weather girls

Comments

• JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Emma Jesson back on Central Weather today! Been a long time! Great to see her back on.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    JordyD wrote: »
    Emma Jesson back on Central Weather today! Been a long time! Great to see her back on.

She has been on Granada, I think she has moved because she has married, we will miss her up here.
  • radioanorakradioanorak Posts: 4,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How many weather women are there.?
    First there is the one following the news from the regions. Then another following the national news.
    On a Sunday we get a 3rd forecast during Country File.
    I know the British are obsessed with the weather. But come on ,one forecast should suffice.
    I wonder how many staff the Met Office employ.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    First there is the one following the news from the regions. Then another following the national news.
    I know the British are obsessed with the weather. But come on ,one forecast should suffice.

The regional one is as it goes into more detail. The national one helps people who are travelling outwith there region. The countryfile one is for the week ahead
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    Keeley Donovan - Look North, sometimes reads the News.
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    GarryMc wrote: »
    I bat for the other team, but I've always found Becky Mantin really attractive!

I dont but so do i.
  • stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stansfield wrote: »
    Keeley Donovan - Look North, sometimes reads the News.

She is lovely
  • dodradedodrade Posts: 23,678
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She has been on Granada, I think she has moved because she has married, we will miss her up here.

Wasn't she going out with Bill Roache until recently?
  • tinmantinman Posts: 3,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    stv viewer wrote: »
    She is lovely

Bit small on top
  • kelvokelvo Posts: 3,433
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PhilH36 wrote: »
    She [Kaddy Lee-Preston] had a baby girl and named her Albany Rainbird!

Very unusual and lovely name - Rainbird was her grandmother's maiden name and everyone on was suggesting beforehand that she might have a weather related baby name.

Georgina is also expecting a baby girl and her last day is Feb 6th. She's quite a lovely girl but do wish she would wear something other than black or blue dresses - must be brighter and more colourful maternity wear that looks stylish (she needs to have a word with Charlotte Hawkins :))
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sian Welby on Channel 5 Weather. Only reason for watching their forecasts :D
  • Steffan_LeachSteffan_Leach Posts: 4,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Speaking of weather, anyone got the day off work today?? I work at a school and just before i arrived I got a call saying it was closed because of the snow. Quite heavy in Lancashire, don't know about other parts of the country.
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought that too, I have counted 49 so far. Imagine you owned a broadcast network for the UK, how many weather people would you employ? I'd say about 8, an early shift of 3 to make bulletins for the breakfast & early news, they would then record bulletins for the afternoon news. A second shift to record for the late news briefings. Also these weather people would not have to be expert meteorologists, only presenters as the weather data could come from the UK Met Office.
    Presenters I have counted so far >
    Aʟᴇx Dᴇᴀᴋɪɴ
    Aʟᴇx Dᴏʟᴀɴ
    Aʟᴇxɪs Gʀᴇᴇɴ
    Aʟɪɴᴀ Jᴇɴᴋɪɴs
    Aɴɴᴀ Cʜᴜʀᴄʜ
    Aɴɢɪᴇ Pʜɪʟʟɪᴘs
    Bᴀʀʀᴀ Bᴇsᴛ
    Bᴇᴇ Tᴜᴄᴋᴇʀ
    Bᴇʜɴᴀᴢ Aᴋʜɢᴀʀ
    Bᴇɴ Rɪᴄʜ
    Cᴀʀᴏʟ Kɪʀᴋᴡᴏᴏᴅ
    Cᴇᴄɪʟɪᴀ Dᴀʟʏ
    Cʜᴀʀʟɪᴇ Sʟᴀᴛᴇʀ
    Cʜʀɪs Bʟᴀɴᴄʜᴇᴛᴛ
    Cʜʀɪs Fᴀᴡᴋᴇs
    Dᴀɴ Hᴏʟʟᴇʏ
    Dᴀʀʀᴇɴ Bᴇᴛᴛ
    Dᴇʀᴇᴋ Bʀᴏᴄᴋᴡᴀʏ
    Eʟɪᴢᴀʙᴇᴛʜ Rɪᴢᴢɪɴɪ
    Gᴇᴏғғ Mᴀsᴋᴇʟʟ
    Gᴇᴏʀɢɪɴᴀ Bᴜʀɴᴇᴛᴛ
    Hᴀɴɴᴀʜ Bᴀʏᴍᴀɴ
    Hᴇʟᴇɴ Wɪʟʟᴇᴛᴛs
    Hᴏʟʟʏ Gʀᴇᴇɴ
    Iᴀɴ Fᴇʀɢᴜsᴏɴ
    Jᴀʏ Wʏɴɴᴇ
    Jᴜᴅɪᴛʜ Rᴀʟsᴛᴏɴ
    Jᴜʟɪᴇ Rᴇɪɴɢᴇʀ
    Kᴀᴛᴇ Kɪɴsᴇʟᴀ
    Kᴀʏ Fᴏʀᴇsᴛᴇʀ
    Kᴇᴇʟᴇʏ Dᴏɴᴏᴠᴀɴ
    Kɪʀsᴛᴇᴇɴ Mᴀᴄᴅᴏɴᴀʟᴅ
    Lɪsᴀ Gᴀʟʟᴀɢʜᴇʀ
    Lᴏᴜɪs Lᴇᴀʀ
    Mᴀᴛᴛ Tᴀʏʟᴏʀ
    Mᴇʟ Cᴏʟᴇs
    Pᴀᴜʟ Mᴏᴏɴᴇʏ
    Pᴇᴛᴇʀ Gɪʙʙs
    Pʜɪʟɪᴘ Aᴠᴇʀʏ
    Oᴡᴀɪɴ Wʏɴ Eᴠᴀɴs
    Rᴀᴄʜᴇʟ Mᴀᴄᴋʟᴇʏ
    Rʜɪᴀɴ Hᴀғ
    Sᴀʀᴀ Bʟɪᴢᴢᴀʀᴅ
    Sᴀʀᴀʜ Kɪᴇᴛʜ-Lᴜᴄᴀs
    Sᴀʀᴀʜ Tʜᴏʀɴᴛᴏɴ
    Sʜᴇғᴀʟɪ Oᴢᴀ
    Sᴛᴀᴠ Dᴀɴᴀᴏs
    Tᴏᴍᴀsᴢ Sᴄʜᴀғᴇʀɴᴀᴋᴇʀ
    Wᴇɴᴅʏ Hᴜʀʀᴇʟʟ
  • JordyDJordyD Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anna Church who is now with BBC, was originally and briefly a weather presenter on ITV Central East. She won that position as a competition put out by Central at the time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that too, I have counted 49 so far. Imagine you owned a broadcast network for the UK, how many weather people would you employ? I'd say about 8, an early shift of 3 to make bulletins for the breakfast & early news, they would then record bulletins for the afternoon news. A second shift to record for the late news briefings. Also these weather people would not have to be expert meteorologists, only presenters as the weather data could come from the UK Met Office.

