Jacob reviews Eurovision 2014

JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,920
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I will really try to make a list this year as well. Thank God only 37 songs.

Have finally listened to them all a few times. Have no idea how to rank them, and should finish the list before Sunday when I leave for CPH. Hm.

In general I think there are very few bad songs. Unfortunately, there are not too many really good ones either :(

Just looked at my list from last year, and was a bit surprised how little it had changed in a year...

Of course you can make comments :)

Comments

• contejascontejas Posts: 8,958
    Forum Member
    Can we have a rating of how much you want to visit the country next year (if it wins)...just to make sure you're not being biased ;)
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    yay :) Enjoyed reading last year :) (even though you put Bonnie last, I think? :mad:!)
  • JaccobabeJaccobabe Posts: 27,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    contejas wrote: »
    Can we have a rating of how much you want to visit the country next year (if it wins)...just to make sure you're not being biased ;)

Oh. Good idea!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    yay :) Enjoyed reading last year :) (even though you put Bonnie last, I think? :mad:!)

Thanks. I had her least yes. Sorry. She seemed very sweet in person though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    37. Poland (X-X-20-27-32)

Not really a big fan of the latest Polish entries after their first 5 songs were all amazing. I am very happy to see them back in the contest with one of the biggest marmite-entries this year. Just wish they had sent something else ;) Parts of the song are quite good, but then it just gets too noisy, repetitive and annoying. It will stand out, and should do quite well in televoting, but when the juries hated Montenegro and Romania last year, I can’t see them going crazy for this either. Still, wouldn’t mind if they qualified.

Yummi-factor (Donatan): 2/10
    I want to go here next year factor: 7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    36. Slovenia (34-12-11-28-3)

It’s not actually a bad song. I just find it quite dull and boring, though it’s better than Estonia and UK last year ;). It doesn’t “give” me anything at all. The flute in the beginning is cute, and she sings well, but we heard it before. A late draw is nice, but being put between Greece and Romania is not. Have a feeling this will be easily forgotten and we might see Slovenia withdraw next year?

I want to go here next year factor: 5/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    35. Spain (13-4-8-7-17)

I was surprised last year to see how much I usually enjoy the Spanish entries, at least before the contest. Not this year, though. The Spanish part in the beginning is so nice. Had they kept it the same way all the way through, it would have been in my top 5. But the English part is extremely repetitive and BORING. Just singing “Dancing In The Rain” 2 million times . Bit shouty in the end too. In a way, I still kinda hope they finish in the top 10, since it seems like they really try this year.

I want to go here next year factor: 8/10
  • Suzy07Suzy07 Posts: 2,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice reviews Jacco. :)

There'll be a few Poland fans upset with you!
  • portugalportugal Posts: 1,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bugger the song reviews.....................The "Yummi" factor is back! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    portugal wrote: »
    Bugger the song reviews.....................The "Yummi" factor is back! :)

I can't imagine any big scorers this year. Maybe Greece.
  • Jem CasperJem Casper Posts: 314
    Forum Member
    I can't imagine any big scorers this year. Maybe Greece.

Don't forget Hersi!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jem Casper wrote: »
    Don't forget Hersi!

My assumption could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure that Jacob only rates other guys on the yummi-Factor :)

Definitely think that Greece will take the highest yummi-factor points this year. The lead singer. Yumm.

http://www.eurovision.tv/save-files/resizes/7f/e7/fa/95/53/4b/fa/b4/b4/2c/ec/9b/fd/7c/8d/3d/freakyfortune-riskykidd-highres-1.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    34. Finland (11-18-39-13-23)

Another song that’s not actually bad, just a tad boring, and it doesn’t really go anywhere. A bit anonymous. They are young, and the song is different from most others. They will probably get a lot of votes from teenage girls, but not sure if it’s enough to reach the final.

