Options

The Christmas song I can't stand.

Comments

• Options
    CoreenBaconskinCoreenBaconskin Posts: 596
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I worked in a dept store years ago and in mid October they put on a Christmas CD on continuous loop. Shaky, Cliff, Gary Glitter and Slade on continuous repeat. It was hell!

I did grow to like December Will be Magic Again by Kate Bush and Stop the Cavalry though because they were so different. And how can anyone hate Fairtyale of New York - its practically a modern hymn!!
  • Options
    Fibromite59Fibromite59 Posts: 22,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing worse that that dreadful horrible disgusting Mistletoe and Wine by the most worshipful Cliff Richard! :(

There have been other songs he has made at Christmas too that have been planned to ruin our Christmas like Saviour's Day, Daddy's home and Millenium Prayer.

Believe it or not, I am a practising Christian, but can't stand Cliff Richard and really feel like I need a sick bowl when I see him or hear his voice. A real Christian doesn't need to boast and show-off about themselves and what they do.

My all time favourite is Mary's Boy Child by Bony M.:sleep:
  • Options
    Button62Button62 Posts: 8,463
    Forum Member
    Azagoth wrote: »
    It's a damn good tune, but it's not a Christmas song though. :)

If anything, it's an anti-Christmas song.

The guy who wrote the lyrics says it is about the loss of childhood innocence.

I just love the sound of it and to me it is still the best xmas song.
  • Options
    stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is nothing worse that that dreadful horrible disgusting Mistletoe and Wine by the most worshipful Cliff Richard! :(

There have been other songs he has made at Christmas too that have been planned to ruin our Christmas like Saviour's Day, Daddy's home and Millenium Prayer.

Believe it or not, I am a practising Christian, but can't stand Cliff Richard and really feel like I need a sick bowl when I see him or hear his voice. A real Christian doesn't need to boast and show-off about themselves and what they do.

My all time favourite is Mary's Boy Child by Bony M.:sleep:

I've always suspected that if there IS a God, He'd really, really hate Sir Cliff.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 164
    Forum Member
    I hate Fairytale of New York. I find it absolutely atrocious.
  • Options
    BundymanBundyman Posts: 7,199
    Forum Member
    Fred wrote: »
    I hate Fairytale of New York. I find it absolutely atrocious.

I love that song. Best Xmas song ever i reckon.

Just for the record!...The following are NOT Xmas songs, they just happened to be in the charts around Xmas, so record companies use them as filler tracks on Xmas cds

Frankie-Power of love
    Paul McCartney-Pipes of peace
    East 17-Stay another day
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    I agree. Totally overplayed and somehow a 'classic' because it talks about 'cool' things like being drunk, fighting and spending a night in the slammer.

I like 'Stop the Cavalry by Jonah Lewie', 'Merry Xmas Everyone' by Shaky and 'Step into Christmas' by Elton John.

I hated this with a passion when it first was released, but over the years-the many, many years since, I've grown to like it. :confused: I've absolutely no idea why. :D
  • Options
    Dragonlady 25Dragonlady 25 Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    stoatie wrote: »
    I've always suspected that if there IS a God, He'd really, really hate Sir Cliff.

Oh stoatie, you've given me the best laugh this Christmas.

Thank you!! :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 53,142
    Forum Member
    Cliff and Shaky any come out at christmas time lol, bahhumbugs :D
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some songs are so annoying, but listening to Kurt and Blaine on 'Glee' do their version of Baby It's Cold Outside is warming.
  • Options
    MesostimMesostim Posts: 52,864
    Forum Member
    bollywood wrote: »
    Some songs are so annoying, but listening to Kurt and Blaine on 'Glee' do their version of Baby It's Cold Outside is warming.

The date rape song... I can think of less warming things.
  • Options
    LurkalotLurkalot Posts: 1,563
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My favourite is Christmas Wrapping by the Waitresess and my least favorite is the Elton John effort step into christmas, absolute s***e.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Whoever decided Coldplay would be a good band to make a Christmas record obviously hates Christmas. Most depressing song, and band, ever.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    The date rape song... I can think of less warming things.

