Danny vs. Ricky, and Jessie vs. Kylie

DandemDandem Posts: 13,259
Forum Member
✭✭
So now that we've had nearly a whole season to digest the changes in the panel, and to see how Ricky and Kylie have adapted to their new roles, what does everybody think retrospectively about these changes?

Honestly, I think Ricky has been a bit of a revelation. I really liked Danny. I get that he was a bit fidgety when listening to performances, and I get that he could get a bit annoying when he was overly enthusiastic. But I enjoyed his critiques, and I thought that he really put in a lot of effort for his acts. I feel that Ricky is equally as hardworking though. He knows how to put his acts over, and for us viewers. I reckon he's also been quite charming and witty. He seems more decisive than Danny as well. How can anyone forget Danny's persistence in asking the others coaches whether they were gonna turn or not?

Jessie vs. Kylie is a bit more difficult for me. I feel like both have really irritating habits. Kylie bothered me during the blinds whenever she would slowly start to rise and tease the crowd by raising her hand above her button. I was just thinking, "If you're gonna turn, just turn". She was a bit theatrical when giving her pitches too, but she seems to have calmed down since she had her team of 12. Jessie was a constant annoyance though. I can't watch Ash Morgan's blind audition, because the image of Jessie sitting at his feet just makes me cringe. She was a bit in-your-face and she didn't strike me as a particularly good coach, coming 4th two years in a row.

So yeah, overall, I reckon we've seen 2 positive changes. What about you guys?

Comments

• lulu glulu g Posts: 52,618
    Forum Member
    My opinion is not too dissimilar to yours. I really liked Danny, and I like Ricky too. I agree he has been a revelation. Overall, I probably still prefer Danny, but I'm fine with Ricky. Kylie I find intensely irritating, but Jessie J could be very irritating too. Overall, I probably prefer Jessie, but not by much.
  • mashitupmashitup Posts: 353
    Forum Member
    Jessie - Danny
  • barlowconnorbarlowconnor Posts: 38,120
    Forum Member
    Danny and Jessie but I don't have Ricky or Kylie.
  • barrcode88barrcode88 Posts: 6,849
    Forum Member
    Ricky - he's straight to the point and blends in very well, unlike Danny who was allegedly having it off with Bo.

Kylie - Ehh she's better than Jessie, she's been fun to watch but hasn't really been a revelation as much much as Ricky has. Plus I really couldn't take Jessie seriously she hasn't achieved that much to be a coach.
  • DUNDEEBOYDUNDEEBOY Posts: 109,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Prefer ricky over Danny but preferred Jessie over kylie who is a dreadful mentor
  • SuperSoaperSuperSoaper Posts: 5,724
    Forum Member
    In the first series I had an obsession with Danny, and now the same thing has happened with Ricky! Must be something about that chair! So I can't really choose between them, except I think Ricky is a more interesting person with more depth to his personality.

I infinitely prefer Kylie Minogue to Jessie J. Kylie has brought warmth to the panel and is of course a lot older and more experienced. Jessie was just really silly and inarticulate a lot of the time.
  • -Jade"-Jade" Posts: 9,017
    Forum Member
    Ricky and Kylie win easily for me.

Kylie not so much because I think she's a great coach (although I do like her and hope she comes back next year), but because of how intensely irritated I was by Jessie - it would've been difficult for them to pick someone I didn't prefer. Kylie waving her hand above the button really winded me up too mind, but post-auditions I've not been annoyed by her at all.

Danny was my joint favourite coach alongside Will in the first two series so I would've expected to miss his presence more, but with Ricky as a comparison point I've realised how annoying Danny could be at times. I like that Ricky just gets on with things rather than dithering over whether to push his button or not, and hasn't been afraid to criticise contestants (particularly in the early stages) but remains warm and friendly with it. Plus I respect that the vast majority of his final 12 were contestants that clearly weren't 'meant' for him, rather than being influenced by the expectation that he would mainly go for rockier singers. Danny was easily influenced by both the other coaches and the crowd, and it made things a bit predictable.
  • hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely Ricky and Kylie for me even though I like Danny and Jessie J
  • carefree_bluecarefree_blue Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    -Jade" wrote: »
    Ricky and Kylie win easily for me.

This.
  • VelusVelus Posts: 25
    Forum Member
    In previous years I liked Danny (although it was irritating how easily Will could play him), but I definitely didn't enjoy Ms J. This year I think both Ricky & Kylie were infinitely better than the people they replaced. I find Ricky's nerves particularly endearing :-)
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Prefer this years pair to last years...Even though Kylie can be a bit OTT, and she made some strange choices.

e.g. Kylie blew her chance of winning it, by not putting Rachael though to the semis.
    Jamie's very good but I can't see him winning.
    She had seemed to be 100% behind Rachael.
    We don't see everything though and maybe something happened 'backstage' which changed her mind.
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I much prefer Ricky and Kylie. I like their personalities and respect their well-informed opinions, and found them both vey easy to warm to.

