Proof that Jesus existed.

Comments

• FMKKFMKK Posts: 32,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
  • Mitten KittenMitten Kitten Posts: 1,185
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jesus was a common name in those times. How do they know which one it was referring to?:confused:
  • annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    written several hundred years beyond his death, what is it supposed to be proving?
  • James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    I thought it was going to be the first selfie found
  • chaffchaff Posts: 985
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm still holding out for fossil evidence of Raptor Jesus.
  • BelfastGuy125BelfastGuy125 Posts: 7,515
    Forum Member
    Jesus? Doesn't he play for Man City?
  • Fairyprincess0Fairyprincess0 Posts: 30,075
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've been waiting for space Jesus. I think he was killed by the C.I.A
  • PeteAPeteA Posts: 759
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought it was going to be the first selfie found
    Wouldn't that be the Shroud of Turin? ;-)
  • CryolemonCryolemon Posts: 8,670
    Forum Member
    I'm an atheist, and I believe Jesus existed. I just don't believe he was the son of god. He was a radical preacher who pissed too many people off.
  • CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have in my possession the true gospel of Jesus' hairdresser. It's not very long, unlike Jesus' hair.
  • spiney2spiney2 Posts: 27,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    maybe they will find his teenage diary ....... "dad-up-there says i cant have a girlriend because of my Special Mission ......."
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think there very probably was a preacher called Jesus in the Middle East at that time, just like there was almost certainly a fisherman called Jim in 20th century Grimsby.
  • Mark39LondonMark39London Posts: 3,977
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Cryolemon wrote: »
    I'm an atheist, and I believe Jesus existed. I just don't believe he was the son of god. He was a radical preacher who pissed too many people off.

As in a Christian version of Abu Hamza al-Masri.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't see how it's proof Jesus existed, just proof that he was written about, and I don't think anyone denies that. :D

I still lean towards him being a metaphor or a literary tool/ personification of an idea(l), rather than a real person.
  • ViridianaViridiana Posts: 8,017
    Forum Member
    I'm an atheist and i also agree that Jesus existed.

But this "evidence" means nothing, we are talking about something written in the middle ages about a Jesus. I do not know what authenticity they are trying to prove. It's not a fake in relation to what?
  • wakeywakey Posts: 3,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

But where is the evidence. The Romans were some of the best record keepers in history but he isn't mentioned in any record during the period he should have been around based on Biblical accounts. The few Roman mentions of him come in two accounts that are been 70 and 90 years later. If there was a Radical preacher who was enough of a throne in the side of them that they felt he needed to be crucified surely there should be more records of him.

I suspect that in reality Jesus is like Robin Hood. Its lots of different people and different stories that over the years have been amalgamated into single mythological person
  • Keyser_Soze1Keyser_Soze1 Posts: 25,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is rather a long thread related to this very subject (and many and other things) which now basks the Holy Glory and Light of a Part Two! ;-) :D
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wakey wrote: »
    But where is the evidence. The Romans were some of the best record keepers in history but he isn't mentioned in any record during the period he should have been around based on Biblical accounts. The few Roman mentions of him come in two accounts that are been 70 and 90 years later. If there was a Radical preacher who was enough of a throne in the side of them that they felt he needed to be crucified surely there should be more records of him.

I suspect that in reality Jesus is like Robin Hood. Its lots of different people and different stories that over the years have been amalgamated into single mythological person
    Yes, I think it's not unreasonable to think that a Jesus may have existed but the gospels weren't written as straightforward recounting of facts, but as propaganda, theology etc.

A preacher or ideas of a preacher may have been a useful hook to hang the start of a movement on and politics and culture took over from there over the centuries.
  • edExedEx Posts: 13,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    From the article....
    But King says the fragment does not mean Jesus had a wife, but rather is an affirmation that "that women who are mothers and wives can be disciples of Jesus — a topic that was hotly debated in early Christianity as celibate virginity increasingly became highly valued," King explained in the statement.
    There were absolutely MASSES of religions and cults across ancient Greece and the Middle East that valued celibate virginity. Just another thing the Christians pinched from other faiths by the look of things.
  • lightdragonlightdragon Posts: 19,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    edEx wrote: »
    From the article....

There were absolutely MASSES of religions and cults across ancient Greece and the Middle East that valued celibate virginity. Just another thing the Christians pinched from other faiths by the look of things.

In fairness it's a stroke of genius in order to get people to convert. ;-)
  • cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    Jesus obviously existed as he was recorded in Roman documents from the time.

Whether all the other facts about him are true are open to debate.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cantos wrote: »
    Jesus obviously existed as he was recorded in Roman documents from the time
    Sorry, but he wasn't. That's why people doubt that he existed at all.
  • ArcanaArcana Posts: 37,521
    Forum Member
    I suspect Mr Christ is a composite character like Robin Hood or most of the protagonists in The Great Escape.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Arcana wrote: »
    I suspect Mr Christ is a composite character like Robin Hood or most of the protagonists in The Great Escape.
    Christ on a motorbike :)
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

He's not the Messiah , He's a very naughty boy