Shouting from next door.....

Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
Forum Member
Next door to me are a young couple who have been there about 4/5 years. They have three children aged from about 5 to around 10.

It is and has always been a quiet neighbourhood so to hear shouting coming from next door was something very new to me when it started after they moved in.

It is always the man who is shouting at the woman and very often ends up in the front garden whereupon the woman leaves, to return later.

This is not an everyday occurrence....perhaps once every few months

In the meantime I find the husband a nice person who is always very polite with me.

I am not comfortable with saying nothing but I really haven't known what to do.

This morning was a little different as he was shouting very loudly at the top of his voice for what seemed ages ...calling her a f****** s*** and telling her to get out of the house ...at one point I heard something smash.

I dithered ...again ...not knowing what to do but then I saw that he had left. I felt I should phone somewhere as I wasn't only worried about the woman I was worried for the children who were in there listening to it.

I then saw her outside so I went out and told her I was thinking of phoning Social Services or somewhere as this could not go on ...for her sake and the childrens. She turned on me and said everything was alright and I couldn't phone anywhere.
She said things would be alright when he calmed down.
I said to her what would I do if something happened to her and/or the children and I had stood by and done nothing.

I asked if she had family she could discuss it with and she said no...I then impressed on her that I was worried for her and the children.
I see her husband is now back ...his car is outside ...and am hoping I don't get a brick through my window.

I just really needed to see what others would have done in my position.

I really upsets me to think of young children being subject to this every so often.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    I think perhaps you are over reacting, everyone argues and some are more hot tempered than others. You've said yourself it's once every few months, not nightly. Gosh the rows my ex and I had must of sounded awful, we'd not row for months then have a massive blow out over washing up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    Couples have rows. It`s normal to blow off steam every so often. I`ve been married nearly 50 years and we used to have some terrible arguments. I can even remember throwing a glass vase at my husband. And I remember my parents rows. We used to cover our heads with pillows to try and block it out.
    I suppose it depends how bad and how often your neighbours rows are. If it is every day then they have a problem. Occasional rows happen in all families.
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member
    bazaar1 wrote: »
    I think perhaps you are over reacting, everyone argues and some are more hot tempered than others. You've said yourself it's once every few months, not nightly. Gosh the rows my ex and I had must of sounded awful, we'd not row for months then have a massive blow out over washing up.
    In front of three young children? It can't be good for them to hear their mother being called a f****** s*** over and over again can it?
    I never hear them during the rows ..I imagine them cowering in a corner. :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,145
    Forum Member
    Jo March wrote: »
    In front of three young children? It can't be good for them to hear their mother being called a f****** s*** over and over again can it?
    I never hear them during the rows ..I imagine them cowering in a corner. :(

I didn't say it was right, and yes I've had rows when my kids are In bed. I suspect anyone who says they haven't is telling fibs. Nobody is perfect. I don't swear in front of my kids, but some choose to - that is their choice.

As for the cowering in a corner, I think your being over dramatic at best and a nosey busy body at worst. Was there anything to suggest the children were involved/in danger? Not according to your posts. My suspicion would be that they were upstairs wondering what was going on, but not being overly concerned about it - generally shouting doesn't bother kids if it's a one off (or once in a blue moon), god my kids don't bat an eyelid when I lose my temper.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member

This people row
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    I didn't say it was right, and yes I've had rows when my kids are In bed. I suspect anyone who says they haven't is telling fibs. Nobody is perfect. I don't swear in front of my kids, but some choose to - that is their choice.

As for the cowering in a corner, I think your being over dramatic at best and a nosey busy body at worst. Was there anything to suggest the children were involved/in danger? Not according to your posts. My suspicion would be that they were upstairs wondering what was going on, but not being overly concerned about it - generally shouting doesn't bother kids if it's a one off (or once in a blue moon), god my kids don't bat an eyelid when I lose my temper.

ooh and this too Bazaar and I seem to be agreeing a lot lately when we come across each other:D
  • Jo MarchJo March Posts: 9,256
    Forum Member

Well I honestly don't think I'm being either of those ..just a concerned mother.

