Fear of dying :(

2»

Comments

• MutterMutter Posts: 3,269
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    I don't know why but every now and then I have a fear of dying/what will happen when I die and I'm really scared :( I know life is long and OK I'm quite young (early 30's) but it seems only yesterday I was in my 20's.. time passes faster, and the thought I won't be able to think, feel, breathe, love and eat one day scares the crap out of me TBH :o:cry:
    Is death painless (if natural)?
    I have no fear of the passing from life to death be it in my sleep. The fear is how?
    When I pass a RTA, I divert my eyes as I respect those who may be dying on the hard gravelled verge with none of their family around them. I hate, yes hate those who slow down to gawp.
  • oathyoathy Posts: 32,638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I used to be scared but having dodged the bullet 3 times now
    the last time was the worse (sepsis) it was painful at the start I face planted the floor and just remember my bridge flying across the bathroom floor.
    fighting the infection was pretty nasty also, I remember a lot of it but when things got really bad My body pretty much became numb and didn't feel much.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10
    Forum Member
    Yes,me too,I don't believe in any afterlife etc,it scares me to know that one day I will cease to exist,the world will carry on but I will be nothing,forever,I'm in my fifties but have worried about this since my teens,I don't undestand people who say they are not bothered etc,if their doctor told them they had a few months left they would crumble.
  • sweetpeanutsweetpeanut Posts: 4,805
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes,me too,I don't believe in any afterlife etc,it scares me to know that one day I will cease to exist,the world will carry on but I will be nothing,forever,I'm in my fifties but have worried about this since my teens,I don't undestand people who say they are not bothered etc,if their doctor told them they had a few months left they would crumble.

No, you would but not me. I was ready and waiting but found a way to cure myself of many illnesses. Now I'm living life to the full, and making great and wonderful memories for my children and grandchildren to remember me by.

Its like I was born again ( corny I know) and given the chance to make more of myself and live a life I never dreamed of.

I wasn't scared before and I am not scared now. No, I dont want to go now, unlike before, but If I go I go with many happy times behind me, and to be honest very curious what is in front ;):D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paralax wrote: »
    I am not worried about being dead, it's getting there that we all fear if we think about it. Personally I don't intend to hang around if I end up with a terminal illness, I am not brave enough to suffer, and I've always fancies seeing Switzerland anyway.

In the end we are all going to die so no point spoiling the time we have worrying about it.

Word up. In my line of work I come into contact with some old people who are living in situations and with illnesses which are bloody awful. Sometimes they tell me that they wish they were dead. It's often difficult to answer, because I can understand completely.

I fear living to a very old age much more than death tbh. The thought of retiring and living another 30 years in possible seclusion, poverty, and lingering poor health is bloody terrifying.
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,695
    Forum Member
    Mutter wrote: »
    I have no fear of the passing from life to death be it in my sleep. The fear is how?
    When I pass a RTA, I divert my eyes as I respect those who may be dying on the hard gravelled verge with none of their family around them. I hate, yes hate those who slow down to gawp.

Good point, I stand corrected that how we get there and what happens is probably the biggest fear for me, I mean when you're dead you don't have to deal with it, I guess. :confused:
    I guess its also scary because its so "unknown" I mean, life just goes on after we die, but we won't know about it ever again. Its not like being able to read about life before you were born in different periods of history. :)
  • Poppy99Poppy99 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    If you spend a lot of time thinking about death and dying you might as well be dead already. Think about life and living instead.
  • fhs man 2fhs man 2 Posts: 7,591
    Forum Member
    I used to worry about what it would feel like but it's like imagining what it feels like to fall asleep there is no direct moment when you realise you are asleep it happens slowly and gradually. It's actually quite nice if you think about probably because I am sleepy right now. :)

Even if it happens suddenly while you are awake or similar then it will still feel the same.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 987
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    We all have souls and while our bodies will one day die. We are all eternal beings.

I recommend reading Michael Newton - Journey of Souls.

I used to get panic attacks and worry about dying all the time in my early twenties. PM if you need to talk. My anxiety was as extreme as yours.

The other responses apart from the book recommendations don't seem helpful at all as this forum is very atheist and out of touch with spiritual and metaphysical subjects. I've studied some philosophy at Uni as well so I know how important this subject is.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Fear of dying, a good idea stops you walking into a road or over a cliff its normal but worrying about it, does you no good, you are going to die, but have a long and great life before the inevitable

I often think of some ones quote "Look on all things beautiful as if it were your last" enjoy your life again as someone said "This is it "