Options

New BBC News trailers

PrinceOfDenmarkPrinceOfDenmark Posts: 2,761
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC seems to have decided that the 10 o'clock news needs to be trailed like it's a soap opera.

Continuity announcer on BBC 2 at 9pm tonight... "A mother is charged with the murder of 3 children, and Bernie Ecclestone stands trial for bribery. Get the latest at 10 o'clock on BBC 1"

Will there ever be an end to the dumbing down? >:(

Comments

• Options
    BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,674
    Forum Member
    I concur. Quite classless really. We rightly expect more from Auntie.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    I switch over just before 6 and usually catch the end of Pointless and they have credit squeezing with the news presenter telling us what's coming up.

Surely people either tune into the news because they want to watch it?
    Would it matter to wait that extra minute where they have the initial headlines before the main titles roll?

I'm slighly annoying by credit squeezing in general so this is a double whammy :p
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Eh? This is hardly a new thing. I rarely watch the BBC but even I've seen over the years them telling you a couple of the main stories before the news is shown. As for going on about dumbing down, sorry, but it's not dumbing down at all. Anyway, put simply, get over yourself. Not like them doing that is going to have any sort of difference on your life.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Eh? This is hardly a new thing. I rarely watch the BBC but even I've seen over the years them telling you a couple of the main stories before the news is shown. As for going on about dumbing down, sorry, but it's not dumbing down at all. Anyway, put simply, get over yourself. Not like them doing that is going to have any sort of difference on your life.

You seem to have entirely missed the point, but thanks for contributing
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    The BBC seems to have decided that the 10 o'clock news needs to be trailed like it's a soap opera.

Continuity announcer on BBC 2 at 9pm tonight... "A mother is charged with the murder of 3 children, and Bernie Ecclestone stands trial for bribery. Get the latest at 10 o'clock on BBC 1"

In what way is it dumbing down?

Seems like a good idea, a quick synopsis so the viewer might decide to stay tuned..viewer might see further news from home and around the world that they might not be aware of and might not have tuned in for otherwise.

How is encouraging people to watch the news, or even just the headlines dumbing down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I haven't missed the point, because there is no point (unless the point is that you're making a fuss out of absolutely nothing at all).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    I concur. Quite classless really. We rightly expect more from Auntie.

You've hit the nail on the head - it is classless.

When the national broadcaster joins the race for the bottom it undermines the valid reasons for its unique status. All part of a larger plan to manage it out of existence I fear :(
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe I'm an F1 fan and didn't know that Bernie Ecclestone has been charged for bribery. That mention has got me tuned in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    You've hit the nail on the head - it is classless.

When the national broadcaster joins the race for the bottom it undermines the valid reasons for its unique status. All part of a larger plan to manage it out of existence I fear :(

The most polite way of putting this, is that you're talking a load of absolute garbage. It's not classless and there's nothing wrong with giving a few seconds snippet of what'll be on the news. I'm absolutely staggered that people consider it classless etc. Get over yourselves.
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's not a great thing to so, promoting news like a must see storyline. Doing an ECP promo over upbeat credit music isn't great either.

A promo read by the newsreader completely separate from anything else, like they always used to do it, is the classy way to do it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There's absolutely nothing wrong with it. Certainly going on about class, dumbing down etc is beyond ridiculous.
  • Options
    carl.waringcarl.waring Posts: 35,705
    Forum Member
    ocav wrote: »
    Maybe I'm an F1 fan and didn't know that Bernie Ecclestone has been charged for bribery. That mention has got me tuned in.
    Oh don't start with common sense and logic. You know how it confuses them :D
  • Options
    David_HillDavid_Hill Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't seen these trailers but reading the op's post, it does sound like a synopsis of a soap opeara lol.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member

Oh don't be so old fashioned, news provision is a very competitive market and it makes sense for broadcasters to do a little razmattaz and hype with it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most polite way of putting this, is that you're talking a load of absolute garbage. It's not classless and there's nothing wrong with giving a few seconds snippet of what'll be on the news. I'm absolutely staggered that people consider it classless etc. Get over yourselves.

Not classless using the murders of three children as a teaser to promote yourself?
    You must have very low standards.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Johnyad wrote: »
    Oh don't be so old fashioned, news provision is a very competitive market and it makes sense for broadcasters to do a little razmattaz and hype with it.

A "three children are murdered by their mother" teaser is simply "a little razmattaz" in a competitive market :o
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 349
    Forum Member
    A "three children are murdered by their mother" teaser is simply "a little razmattaz" in a competitive market :o

Don't be ridiculous, of course that's not what I meant and you know it!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Not classless using the murders of three children as a teaser to promote yourself?

They're not even trying to promote the news, let alone 'tease' people into watching it. Jeez! There's NOTHING wrong with it. Get over yourself. This has been going on for years, yet now you choose to go "wah wah wah whinge whinge whinge"? You don't even have to watch the news if you see that, you may not want to watch the news, but you might be happy enough receiving a very very brief summary on a couple of big stories.
  • Options
    AngusMastAngusMast Posts: 5,153
    Forum Member
    Reminds me of how IRN sometimes tweet a couple of headlines in 1 tweet and it can read like the the two things are linked :)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    News headlines are available on the hour 24 hours a day on the BBC News Channel.
  • Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You don't even have to watch the news if you see that, you may not want to watch the news, but you might be happy enough receiving a very very brief summary on a couple of big stories.
    Then the poster would have to find something else BBC-related to moan & post about.

Next thing he'll be complaining that the actual news headlines are tasteless promotion!
  • Options
    ocavocav Posts: 2,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

You must have a field day with Sky News- install their app on your phone and they send you push notifications to constantly remind you of Oscar Pistorious, that missing flight, the McCanns. Do they have low standards?
  • Options
    leicslad46leicslad46 Posts: 3,370
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I switch over just before 6 and usually catch the end of Pointless and they have credit squeezing with the news presenter telling us what's coming up.

Surely people either tune into the news because they want to watch it?
    Would it matter to wait that extra minute where they have the initial headlines before the main titles roll?

I'm slighly annoying by credit squeezing in general so this is a double whammy :p
    Credit squeezing is spreading across the channels like a unchecked cancer. It is unwanted by the viewers so why do it. It is about time it was stamped out.

There is no need to tell you whats coming up on the news less than a minute before the news is about to start.
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    leicslad46 wrote: »
    There is no need to tell you whats coming up on the news less than a minute before the news is about to start.

Why not?

Not every one tunes in for the news, a viewer might be thinking of changing channels, making a brew and so on but then hears the headlines and stays tuned to catch further information. :o BBC in encouraging people to watch the news shocker. Boooooooooo.

It seems some are basing what others do or should do based solely on their own viewing.

Funny that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ocav wrote: »
    You must have a field day with Sky News- install their app on your phone and they send you push notifications to constantly remind you of Oscar Pistorious, that missing flight, the McCanns. Do they have low standards?
    Yes they do. And that's why it's abhorrent to see the BBC following their lead. If the BBC don't maintain standards then our television will just end up like the US.