I came on here to see what others thought .... it's an interesting read.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    {guardian reader mode}
    if you speak louder than normal within earshot of a child you are committing child abuse and as such should hand your children in to the nearest social worker and yourselves to the police to be put on the child protection register and sterilised to prevent more abuse

{everyone else}
    so now and again you have a blow out...its probably good and healthy as problems get settled not left to fester and while its not the absolute best for kids to hear it i doubt it will cause any harm as like most things in a week they'll of forgot it happened

our next door neighbour when she's got a BF always seems to wait till her daughters with the father before having a barney with the BF but she's a paranoid thing and always ends up slapping them and accusing them of sleeping around even when they've not been out of her sight for more than about 5 mins, we always dead the weekends when theres a BF and the poor kids shipped off for the weekend as it always ends up with a 2am barney where he wants out but she won't give him his phone and thus theres 2-3 hours or shouting just when you fancy a nice nights kip
  • Pippa 2Pippa 2 Posts: 2,614
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo March wrote: »
    Next door to me are a young couple who have been there about 4/5 years. They have three children aged from about 5 to around 10.

It is and has always been a quiet neighbourhood so to hear shouting coming from next door was something very new to me when it started after they moved in.

It is always the man who is shouting at the woman and very often ends up in the front garden whereupon the woman leaves, to return later.

This is not an everyday occurrence....perhaps once every few months

In the meantime I find the husband a nice person who is always very polite with me.

I am not comfortable with saying nothing but I really haven't known what to do.

This morning was a little different as he was shouting very loudly at the top of his voice for what seemed ages ...calling her a f****** s*** and telling her to get out of the house ...at one point I heard something smash.

I dithered ...again ...not knowing what to do but then I saw that he had left. I felt I should phone somewhere as I wasn't only worried about the woman I was worried for the children who were in there listening to it.

I then saw her outside so I went out and told her I was thinking of phoning Social Services or somewhere as this could not go on ...for her sake and the childrens. She turned on me and said everything was alright and I couldn't phone anywhere.
    She said things would be alright when he calmed down.
    I said to her what would I do if something happened to her and/or the children and I had stood by and done nothing.

I asked if she had family she could discuss it with and she said no...I then impressed on her that I was worried for her and the children.
    I see her husband is now back ...his car is outside ...and am hoping I don't get a brick through my window.

I just really needed to see what others would have done in my position.

I really upsets me to think of young children being subject to this every so often.

Good God, mind your own business! It really has nothing to do with you. Everyone rows, particularly in these hard times but calling Social Services is way OTT. How would YOU like it if the tables were turned. Interfering neighbours like you I'm sure they could do without.:rolleyes:
  • RAINBOWGIRL22RAINBOWGIRL22 Posts: 24,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt social services would be able to do anything based on the info you have given.

Maybe the wife will tell her husband about your conversation and things will quieten down??
  • GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Unless you hear actual physical violence you should not interfer. No its not ideal for children to hear such rows but its the harsh reality of family life for many. Most are not perfect parents and have tempers. I certainly grew up in a violent household with constant rows and abuse.

If you suspect the children are being physically abused then thats another matter. But having social services swooping on them for rowing ocasionally is way OTT at this stage from what youve described.
  • GlowstickGlowstick Posts: 269
    Forum Member
    Pippa 2 wrote: »
    Good God, mind your own business! It really has nothing to do with you.

well if you can hear it then it kinda is your business and can be very annoying. I had a couple always fighting in the flat beneath me once. I complained to the landlord and they were kicked OUT soon after. I dont play :cool:
  • crazybeatscrazybeats Posts: 383
    Forum Member
    I think Jo is only trying to help. I admire a woman who's willing to lay it all on the line for the good of others.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glowstick wrote: »
    well if you can hear it then it kinda is your business and can be very annoying. I had a couple always fighting in the flat beneath me once. I complained to the landlord and they were kicked OUT soon after. I dont play :cool:

