What Now For Nintendo?

DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
Forum Member
✭✭✭
With a third straight financial loss, the poor showing of the Wii U and the 3DS doing well, but being shy of the sort of numbers the DS did, what do you think Nintendo should do now? If you were in charge of them What would be their new direction.

Should they stick with Wii U, ditch it, slash the price? Release games on MS/Sony Consoles? etc.

Comments

• Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    With a third straight financial loss, the poor showing of the Wii U and the 3DS doing well, but being shy of the sort of numbers the DS did, what do you think Nintendo should do now? If you were in charge of them What would be their new direction.

Should they stick with Wii U, ditch it, slash the price? Release games on MS/Sony Consoles? etc.

Release games for other consoles, while working on another console (AND CONTENT for it!!!).
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think they may aswell just put up with the Wii U, but dedicate most of their time to planning the next home console (or would the next handheld be next?).

But I think it would be unwise to do a massive promo campaign for the Wii U. Maybe it's just me.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,357
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I want Nintendo to recover but they keep making the same mistakes. I feel the Wii U will have a very short life span this gen. A new proper next gen console has surely been discussed at Nintendo offices.
  • SimonB79SimonB79 Posts: 3,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like em 2 go software (& handheld only) ... When it comes to consoles they simply haven't got a clue! ... The Wii was a total fluke (that'll never be repeated) & everyone now knows it! :(
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,405
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SimonB79 wrote: »
    I'd like em 2 go software (& handheld only) ... When it comes to consoles they simply haven't got a clue! ... The Wii was a total fluke (that'll never be repeated) & everyone now knows it! :(

The Wii's success doesn't need to be repeated. I don't think anyone - not even Nintendo themselves were expecting another showing like the U.

What they need to do is advertising the console. The first failing has been totally in the name. In fact, ING was reported, before the U was even released that people weren't going to get that the U is a totally new console. And guess what? They didn't. They need to be showing it's a NEW console and stop using the Wiimotes in advertising. The Rufus Hound videos went out to try and show the U is a brand new console, but it actually IMPLIED that the U was an addon!

THEN, they release another advert on their YouTube (was also show on TV in the US, if I remember correctly) that said the Wii U is not an addon. Great. What is the next image? Oh yeah, the family all sitting around the TV using Wiimotes!

Advertising is the key. Nintendo already have a strong first party line up, but it's about time they took note of Sony and Micrsoft and BUY exclusives for their console (fair enough, they did for Bayonetta). GTA V not releasing on the U? Okay. Buy it for the U. It will cost money, but surely one of the most important things at the moment is gaining a large install base for the U so that future software and the like sells better?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always thought it was a lucky gimmick that attracted casual gamers. The Wii has taken Nintendo too far away from hardcore gamers to make a comeback and compete with PS4 and XBOX one. Sad but true.
  • Sick BulletSick Bullet Posts: 20,770
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm starting to think they should go handheld only too, put everything in to it make a powerful little gem, the next Animal Crossing on a next gen handheld ooh my :)
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    They'll just milk another 12 Mario based games for the next year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    brb wrote: »
    The Wii's success doesn't need to be repeated. I don't think anyone - not even Nintendo themselves were expecting another showing like the U.

What they need to do is advertising the console. The first failing has been totally in the name. In fact, ING was reported, before the U was even released that people weren't going to get that the U is a totally new console. And guess what? They didn't. They need to be showing it's a NEW console and stop using the Wiimotes in advertising. The Rufus Hound videos went out to try and show the U is a brand new console, but it actually IMPLIED that the U was an addon!

THEN, they release another advert on their YouTube (was also show on TV in the US, if I remember correctly) that said the Wii U is not an addon. Great. What is the next image? Oh yeah, the family all sitting around the TV using Wiimotes!

Advertising is the key. Nintendo already have a strong first party line up, but it's about time they took note of Sony and Micrsoft and BUY exclusives for their console (fair enough, they did for Bayonetta). GTA V not releasing on the U? Okay. Buy it for the U. It will cost money, but surely one of the most important things at the moment is gaining a large install base for the U so that future software and the like sells better?

TBH! No amount of advertising is gonna convince Joe Public to part with £250+ for a system that's technically piss poor (compared 2 the X1 / PS4) & has no 3rd party support (in 2014) whatsoever!!! :(
    Forum Member
    Oh and the wii u is NOT next gen!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rich_L wrote: »
    They'll just milk another 12 Mario based games for the next year.

Well ... We won't be playing TombRaider, MetalGearSolid, FinalFantasy etc etc so it's either Mario or nowt LOL! ;-)
    Forum Member
    Mario 3D land is lovely, don't get me wrong but when you'll get Mario Is On The Cover For This Game (tm) for no other reason (like Winter Olympics, which is pish) then it just doesn't make sense.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Where's a new Metroid or Star Fox I don't know what is going through there minds at Nintendo. Looking at the new releases for this year looks pretty good with Mario Kart, Smash Bros and Tropical Freeze 3rd party consists of nothing but Watchdogs. Once all the 1st party releases are out what next for Nintendo surely they must have some more exclusives up their sleeves.
    Forum Member
    Still Bayonetta 2 eh??!!!!...
    Forum Member
    Yeah, are Retro working on metroid or what?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wii U, by definition is next gen. It may not live up spec wise to other next gen consoles (although, I believe it was Ubisoft who said that the U isn't as behind the PS4/XBO as people think, anyway).

