, it's a typical Oliver Stone film. Worth seeing for the sake of a film experience. I should re-watch it to see if it can pass the test of time.
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, 'Born on the 4th of July' is the second in a trilogy of movies by Oliver Stone about the Vietnam war.
    The first and best one is 'Platoon' , then '4th July' and then 'Heaven and Earth'. It's a good performance by Cruise who doesn't stretch himself much dramatically these days.

Oliver Stone got into movies partly as a result of his experiences in Vietnam Stone was there which provides some degree of authenticity to the movies.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,830
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    loveloveX wrote: »
    Always heard about this film but never had the chance or the will to watch it, is it worth it especially as its a true story.

One question the real guy was only a teenager when all this happened right so did tome cruise get away with it playing one? I think ron kovic was only 19/20.
    Whilst it is a good film, it's hardly one of the '100 films you must see before you die', so if you haven't had the will to watch it up to now, there's not really anything about it to recommend that you probably don't already know. Watch it so you can tick it off your list of films to watch, but it won't change your life.
  • Options
    stripedcatstripedcat Posts: 6,689
    Forum Member
    I saw it a couple of years ago on Film 4. It's pretty decent film. Not preachy. As Stone went to Vietnam, you can sort of see his views present in the film. A good performance from Cruise - who as mentioned doesn't seem to get these challenging roles any more(Magnolia was the last one for him).
  • Options
    Wise BadgerWise Badger Posts: 781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd recommend it. I saw it about a year ago and enjoyed it. Tom Cruise was pretty good in it. And as you mentioned it's a true story which makes it all the more moving.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    decent film. Tom Cruise showed that he could be a very solid actor at this point, breaking away from the pretty boy image he showed he could do drama very well. under rated.
  • Options
    dearmrmandearmrman Posts: 21,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like you I have never had the will to watch it either, and to be honest still haven't.

Heard it is supposed to be good though, I might watch it one day, I might not. If it interests you watch it, if it doesn't why bother.
  • Options
    ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dearmrman wrote: »
    Like you I have never had the will to watch it either, and to be honest still haven't.

Heard it is supposed to be good though, I might watch it one day, I might not. If it interests you watch it, if it doesn't why bother.

that there is some good advice :D
  • Options
    geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great movie, quite harrowing in bits and has some surprisingly light hearted moments also. Acting is good too with Willem Defoe giving a good turn also. The true story aspect also drives it along.

Apart from anything else it's got to be worth watching it just for Cruise shouting at his mother "Big f&*^%^ng erect penis Ma!" :D
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Posts: 14,586
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I saw it when it first came out and think it's definitely well worth watching - if you don't mind abit of 'strong language':)