Yes, but this is different. The OP is jumping to conclusions and quite frankly it's pathetic.
  • dazbdazb Posts: 3,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see where your coming from Jo but honestly don't get involved unless your life is at risk, I'm sure the woman concerned is responsible to know what to do, if u get involved then he might come after you calling u a nosy bleeder, stay out of it luck after yourself, besides you wouldn't get any thanks, let someone else complain.
  • lcbagwashlcbagwash Posts: 343
    Forum Member
    Is this a joke? Your poor neighbour lollllll
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I doubt social services would be able to do anything based on the info you have given.

Maybe the wife will tell her husband about your conversation and things will quieten down??

Actually social services take domestic abuse seriously when children are present and they would be quite likely to contact the family to see what support they could offer. I personally think the OP was right to have a chat with the neighbour and hopefully things may calm down a bit now but if they dont I think the OP should make that call.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Taglet wrote: »
    Actually social services take domestic abuse seriously when children are present and they would be quite likely to contact the family to see what support they could offer. I personally think the OP was right to have a chat with the neighbour and hopefully things may calm down a bit now but if they dont I think the OP should make that call.

Another nosey parker.:rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    Anyone would think people should be androgynous drones who get along with everyone just fine and the minute anyone dares to raise their voice they should have their children taken into care for their own good. We seem to be shifting to this THX1138 world vision and that's a scarier thought than someone having a ding-dong in their own house and where people should really be minding their own business - particularly if it is an infrequent event and no suspicion that someone is getting a good hiding.

It's not an ideal scenario when couples row, but it's better to have a blow out every now and again as it can help clear the air. In most cases it's the quiet ones you want to watch out for as they will have dead people at their dinner table and carry on like everything is normal for years on end.
  • laurieloulaurielou Posts: 1,454
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

So a bloke screaming f***ing s*** at his wife every so often is is "normal" argument behaviour in most marriages, is it?

Delightful. Not where I come from, it isn't.

OP, I'd have been a bit concerned as well. I wouldn't have said I was calling social services, though. I'd have just asked her if everything was alright. That's just being a good neighbour.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,078
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shouting and screaming at the top of your voice that your partner and mother of your children is a f******* s***, throwing things and carrying on and ending up on the lawn outside is not normal and not acceptable.

Unfortunately, it would appear that the woman condones it by the fact the cycle is repeated and by making apologies for her partner's behaviour when to most people it would be inexcusable.

It is also none of your business now you have been told not to interfere. All you can do is be supportive if either party chooses to confide the reality of the situation to you. If you log a report of the noise with the council saying you are being disturbed by it and report any serious incidents to the Police as soon as they occur as a breach of the peace.

You can tell them how much it upsets you to see them carry on and how it disturbs you, but to be honest apart from suggesting they get help with their issues there is little else you can do.
  • TweenyTweeny Posts: 283
    Forum Member
    I think the OP is right in being concerned about her neighbours' welfare. But I would phone the Police's non emergency line 111, and explain my concerns to them. They would do a welfare check on the neighbours by visiting them and if needed they would involve the social services.
    Forum Member
    laurielou wrote: »
    So a bloke screaming f***ing s*** at his wife every so often is is "normal" argument behaviour in most marriages, is it?

Maybe she's shagging the neighbour?
  • TagletTaglet Posts: 20,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Its a shame there were no noisy parkers living next door to Daniel Pelka and Hamzah Khan and dont you think?....both children were living in households where domestic abuse was a factor. When women place abusive men above their own children the consequences can be tragic.

I am much more than a noisy parker....I actually care what happens to children.
    Forum Member
    I think the OP lives next to some noisy parkers. Unless they are called Smith.