Options

is it safe to go to phuket, thailand as a solo traveller?

marc_p88marc_p88 Posts: 1,133
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Or do you think it's safer to go with someone?

I want to go for 10 days, but I read something on trip advisor that worried me a bit. It was from another traveller and he spoke of his experience in phuket and thai mafia.

Anyone been there as a solo traveller and, if so, would you say it's safe enough?

Comments

• Options
    fredsterfredster Posts: 31,802
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    Or do you think it's safer to go with someone?

I want to go for 10 days, but I read something on trip advisor that worried me a bit. It was from another traveller and he spoke of his experience in phuket and thai mafia.

Anyone been there as a solo traveller and, if so, would you say it's safe enough?

My son is in Thailand at the moment on his own, this is his third visit. he meets people along the way. and travels all over the.country.
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's safe to travel almost anywhere in the world, solo, depending on your level of experience, language ability and attitude. Other variables are gender and budget, but I think the first three are the most important.
  • Options
    ~Twinkle~~Twinkle~ Posts: 8,166
    Forum Member
    What an unfortunate name for an island. I suspect that the OP isn't serious, the thread is simply an excuse to use its name. ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    It's safe to travel almost anywhere in the world, solo, depending on your level of experience, language ability and attitude. Other variables are gender and budget, but I think the first three are the most important.

Well, I've no experience of travelling alone. But obviously I wouldn't go there with a bad attitude and I'd learn the basic language that I needed to. I'm a 25 year old male.
  • Options
    gasheadgashead Posts: 13,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mumof3 wrote: »
    This, basically. A solo traveller who's done his research, e.g. knows a bit of local lingo, knows the currency, areas to avoid, local customs etc, is likely to stay out of trouble more than a group of five people who go into a vastly different culture completely clueless. ATEOTD, it doesn't matter how many of you there are, if you stray into local Mafia territory, you're still in big trouble.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fredster wrote: »
    My son is in Thailand at the moment on his own, this is his third visit. he meets people along the way. and travels all over the.country.

I was certainly thinking about talking to some people online beforehand, just so I could meet up with some fellow travellers.
  • Options
    TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    I went on my own when I was 18 and had no problems.

That was nearly 30 years ago mind.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Thailand is hardly off the beaten track, stay in hostels and you will meet plenty of people of a similar age doing the same as you.

If you want to look for people who might join you for all our pay off the time
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 372
    Forum Member
    Damn, posted to soon.

If you want to find travel buddies for all our part of the trip try looking on the Lonely Planet Thorntree forums, there is one dedicated to travel in Thailand and another to post or search for travel companions.
  • Options
    CaptainObvious_CaptainObvious_ Posts: 3,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phuket, just go
  • Options
    Bob_WhingerBob_Whinger Posts: 1,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When I read the OP, I assumed they were female. Just realised he is a bloke. Go.
  • Options
    Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    phuket, just go

Hehehe! :D
  • Options
    BMRBMR Posts: 4,351
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    phuket, just go

Oi, I was about to crack that one! :p:D
  • Options
    Mumof3Mumof3 Posts: 4,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For a young confident bloke, Phuket should be a doddle, if you've any experience of travelling outside Europe, solo or not. If not, be sensible, and sensitive to the notion of incoming affluent Westerners, and have a great time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,391
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone goes Thailand these days. Don't follow the crowd, do something different.
  • Options
    fi~fi~ Posts: 5,481
    Forum Member
    dont assume all thai ladies are infact ladies ;)
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    ~Twinkle~ wrote: »
    What an unfortunate name for an island. I suspect that the OP isn't serious, the thread is simply an excuse to use its name. ;)

...but an appropriate one given what goes on there.
    tothegrand wrote: »
    Everyone goes Thailand these days. Don't follow the crowd, do something different.

...such as visit the island of Sint Maartin/Saint Martin in the Caribbean which is divided between the Netherlands and France - see http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5c/Saint_martin_map.PNG.

You get a tropical paradise, excellent coral reef diving, two cultures plus it's very good for extreme plane spotting at Princess Juliana International Airport - see https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=princess+juliana+international+airport&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=j5ZEUozMG6et7Qb1j4GQAg&sqi=2&ved=0CDgQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=600&dpr=1.
  • Options
    ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Phuket is jam packed full of western tourists and travellers. Really safe place to go but tacky. You won't get the true Thai experience there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Phuket is jam packed full of western tourists and travellers. Really safe place to go but tacky. You won't get the true Thai experience there.

I don't know where else woyld be nice to go. I still want to party and have fun. I heard phuket was good for that. There and pattaya.
  • Options
    goldframedoorgoldframedoor Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was told by my parents recently that nowhere in the world is at all safe for solo travelers these days! :( (Although I would love for them to be somehow proved wrong!)
  • Options
    ParkerParker Posts: 998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marc_p88 wrote: »
    I don't know where else woyld be nice to go. I still want to party and have fun. I heard phuket was good for that. There and pattaya.

I've been to Thailand twice this year so far. Pattaya is a dump and very much just an expat city full of foreigners.

Not done Phuket but heard that it has basically gone the same way.

I would recommend Krabi (not far from Phuket but much nicer from what I have heard having only been to Krabi but not Phuket).

Bangkok is worth a visit as there is lots to see. Chiang Mai in the north was also nice and for a large city much more relaxed than Bangkok.

If you are looking to party then the full moon party on Ko Pha-ngan is pretty much the biggest party you'll go to with a pretty amazing setting. If you go during peak time though it will be packed! Ko Samui is a short ferry ride away too which is worth a visit.

English is used over there although we did find a lot of taxi drivers that didn't speak it well. All signs are in both Thai and English which helps. Felt very safe everywhere we went, however a lot of people we met did try and screw you over. Everything has a Thai price and a tourist price so negotiate everything down.
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't know Thailand, but I'd say that anywhere on earth can be dangerous if you act like an idiot. Conversely, most places are pretty safe if you're sensible. Bad luck can strike anywhere though, I'd have thought.
  • Options
    InspirationInspiration Posts: 62,706
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was told by my parents recently that nowhere in the world is at all safe for solo travelers these days! :( (Although I would love for them to be somehow proved wrong!)

Nothing is totally 100% safe but as long as you take the right precautions it doesn't have to be dangerous. Just following a few rules can make sure you're not a pick pocket victim or a scam victim. The rest is just common sense. Sticking to places you know and don't go exploring at night. That sort of thing.

It would be a shame if people didn't travel because of fear.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah, this is the only concern of mine. I have no friends who want to go Thailand. I would like to travel on my own as never done it before and feel it would be a great experience and learning curve for me.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nothing is totally 100% safe but as long as you take the right precautions it doesn't have to be dangerous. Just following a few rules can make sure you're not a pick pocket victim or a scam victim. The rest is just common sense. Sticking to places you know and don't go exploring at night. That sort of thing.

It would be a shame if people didn't travel because of fear.

Been scammed once when I went with family to africa. Thought we had genuine friends and they turned out to just want our money. I certainly know what to look out for now. It helps that research is easier now, as a lot of advice is online from fellow travellers etc.