Count Arthur Strong TV sitcom?

Comments

• atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll just put a word in for Hut 33, Deep Trouble, My First Planet and Brian Gulliver's Travels.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,603
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If we're veering off into listing our favourite Radio Four comedies can I put a shout in for "Old Harry's Game"?
    :D
  • ilovewallanderilovewallander Posts: 41,961
    Forum Member
    The problem with parodying phone-in radio is that it's so bad, it's a parody of itself. If you have ever listened to the rambling, misinformed halfwits that phone in after Any Answers, you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm convinced Radio4 only broadcasts it for its comedy value.

Other top-class Radio4 comedy includes Cabin Pressure, The Castle, Clare in the Community, John Finnemore's Souvenir Programme (brilliant Archers spoof last night), ****, Mags & Bags, Start, Stop etc. I'm sure there's loads of others I've missed. Honestly, the quality of comedy on Radio4 is just streets ahead of the badly written, derivative shite that is most new TV comedy.

I'll have to start listening to the radio for comedies, I never bother with it. Judging from previous comments, there are quite a lot of good comedies out there.
  • seejay63seejay63 Posts: 8,800
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    If we're veering off into listing our favourite Radio Four comedies can I put a shout in for "Old Harry's Game"?
    :D

Oh yes, mustn't forget that. Brilliant :D
    I'll have to start listening to the radio for comedies, I never bother with it. Judging from previous comments, there are quite a lot of good comedies out there.

Radio 4 at 6.30pm is the comedy slot (not always sitcoms - I'm Sorry I Haven't a Clue, Just a Minute), but there's one at 11.30 am on Radio 4 too (not every day I don't think though).

Does anybody else here like David Sedaris? I enjoy it when Radio 4 have him on reading his essays :D
  • jzeejzee Posts: 25,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Please put this series out of its misery BBC!
  • Simon_Smith3Simon_Smith3 Posts: 282
    Forum Member
    I started listening to Radio 4Xtra between 10pm and midnight quite by accident a few weeks back. I didn't even know there was a Radio 4Xtra! There's so much brilliant stuff on there it's remarkable. I love CAS. Okay, you get the odd clunker (I can't stand "The League Against Tedium" - probably the most ironic title ever), but it's so much better than TV. I tend to watch streams after midnight then go to bed with podcasts (I keep odd hours as a self-employed freelance and am never out of bed before ten in the morning). I can't remember the last time I sat down for "an evening's TV".
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    jzee wrote: »
    Please put this series out of its misery BBC!

" Strictly ...." forum is that way.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The problem with parodying phone-in radio is that it's so bad, it's a parody of itself. If you have ever listened to the rambling, misinformed halfwits that phone in after Any Answers, you'll know what I'm talking about. I'm convinced Radio4 only broadcasts it for its comedy value.

^ This.

I have Radio 2 on all day as background at work and Jeremy Vine's lunchtime programme, which is a topical discussion show, is the low-point. "Phone in and give us your totally ill-informed point of view" he might as well say.

As for Count Arthur Strong (to keep on topic), I tried the radio series but couldn't warm to it, and I tried the TV series but couldn't warm to it.
  • atgatg Posts: 4,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Count did an interview on Loose Ends yesterday, in character, to promote his new book. Cringeworthy and shouldn't have bothered.
  • mychmosemychmose Posts: 503
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They are iniviting people to apply to be in the audience at Pinewood for Series 2.

Unfortunately "In the first series, Michael wrote the book – but it turned out to be just as much about Arthur. The second series sees Michael return to Bulent’s café – and Arthur’s chaotic world – there’s just something that draws him back."

So nobody took our advice about ditching Michael, the cafe and make it more like the superb Radio Show :(
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    It needs Zahra Ahmadi in it ;)
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Count Arthur Strong is back for Series 2 on BBC1!
    It's on Tuesday 10:35pm
    Not a great time, but I remember Citizen Khan starting out in that slot, so if all goes well it could end up on Fridays where I think It really belongs.

I was lucky enough to be in the audience with my Dad for the episodes 'The day the clocks went back' and 'The affair' and it was a great evening. This series is every bit as good as the first from what I've seen, I also got to shake Bulent's hand and he asked me how I was!:D
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Bump for new series.
  • hunter23hunter23 Posts: 3,097
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    is he on drugs or something? he can't seem to stop moving
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Spectacularly unfunny.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    what is it with bbc putting on crap sitcoms at 10.30 at night? this sort of sitcom should be on way earlier anyway
  • Hyram FyramHyram Fyram Posts: 3,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They've tried to make it more 'realistic'. But if it was more realistic, everyone he met would ask him why he was called 'Count'. It's a jolly radio cartoon that should have been left as it was.
  • Billy_ValueBilly_Value Posts: 22,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they've put it in the death slot so i can't see a third series
  • CorabalCorabal Posts: 3,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loved it.
  • SnrDevSnrDev Posts: 6,094
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed that. Some larf out loud moments, silly jokes, cast enjoying it - who clocked CAS struggling not to laugh when he knocked the clock off the shelf? - and a bit of fun.
  • AmusedmooseAmusedmoose Posts: 1,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Really great opener to the series. It picked up really well from where it left off and it was almost like the show had never been away. Really nice to see Oliver Dimsdale on TV again too! Only problem is the time slot is all wrong and they really should have repeated the first series on BBC1, so the new audience could get into it. I'm not sure how well people would have taken to it not knowing the characters and the trailer kept implying it was a 'brand new sitcom'. Bizarre decision from the BBC (but then that's nothing new);-).
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hunter23 wrote: »
    what is it with bbc putting on crap sitcoms at 10.30 at night? this sort of sitcom should be on way earlier anyway

Didn't that Ben Elton POS end up in this slot?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    Didn't that Ben Elton POS end up in this slot?

Yes I think so. Also citizen khan started off at that time too. Seems to remember another crappy one with some Irish guy too but I forget the name.
  • IJoinedInMayIJoinedInMay Posts: 26,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought it was OK. It's the type of comedy that would be able to swap places with Still Open All Hours in that early Sunday evening slot. However for that reason, I can't see it becoming a huge hit. It's more of the same really.

Hopefully Eggy and "the fixer" continue to feature as the scenes involving only the writer character and Count Arthur Strong weren't as good.
  • simfransimfran Posts: 114
    Forum Member
    Fantastic. Just as good as ever.