Luke should be runner up

grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
Forum Member
I think Luke was very good so watched some of his performances again on YT - I think he should have come 2nd.
I thought his version Something about the Way You Look Tonight was actually really good (shame it was cut as all XF songs are), and Run was also impressive, he had a great voice (seemed like a cross between the Leona and Snow Patrol versions). I Will Wait suited him to a tee :)

Comments

• stargirl1stargirl1 Posts: 5,573
    Forum Member
    He also had some terrible performances. In his sing off with Rough Copy he was awful. And the last few weeks he seemed to mistake shouting for singing.
  • Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    He got less votes than the other two so why should he be anywhere other than where he was?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I glad he was third because Nicholas got a really hard time going head to head with Sam and I would have hated that to happen to Luke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 266
    Forum Member
    stargirl1 wrote: »
    He also had some terrible performances. In his sing off with Rough Copy he was awful. And the last few weeks he seemed to mistake shouting for singing.

don't get me started in final he sang we were young by fun and he destroyed it out of tune so much he only had about 3 or 4 good performances on the show really he was shouting a lot in songs
  • earldbestearldbest Posts: 3,894
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kangroo4 wrote: »
    I glad he was third because Nicholas got a really hard time going head to head with Sam and I would have hated that to happen to Luke.

You do know that they would have been nicer to Luke, right? :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    earldbest wrote: »
    You do know that they would have been nicer to Luke, right? :p

Prob but still glad he was third :),although I would love to have heard his winners single
  • hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dont get me wrong I like Luke but it was right that he came 3rd
  • yohinnchildyohinnchild Posts: 52,502
    Forum Member
    2nd or 3rd, it doesn;t really matter.

We know out of the three finalist he will be by far the biggest act.

Nicholas got to the final on tears alone which helped him stay out of the bottom 2. Luke got there on talent, determination and building up a good fanbase which will see in through when he releases music.

As seen by Sam's current record sales, she isn't going to be the second coming and if Nicholas gets anywhere near the top of the official charts it will be a miracle.

It would've been good to see him top boy, but lets be honest it doesn't matter overall. Nicholas won that battle, but Luke will win the war
  • Patti-AnnPatti-Ann Posts: 22,747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree. Luke got to the final and that's good enough.
    Forum Member
    I doubt any of the final three are going to set the charts alight or sell many records.
  • hannahhannah Posts: 13,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    2nd or 3rd, it doesn;t really matter.

We know out of the three finalist he will be by far the biggest act.

Nicholas got to the final on tears alone which helped him stay out of the bottom 2. Luke got there on talent, determination and building up a good fanbase which will see in through when he releases music.

As seen by Sam's current record sales, she isn't going to be the second coming and if Nicholas gets anywhere near the top of the official charts it will be a miracle.

It would've been good to see him top boy, but lets be honest it doesn't matter overall. Nicholas won that battle, but Luke will win the war

Nicholas got to the final because he is extremely talented and was always in the top two of the vote and not because of the tears
    Forum Member
    hannah wrote: »
    Nicholas got to the final because he is extremely talented and was always in the top two of the vote and not because of the tears

I'd say that's obvious when you look at the voting figures. He only cried once during the semi finals but was storming ahead in the voting with Sam the whole way through.
    Forum Member
    hannah wrote: »

The tears would almost certainly account for the 1.5% difference between him and Luke that week and but for them would've likely been eliminated against Rough Copy lets be honest
  • Mel94Mel94 Posts: 6,568
    Forum Member
    don't get me started in final he sang we were young by fun and he destroyed it out of tune so much he only had about 3 or 4 good performances on the show really he was shouting a lot in songs

I think that was more down to Louis than anything. Both of his acts struggled with the songs he gave them, so it was obvious he was half assed about it when he knew Sam had more chance of winning.
    Forum Member
    The tears would almost certainly account for the 1.5% difference between him and Luke that week and but for them would've likely been eliminated against Rough Copy lets be honest

That's just speculation. He was ahead of Luke every single week in the competition and there's no reason why he wouldn't have been ahead in the semi final crying or not. His Elton John song pulled it back for him. Luke would probably have still come third even if Rough Copy had got through over Nicholas anyway.
    Forum Member
    That's just speculation. He was ahead of Luke every single week in the competition and there's no reason why he wouldn't have been ahead in the semi final crying or not. His Elton John song pulled it back for him. Luke would probably have still come third even if Rough Copy had got through over Nicholas anyway.

Again speculation on your part. So really there is nothing to discuss :)
    Forum Member
    Again speculation on your part. So really there is nothing to discuss :)

What I will say is that based on the sing off Luke should never have gone through over Rough Copy, since practically every note he sang was out of key. So Luke was very lucky to come third, never mind be runner up :)
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Even if he hadn't cried and Luke had overtaken him, Nicholas would have still had to drop a hell of a lot further to poll as few as Rough Copy. I'm not saying they wouldn't have dumped Nicholas if he'd been in 3rd more than 10% of the vote ahead of RC because I suspect they would have, but it would have been a hell of a difficult decision to justify.
    Forum Member
    What I will say is that based on the sing off Luke should never have gone through over Rough Copy, since practically every note he sang was out of key. So Luke was very lucky to come third, never mind be runner up :)

Seeing as there should never have been a sing off and never usually is, its a hollow argument. Luke had so much more the vote than RC that in the long run its hard to form an argument that saving them so late on in a sing off was justified given the votes.
  • sycamoresycamore Posts: 4,213
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I guess you didn't hear RC's sing off then. And hardly 'lucky', there should never have been a sing off anyway and he was miles ahead of RC in the voting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 69
    Forum Member
    Nicholas is a better singer than Luke so deserved his runner up spot
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Patti-Ann wrote: »
    I agree. Luke got to the final and that's good enough.

Indeed :) He's done very well :)
    I'm sorry but I didnt really watch the show much at all this year :blush:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not really fussed about Luke. He is very eager to perform, not afraid to try something different and wants to please his audience, and that does him great credit. However, he is not unique and original IMO. I have seen many better singer guitar players on the live circuit over many years. It maybe that today there are not so many around, so he may standout to the younger audience. He has to concentrate on hitting the right notes when gets excited. It's bad enough elsewhere but sounds truly awful when he bellows the big notes discordinately!
    Nick fully deserved to be ahead of Luke in this competition. He sang in tune, when within his comfort zone, and was pretty consistent throughout. I have a feeling he has been done a great disservice by the show though because there does not seem to have been much development of his performances. Nor does there seem to have been decisions made in his best interests regarding song choices (Halo & Candy obvious examples).
    I am not a fan of any of the boys but it seems to me that Luke had all the input whereas Nick had to just get on with it, but Nick won the battle of the boys because he was simply a better singer!
  • Nastyman69Nastyman69 Posts: 4,497
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would have preferred him to win over Sam and Nick
  • VolVol Posts: 2,393
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Luke was my favourite but I disagree that he should have been runner up. The top 2 were the top 2 in the voting throughout. It is impressive that Nicholas managed to stay ahead of Luke with the heavy sabotage that went on from week 7 onwards.

Also I'd say Luke underperformed in the final. A crap duet parter didn't help either.