Are any of the BBC weather forecasters employed by the Met Office? The likes of Michael Fish, Bill Giles etc were employed by the Met Office and were Civil Servants so didn't work for the BBC, but don't know if that is still the case - I would suspect that for ITV and perhaps BBC regional news and other channels, the likes of Becky Mantin, Laura Tobin are provided with the data from the Met Office rather than actually do all the forecasting - unless they actually are Meteorologists?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    Are any of the BBC weather forecasters employed by the Met Office? The likes of Michael Fish, Bill Giles etc were employed by the Met Office and were Civil Servants so didn't work for the BBC, but don't know if that is still the case - I would suspect that for ITV and perhaps BBC regional news and other channels, the likes of Becky Mantin, Laura Tobin are provided with the data from the Met Office rather than actually do all the forecasting - unless they actually are Meteorologists?

Laura Tobin certainly was trained by the Met Office and worked at RAF Brize Norton for a period.

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/presenters/about-laura-tobin
  • Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Presenters I have counted so far >

That's just copy and pasted from here https://www.facebook.com/bbcweatherpresenters?fref=photo lol
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    chrisjr wrote: »
    Laura Tobin certainly was trained by the Met Office and worked at RAF Brize Norton for a period.

http://www.itv.com/goodmorningbritain/presenters/about-laura-tobin

Ah, so I see that she is actually a meteorologist and been trained by the Met Office but not actually employed by them and also that Becky Mantin was also trained in meteorology.

I do remember Becky saying something about the way the rota works at ITV and that not only do they do the national weather but also provide regional cover - I know a couple of times last year she was on Meridian local weather.

I suppose there are differences between companies, where perhaps the likes of Laura put together their own forecasts, where as others may just have the forecast given to them to "present"
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kelvo wrote: »
    Ah, so I see that she is actually a meteorologist and been trained by the Met Office but not actually employed by them and also that Becky Mantin was also trained in meteorology.

I do remember Becky saying something about the way the rota works at ITV and that not only do they do the national weather but also provide regional cover - I know a couple of times last year she was on Meridian local weather.

I suppose there are differences between companies, where perhaps the likes of Laura put together their own forecasts, where as others may just have the forecast given to them to "present"
    With the BBC at least it seems that they either use Met office people or send presenters off to the Met office for some training. If you click on the names of the presenters on this page

http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/about/19119489

you get a short biography and quite a few started out at the Met Office before moving to the BBC and seems like all of them have had some sort of training at the Met Office even if they didn't start out there.
  • Smiley433Smiley433 Posts: 7,854
    Forum Member
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    That's just copy and pasted from here https://www.facebook.com/bbcweatherpresenters?fref=photo lol

The list is out of date anyway - no mention of Gillian Smart, Kawser Quamer, and I'm sure there are other regional ones too.

Does seem like a very large number just to cover BBC weather output, however.
  • Clank007Clank007 Posts: 2,799
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexis Green on BBC South today is gorgeous. Met her in real life at a fete and is very nice with it too.....she is quite shy which I found quite surprising
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Emma Jesson was back on last nights Granada Reports. Eno was on North West Tonight as well!
  • MONIFIETHBOYMONIFIETHBOY Posts: 786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jim_Ula wrote: »
    Perhaps its me that edits the page Jim? Go visit & guess! :p
  • Jim_UlaJim_Ula Posts: 2,536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps its me that edits the page Jim? Go visit & guess! :p

I did wonder that after I posted the link :)

I only found it as I did a copy and paste googled search on Barra Brest as it was an odd name and the only matches that came up were the facebook page and here.

Lol just looked and like what you did there - I almost feel famous :)
  • Colin VColin V Posts: 156
    Forum Member
    Sue Charles on BBC Wales. She must be tiny because she stands on a box but she has what is probably the best smile on television.