Besides that, Wii U has more confirmed 60fps 1080p HD games confirmed than any other next gen consoles.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, are Retro working on metroid or what?
    Retro sums up Nintendo quite well :).
  • beemohbeemoh Posts: 7,073
    Forum Member

You're right. It's current gen, just like xBox One and PlayStation 4.
  • geemonkeegeemonkee Posts: 2,720
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there a future for handhelds? Tablets and smartphone gaming must be taking a huge slice out of the market. Shame, Nintendo have championed handhelds for a LONG time and quite successfully too.

In regards to the Wii U, don't think Nintendo will ditch it - they've had underselling consoles before. They'll continue to release exclusive titles to help it - think the latest Mario game helped sales?

Hope it picks up more, Nintendo are good for consoles and bring something diffirent to the table.
  • calvin101calvin101 Posts: 332
    Forum Member
    I have little sympathy for Nintendo after the dismal performance of the Wii U - the first 12 months of the 3DS were an absolute disaster and although they've successfully turned things around for it, I still remember them repeatedly promising that they would never make the same mistake of releasing a console and then not having decent software for it - and not more than a few years later, that's exactly what they did again.

I think the Wii U will have a markedly short life span, if only because they're hurrying their franchaise stalwarts out of the traps very early - generally each of their consoles houses one iteration of the core Mario games - though they've extended that slightly by having a 2D and 3D series (plus the Wii had two 3D Marios, admittedly); one Mario Kart, one Super Smash Bros - both of which will be here probably by the middle of the year. About the only thing they have left is a new Legend Of Zelda (I'm not really counting the Wii as having two of those because one was a port of the GC game), and that's not really a series which is going to majorly shift consoles, however well the games tend to score with critics.

So they're basically going to have thrown their entire catalogue at the console within two years and I struggle to see what they'll do after that. My hope is that they'll use the time to develop some new franchises because as I've said elsewhere before, I do think there's only so many times a new Super Mario and Mario Kart will save their consoles - and Super Mario 3D Land didn't really turn things around at all, which was probably their biggest chance.

Clearly they're not about to go bankrupt, so I'm not really concerned about their long-term fortunes - and I think that although smartphones have damaged the handheld console market, there is room for both since generally speaking, the quality and depth of the games between the two platforms differs massively - and I think the market for smartphones is about as saturated as it is ever going to get, so if the 3DS can still shift a decent amount of consoles in that enviroment, it's something Nintendo can still rely on in the next few years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Wii U is pretty much dead but they have to support it, look what happened with Sega they released the Saturn it didn't do well they rushed out the dreamcast but nobody wanted to be fooled twice so they stayed away, the dreamcast was amazing but that didn't matter

In my opinion if Nintendo stop supporting the Wii U anytime before 2017, giving it a 5 year run, then they could be in deep trouble

I can only speak for myself when i say after spending over £400 at launch for a Wii U, if Nintendo released another home consoles within 5 years I'd be staying away, id be interested to here what other Wii U owners think would you be willing to risk getting burned again?
  • Air ResistanceAir Resistance Posts: 5,145
    Forum Member
    This has happened to Nintendo before, there are calls from xbox/ps players for them to just develop games but in reality, Nintendo will come back.

After an initial disaster with the 3ds, its become a lot more successful. Looking back at the gamecube, they got things wrong but they supported the console right through its lifespan and had some fantastic games, then came back with one of the best consoles off all time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomas2400 wrote: »
    The Wii U is pretty much dead but they have to support it,

Not really. In fact, U sales have been increasing month on month, and IGN have reported that in December, the Wii U had its best month yet (including launch month) in Europe, North America and Japan. If anything, sales are on the rise - in quite a big way too (although, let's be honest, after their last Q2 results there was no where to go other than up!).
  • GormondGormond Posts: 15,838
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I mentioned this in the other thread.

I would do a relaunch of the Wii U, which would involve changing its name to Wii 2, dropping the game pad and replacing it with the pro pad and dropping the price.

If that fails I would release a new console in maybe 2 years that is more powerful than the PS4 and compete head on with Sony and MS.
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A lot of the doom surrounding Nintendo is overblown. They are still in great financial shape compared to certain other console manufacturers. That said, its definitely disappointing that despite the incredible year of games the 3DS just had, Nintendo still didn't turn a profit.

I agree that if Nintendo abandoned the Wii U now, I'd be extremely hesitant about buying another one of their consoles. Luckily, I don't see that happening.

The Wii U has such negativity surrounding it (some of it deserved, a lot not), that the console will probably need to relaunched and redesigned - probably around the time MarioKart / Smash is released.

I don't see any point in ditching the gamepad when the best games on the system require it, but a lot of people seem to have irrational hate for it. Maybe make a smaller version that's less costly?

They should release the 2DS in Japan.

I'm not sure about Nintendo embracing mobile, as it would take away from the 3DS which is Nintendo's most profitable device - or to put it another way, its Nintendo's home console that is causing the trouble, not their handheld.

I expect Nintendo to release more companion apps for mobile phones. Animal Crossing furniture collection, Nintendo direct countdown app, that sort of thing.

I think Nintendo will still consider their hardware the core part of their business, and anyone expecting full Nintendo games to appear on any other console or phone will be disappointed.