Eew, why do you have date rape on your mind?
  • Options
    cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    I can't stand Mistletoe & Wine by Cliff Richard. It's such a boring dirge :yawn:

That one depresses me a lot.
    Shaiya wrote: »
    Merry Xmas Everybody by Slade :mad:

I hate that song too, its overplayed and just drives me mad!!
  • Options
    Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,882
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ambassador wrote: »
    Well Mr Connors, I do hope you'll be back to your in the wrong self for the New Year and I'll do my best to get back to my righteous self :D

:D

Consider it done Mr A. although you did get the above around the wrong way old boy ;):)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,418
    Forum Member
    Mistletoe and Wine makes me smile everytime I hear it. Granted, the song is crap, but it reminds me of being a kid when my uncle (he's chinese, married to my Aunt) used to sing it to me every year in his chinese accent, getting all the words wrong. :D I think it must've been his fave Christmas song, he didnt seem to know any others!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Eew, why do you have date rape on your mind?

Just look at the lyrics.. She tells him no enough times so he gets her drunk to pursuade her.

So really i'd better scurry
    (beautiful please don't hurry)
    but maybe just a half a drink more
    (put some records on while i pour)
    the neighbors might faint
    (baby it's bad out there)
    say what's in this drink
    (no cabs to be had out there)
    i wish i knew how
    (your eyes are like starlight now)
    to break this spell
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Here's the version from Glee: The part about the drink is not meant literally:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/03/glee-baby-its-cold-outside/
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Here's the version from Glee: The part about the drink is not meant literally:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2010/12/03/glee-baby-its-cold-outside/

Kind of glossed over the drink part entirely though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mesostim wrote: »
    Kind of glossed over the drink part entirely though.

No the line's right there. It's a 1944 song meant to be flirty, just as Kurt and Blaine do it.
  • Options
    passionfruit69passionfruit69 Posts: 684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How can you not like it, this is my favourite xmas song of all time it almost makes me cry it is a lovely song.

We hear this and slade and the rest of them every xmas cos guess what ,they are classics and the bands of today havn't a clue how to produce a classic xmas song, how many even attempt to bring out a brilliant xmas song? The Darkness bought out a good xmas song but even that one doesn't get much air time. Slade and many xmas songs produced in the 70's were all brilliant they used to bring out song after song there was a lot of competition in those days to bring out a new song at xmas but todays bands don't seem that bothered for some reason.

So we will continue to hear these songs year after year until todays bands bring out new ones, which I doubt very much as most of todays music isn't worth listening to, some are ok but much of it is crap. :yawn:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm astonished no-one has mentioned my most-loathed Christmas song, which I hate so much I once abandoned most of my Christmas food shopping in Tescos as I couldn't stand it any longer - Aled Jones: "Walking In The Air". He'd be walking under water if I had my way.

I'm not sure that the song itself is so dreadful, but it suffers massively from over-exposure and I feel my blood pressure rising just thinking about it.

I like the old ones best, and have a particularly soft spot for "Winter Wonderland", which always makes me feel cheerful.
  • Options
    2shy20072shy2007 Posts: 52,579
    Forum Member
    Ovalteenie wrote: »
    It's a shame that Another Rock 'n' Roll Christmas has been blacklisted. You never hear it played anymore at this time of year. Apparently people can't stand it now.

Don't hate me for saying I think its a cracking good song:o

Its one of my faves, I have it on a CD and play it every year :)
  • Options
    ArtymagsArtymags Posts: 18,136
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Windy999 wrote: »
    I'm with you there Artymags - triple the nausea if it is sung by a tiny tot - quadruple it if they are dressed as an angel / shepherd!
    OMG yes.
    And bring the nausea to the power of ten if the tiny tot dressed as an angel/shepherd/star has a wonky tinsel halo and is being videoed by simpering parents.