Jessie J and Danny just made me cringe.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I didn't have any major problems with Danny and Jessie, but personally I prefer Ricky and Kylie. I think Ricky works really well in the judging line up and clearly cares a lot about the show, and I love Kylie's personality, I don't find her irritating at all.
    BillyBoy7 wrote: »
    Prefer this years pair to last years...Even though Kylie can be a bit OTT, and she made some strange choices.

e.g. Kylie blew her chance of winning it, by not putting Rachael though to the semis.
    Jamie's very good but I can't see him winning.
    She had seemed to be 100% behind Rachael.
    We don't see everything though and maybe something happened 'backstage' which changed her mind.

How on earth did you come to that conclusion :confused: Rachael was voted out by the public so clearly that's not the case. Even if Kylie had used her save on her in the quarter finals, which would have been a ridiculous decision imo, then Rachael obviously would have gone in the semi finals as Lee beat her in the public vote and Jamie beat him. Kylie took her way further than she deserved imo, she had an ok voice but was completely ordinary and there was far stronger on her team.
  • nosilauknosilauk Posts: 647
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the actress in Kylie was a great asset for the Voice this year. Ricky has been good value too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen the voice a couple of times (its enjoyable but im not in charge of the remote haha) but I think Ricky is lovely, hes a gent. I did catch a few back when Jessie and Danny were on the show but from what I have seen I like Kylie and Ricky better.
  • musicangelmusicangel Posts: 7,164
    Forum Member
    Danny and kylie Danny needs to get back he can at least sing
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ricky = Embarrassingly Obsequious
    Kylie = Totally Cringeworthy and i used to be a fan until i saw her on this .
  • BillyBoy7BillyBoy7 Posts: 1,514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    _NiallDEE_ wrote: »

How on earth did you come to that conclusion :confused: Rachael was voted out by the public so clearly that's not the case. Even if Kylie had used her save on her in the quarter finals, which would have been a ridiculous decision imo, then Rachael obviously would have gone in the semi finals as Lee beat her in the public vote and Jamie beat him. Kylie took her way further than she deserved imo, she had an ok voice but was completely ordinary and there was far stronger on her team.

I find the betting odds the most reliable method of gauging public opinion.
    Rachael was, until a few days before she left, the firm favourite to win... She was also receiving, as your question implies, solid support from her mentor Kylie.
    Then suddenly two strange things happened... Her odds began to lengthen and she came on and damaged her chances with a very 'non Rachael' like performance.
    In my humble opinion she sang the wrong song, wearing the wrong clothes and was surrounded by dancers which frankly, she didn't need.
    Were these her decisions, or were they someone else's? ... Your guess is as good as mine.... But she had seemed to be so much Kylie's favourite, that I still expected Kylie to 'save' her, on the basis of her previous performances.
    That's why I wondered if something, we didn't hear about, had changed Kylie's mind. Perhaps not.
    Your points about Lee and Jamie are quite valid... Both seem lovely guys and excellent singers... but neither have ever been seen as probable winners, unlike Rachael.
    So if either Jamie or Jermain win the final, I'll be surprised, but delighted for them.
    But the 'old reliable' bookies say it's a 'two horse race' between the two ladies, and if Rachael had still been there, doing what she did to win so much public support in the early weeks, it would probably be a 'three horse race'.

Hope I've explained how I reached "that conclusion" to your satisfaction. :)
  • misslibertinemisslibertine Posts: 14,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jj2 wrote: »
    Ricky = Embarrassingly Obsequious

How so?
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Ricky and Kylie work well, but I had no problem with Danny or Jessie either. Ricky might be my favourite judge ever actually, he's been brilliant :)
  • jj2jj2 Posts: 4,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How so?
    Especially when he is around Will-i-am , but also in general on the show , he just needs to relax and stop trying to hard
  • The FBIThe FBI Posts: 2,205
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really like ricky.

Like kylie but at least Jessie sang live
  • Jim KowalskiJim Kowalski Posts: 4,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jj2 wrote: »
    Especially when he is around Will-i-am , but also in general on the show , he just needs to relax and stop trying to hard

A simple typo and I read a whole new meaning into that ;-)
  • travisbickletravisbickle Posts: 166
    Forum Member
    The FBI wrote: »
    Really like ricky.

Like kylie but at least Jessie sang live

Er, what?! What tosh!

Kylie sang live.
  • 4troy74troy7 Posts: 8,925
    Forum Member
    I preferred Ricky to Danny but I preferred Jessie to Kylie although I did like Kylie.