Yummi-factor (average): 6/10

I want to go here next year factor: 1/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    33. Estonia (37-1-4-33-4)

Bit of a hit or miss country in Eurovision for me. Last year’s entry was incredibly boring. This year it’s slightly better, but not much. Took me forever to remember the song, which I now finally do after 8 listens or so. I don’t feel the resemblance to Euphoria or Glorious, but like Slovenia, it doesn’t give me anything at all. She sings well, and it’s a good performance. Could very well qualify.

Yummi-factor (dancer): 7/10

I want to go here next year factor: 7/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    32. Romania (10-23-37-24-1)

Amazing entry last year that deserved so much better than a 13th place. It was very original, and an amazing vocalist. This is kinda cheap and tacky, even if it starts off quite well. You heard it a million times before. I am sure they will reach the final and also reach the top 10. Paula has a great voice, but gets a bit shouty at times. A male singer is needed, but they should have used someone else than Ovi.

Yummi-factor (Ovi): 4/10

I want to go here next year factor: 10/10
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree with Romania re: Ovi. In all live performances so far, Ovi has carried Paula, who has been dreadful.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Disagree with Romania re: Ovi. In all live performances so far, Ovi has carried Paula, who has been dreadful.

Hm. You could have a point. I guess Im just expecting her to pick it up until CPH...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    31. UK (39-26-9-32-12)

I like the “power to the people” part, but apart from that, I don’t really see what’s so special about this. Like Spain, nice intro, and then very repetitive. I really like her voice, she sings well, and at least the UK found a singer who isn’t 80 years old. Still doesn’t work for me though…

I want to go here next year factor: 3/10
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jaccobabe wrote: »
    34. Finland (11-18-39-13-23)
    I want to go here next year factor: 1/10
    Why, Jacco? :confused:;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rosetta12 wrote: »
    Why, Jacco? :confused:;)

1. Very expensive. Almost like Norway

2. I have been to Finland 5 times since 2011. (but never before tbh...)

:)
  • silentNatesilentNate Posts: 84,079
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    32. Romania (10-23-37-24-1)

Amazing entry last year that deserved so much better than a 13th place. It was very original, and an amazing vocalist. This is kinda cheap and tacky, even if it starts off quite well. You heard it a million times before. I am sure they will reach the final and also reach the top 10. Paula has a great voice, but gets a bit shouty at times. A male singer is needed, but they should have used someone else than Ovi.

Yummi-factor (Ovi): 4/10

I want to go here next year factor: 10/10

BIB - So true :(

I'm hoping they do well this year :)
  • rosetta12rosetta12 Posts: 4,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1. Very expensive. Almost like Norway

2. I have been to Finland 5 times since 2011. (but never before tbh...)

:)
    Ok :) Actually, Norway is the more expensive of the two of us (based on all surveys I've seen) ;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    30. The Netherlands (21-8-26-18-10)

So they finally qualified last year, and even made it to the top 10. I think most Eurovison fans were very happy about that. This is another quiet, understated entry. Like in so many other songs, I really like the intro to the song, but then it goes kinda nowhere. Wouldn’t call it boring, but it’s not too exciting either. I still like it, and wouldn’t be sad if they reached the final.

Yummi-factor (Waylon): 9/10

I want to go here next year factor: 5/10
  • Lisa.BLisa.B Posts: 57,273
    Forum Member
    Yummi-factor (Waylon): 9/10

Impeccable taste! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    29. Norway (15-33-13-21-13)

Very good entry and excellent performance from us last year. This year I’m not really sure. It was the big favourite to win in Copenhagen, but has luckily dropped a little bit with the bookies. I don’t get this one. That being said, I didn’t get Loreen or Emmelie either. He looks a bit awkward on stage, and his vocals are not amazing. The song itself reminds me a bit of Didrik, but at least he was yummi ;) The piano in the beginning is very good, but when he starts singing, it’s just weird…

Yummi-factor: 1/10

I want to go here next year factor: 0/10