Options

Thats Entertainment vs HMV

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,703
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Noticed one of these stores a few days ago. Sells alot of replay stuff and cheap.

Seems a bit of a Zavvi rival to HMV. How come they don't open up more stores?

Comments

• Options
    TomGrantTomGrant Posts: 4,251
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed one of these stores a few days ago. Sells alot of replay stuff and cheap.

Seems a bit of a Zavvi rival to HMV. How come they don't open up more stores?

I can imagine it being a tough market considering the low prices at online retailers like Amazon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    TomGrant wrote: »
    I can imagine it being a tough market considering the low prices at online retailers like Amazon.

Poundland do all the replay stuff but it's limited so it's quite a good idea a store that has a proper selection for a cheap price.
  • Options
    Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come they don't open up more stores?
    1) Newish chain from the north of England
    2) Depends on where you live - my GF has three within 20 minutes drive

So give it time
  • Options
    Marksw76Marksw76 Posts: 969
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    1) Newish chain from the north of England
    2) Depends on where you live - my GF has three within 20 minutes drive

So give it time

Yes they seem to be progressing further South. A great place to pick up long deleted compilation CDs. Not all of there stock is second hand though, I thought they had bought the stock of old Virgin/Zavvi shops but I could be wrong...?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Marksw76 wrote: »
    Yes they seem to be progressing further South. A great place to pick up long deleted compilation CDs. Not all of there stock is second hand though, I thought they had bought the stock of old Virgin/Zavvi shops but I could be wrong...?

Was it not Head Entertainment? I think most of there shops later shut down.
  • Options
    bbclassicsbbclassics Posts: 7,806
    Forum Member
    I used to love Thats Entertainment but apparently the only one local to me (Cheshire Oaks) has now shut down. :(
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's one in Doncaster, but I rarely buy anything. Simply because they have to be the worst laid out stores ever, and I get bored looking before I find anything I want.

Even the staff don't seem to get the logic of the layout- if there is any?
  • Options
    Loz_FraggleLoz_Fraggle Posts: 5,759
    Forum Member
    Was it not Head Entertainment? I think most of there shops later shut down.

No, Head came out of the ashes of Zavvi, when That's Entertainment first emerged I think a lot of their stock was from chains that had gone bust, now I think that has thinned out and a lot of stuff comes from Music Magpie and other similar outfits.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What happened to the Newcastle store?
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    What happened to the Newcastle store?

They are redeveloping the part of Eldon Square that it was in.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lea_uk wrote: »
    They are redeveloping the part of Eldon Square that it was in.

Is it moving or left the city for good?
  • Options
    lea_uklea_uk Posts: 9,648
    Forum Member
    I think it has left for good. I'd love to see it come back at some point.
  • Options
    glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    I loved the Newcastle store and was disappointed when it closed. The old Metro Centre store was the best though. I bought absolutely loads from there. I don't know why they closed that one either. Very disappointing.
  • Options
    AcerBenAcerBen Posts: 21,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didn't realise they had started to close stores. I hope they're not struggling. I love the Manchester one. Can't help thinking there's no long term future for them though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AcerBen wrote: »
    Didn't realise they had started to close stores. I hope they're not struggling. I love the Manchester one. Can't help thinking there's no long term future for them though.

They seem to shut up shop and open a new store in another town. I notice there's a few new ones opened. They don't seem to want to expand much. The Glasgow one moved to the old Game shop in a better location.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats Entertainment have an interesting strategy. They had a store in Glasgow, moved then shut and opened there only Scottish store in Livingson. The Newcastle store has also shut now.

Maybe they can't compete with CeX who have stores in most towns now?
  • Options
    hmeisterhmeister Posts: 2,371
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thats Entertainment have an interesting strategy. They had a store in Glasgow, moved then shut and opened there only Scottish store in Livingson. The Newcastle store has also shut now.

Maybe they can't compete with CeX who have stores in most towns now?

Cex have 2 stores in Newcastle and 1 in the Metro Centre plus there's at least one in every town or city.

The was a That's Entertainment in Chester but I think it closed and became a Pret. The last time I was in Manchester I went to a large That's Entertainment which was extremely cheap and had a massive selection.

Edinburgh has a Fopp and a Cex which are quite close to each other but Fopp is nearly as bad HMV for high rip off prices.