Options

Do you agree with euthanasia?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 687
Forum Member
✭✭
I really do.

I think most of our elderly people have to go through hell before they die.

Comments

• Options
    UKMikeyUKMikey Posts: 28,728
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voluntary? Then yeah.
  • Options
    dee123dee123 Posts: 46,317
    Forum Member
    That's such a complicated question. In a lot of cases, yes. I do.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    In certain cases yes but you can't just pop them off the first time they ask as they may just be having a bad day.

But after things have been done and they feel they really would be better off if they died then yes
  • Options
    SpamJavelinSpamJavelin Posts: 1,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure I agree with you that most elderly people go through hell before they die: but certainly some people of any age at all go through hell before they die and that's utterly unacceptable. Always been a staunch supporter of euthanasia/assisted suicide.

It'll come, even to this country. As with most things in Britain, we won't do the right thing until and unless every other avenue has been tried first, but I do think that in the long run - maybe not in my lifetime but not much further away - we'll make provision in this way of some sort.
  • Options
    Bedsit BobBedsit Bob Posts: 24,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only for politicians, Estate Agents, and people who work for TV Licensing. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    UKMikey wrote: »
    Voluntary? Then yeah.

Yes voluntary. But I've worked in old people's homes where people have signed living wills in their seventies saying 'for gods sake don't keep me alive if I get dementia' and we're still keeping them alive, treating their chest infections and changing their pads. Living wills aren't legal. They should be.
  • Options
    Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Under certain circumstances yes.

It is already possible as long as you don’t mind ‘offing’ yourself earlier than is strictly necessary. You need to be fit enough to travel to get to Switzerland, which probably means that you are wasting a few months of life.

I watched my mother waste away in a hospice; she was terminally ill and only had a few months. She didn’t enjoy the hanging around. I’ve also seen my father in law with advanced dementia, who in his late 80’s is frail and doesn’t know what is going on around him.

Yet there are people who think it’s right that they should remain like this.
  • Options
    Elphie_LivesElphie_Lives Posts: 4,455
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a tough situation. I can see why peole would want to have it, maybe one day I'll want it.
    Maybe it isn't my place to agree or disagree with it.

I don't know, I guess as long as it was heavily regulated then I can't think of a good enough reason to not allow it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. After witnessing my gran left without food and fluids until she died 2 weeks later... I definitely think it should be allowed.

It is something that should be allowed and families should enter into dialogue in the good times, so that they can prepare, ready for the bad times.

An animal in my grans situation would have been put out of their suffering.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It is already possible as long as you don’t mind ‘offing’ yourself earlier than is strictly necessary. You need to be fit enough to travel to get to Switzerland, which probably means that you are wasting a few months of life.
    Unfortunately, while true as far as it goes, this doesn't cover people who are catastrophically incapacitated very very suddenly, such as Daniel James (rugby accident) or Tony Nicklinson (massive brain haemorrhage).
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes as long as it's voluntary and quick, none of this taking food and water away and allowing nature to take it's course. Simple injection is what is required.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I watched my mother waste away in a hospice; she was terminally ill and only had a few months. She didn’t enjoy the hanging around. I’ve also seen my father in law with advanced dementia, who in his late 80’s is frail and doesn’t know what is going on around him.

Yet there are people who think it’s right that they should remain like this.

Yes. It's awful people still have to travel to Switzerland.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »
    Yes as long as it's voluntary and quick, none of this taking food and water away and allowing nature to take it's course. Simple injection is what is required.

Well exactly. The British way is still to starve people to death. It's inhuman.
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always been with the idea of people who are terminally ill. being allowed to take their own life
    with the aid of a drug/s.. we do it to animals. no question asked.. IF i was told i had a certain time left, and every day would get worse, with pain and suffering. and there was no cure.. I would like to have while still able to, to end my own life.. AND why cannot a dr or a family member just help me to overdose.. if i still have a sane mind to do so..
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, I do.
  • Options
    AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have always been with the idea of people who are terminally ill. being allowed to take their own life
    with the aid of a drug/s.. we do it to animals. no question asked.. IF i was told i had a certain time left, and every day would get worse, with pain and suffering. and there was no cure.. I would like to have while still able to, to end my own life.. AND why cannot a dr or a family member just help me to overdose.. if i still have a sane mind to do so..
    Totally agree with this.
  • Options
    BizBiz Posts: 14,756
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    molliepops wrote: »

Couldn't agree more.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well exactly. The British way is still to starve people to death. It's inhuman.

They do. You would not do that to an animal.

Two weeks it took my gran to pass. Two weeks of her writhing about, two weeks of being doped up on tranqs and Morphine.

They knew she was going to die, they knew it was a matter of time. They knew there was no hope but to add insult to illness they had to let her and her family suffer it out.
  • Options
    rick182rick182 Posts: 11,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    People would be committing murders left right and center if it was legalized!...In the sense they would take advantage of the change in law by saying that's what such and such wanted
  • Options
    Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rick182 wrote: »
    People would be committing murders left right and center if it was legalized!...In the sense they would take advantage of the change in law by saying that's what such and such wanted

Right, so you imagine that if the UK legalised euthanasia, any Tom, Dick or Arsehole would be allowed to carry it out?
  • Options
    workhorseworkhorse Posts: 2,836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I really do.

I think most of our elderly people have to go through hell before they die.

terminally ill patients who get four hourly morphine until they die from it is common practice.
    Making a law to allow early death would be abused,I have no doubt about that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some issues/questions are distinguished by the ease of their solubility.

We don't have to wonder about this scenario - we already have several nations and several US states where assisted suicide is legal. We don't have to invent what-ifs: we can actually look at how these territories conduct themselves. So the question becomes a very simple one. Do we see people being murdered left, right and centre?
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member

It wouldn't be that easy it would have to be done by a Doctor and papers signed you couldn't just walk into Granddad's room and bump him off.

A vet can put a animal down no problem but if someone killed their dog because they didn't want it any more they would be getting a call from the RSPCA and maybe some jail time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In certain situations, perhaps but it's so difficult to legislate where it would not be abused. If fact I would consider it impossible to have a system in place that could not be twisted or taken advantage of. You only have to consider other area's, C-sections when your having a baby apparently you cant 'book' one but we all know if you want one it wouldn't take much persuasion. Abortion also I think most would agree it's more or less on demand.

I found the Terry Prachet documentary very difficult to watch; very depressing and the only posssitive bit I could see was the man in the hospice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They do. You would not do that to an animal.

Two weeks it took my gran to pass. Two weeks of her writhing about, two weeks of being doped up on tranqs and Morphine.

They knew she was going to die, they knew it was a matter of time. They knew there was no hope but to add insult to illness they had to let her and her family suffer it out.

It's so awful and sad. Is there a religious element maybe? We just won't let people die. One of the worst things about the uk.